IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

TPMS Problem 2014 IS350 F-Sport Ultra White

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 01:16 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Problem 2014 IS350 F-Sport Ultra White

My TPMS light started flashing after I switched to a set of winter tires on seperate rims.
I bought the set on Kijiji and they are BBS rim and Blizzak WS80 coming off EVO X.

There were TPMS sensors on the rims already when I bought them.
I switched the set of rims in October by myself and was not going to re-program the computer to read the tire pressure from the new sensors.
One week after I switched, the tire pressure light went on flashing and then stays on. (Owner's Manual says go to dealership for flashing TPMS light.)
It is very annoying that the light flashes every time you start the car and have the light on all the time.

I decided to try to fix this issue.
After some research and help from Otakusun's thread ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-on-3is.html ), I went bought a couple of tool and try to fix the problem myself.
Autel TS401 MaxiTPMS: I used it to read off the sensor IDs from the BBS
It looks like the new sensors and OEM sensors are both 315FM, so I assumed they were compatible.
According to the Autel TS401, the BBS sensors are all good and working just fine.
I had my hopes up.

QuickSet TPMS Reset tool: I used it to re-program the new sensor IDs into the computer.
The IDs were successfully written on to the computer.
I thought I would be all good after this.

After I have done so and test drove the car for 15min at ~60kph, the warning light still stays on, which is very annoying.

I have tried press and hold the TPMS reset button under the steering wheel hoping it would do the trick but nothing changed.
I borrowed the scan tool from work and tried to clear the TPMS code so it would scan for the sensors.
Although it shows the new IDs are programmed into the computer, it could not clear the code and the warning light stays on.

I was gonna have a service appointment 2 weeks after and I was hoping the dealership could just clear the code for me and it would start scan for new sensors.
The dealership told me that that it is problem of registering the TPMS sensors, but they are not OEM sensors so they won't touch it. They also quoted me $320+ for the factory sensors plus labor.

After bought ~$400 worth of tool and all the time and effort. It didn't seem to getting anywhere. I am think of returning the Autel tool since I only needed it for reading off sensor IDs. (If anybody from Edmonton wants to buy it off me, I would sell a little cheaper than what I paid for.)
The only thing I can think off now is that when spring comes, I will put on the OEM rims and tires to see if the light will go off. If it stays on then I can have the dealership to look at it at least.
(Can't take my winters off just now because it's -20C here already and I drive on highway everyday.)

Feel free to leave a comment and any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 12-07-16, 01:26 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

It's really strange how this works for some people and not for others. I know there are other members with these tools you have and works on their 3IS. I guess it's like the whole fog light wiring thing all over again. Some cars have the wiring some doesn't.. in the case of the TPMS, some have a system that works with aftermarket sensors, some doesn't.. it's so random
Old 12-07-16, 01:28 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Are your winter tire sensors compatible with your car (or do you know)? I just went through this on Tuesday because I accidentally deleted my sensors (non OEM) from my ECU. Within 5 minutes I was back up and running using the Quickset.
Old 12-07-16, 01:49 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Or a local tire shop. I bought my winter tires and a new set of TPMS sensors from my local chain store. They programmed everything, so they have the tools necessary. Worth a shot before the dealer.
Old 12-07-16, 02:34 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 403 Posts

Mitsubishi TPMS sensors aren't compatible with the 3IS even thought they are also 315Mhz.
So sadly, I don't think you'll get them to work.
Your best bet is to swap them for either OEM or aftermarket sensors compatible with the 3IS and program them yourself since you already can do it.
Old 12-07-16, 04:12 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
Mitsubishi TPMS sensors aren't compatible with the 3IS even thought they are also 315Mhz.
So sadly, I don't think you'll get them to work.
Your best bet is to swap them for either OEM or aftermarket sensors compatible with the 3IS and program them yourself since you already can do it.
Thanks, I guess i don't need to keep trying, but how do you know for sure that they are not compatible?
Old 12-07-16, 04:14 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
It's really strange how this works for some people and not for others. I know there are other members with these tools you have and works on their 3IS. I guess it's like the whole fog light wiring thing all over again. Some cars have the wiring some doesn't.. in the case of the TPMS, some have a system that works with aftermarket sensors, some doesn't.. it's so random
Like I said, I hate people's mistakes that leads to our frustration. During all these diagnoses I found out that my OBD2 port was mounted upside down (had the dealer looked after that already )
Old 12-07-16, 04:20 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Are your winter tire sensors compatible with your car (or do you know)? I just went through this on Tuesday because I accidentally deleted my sensors (non OEM) from my ECU. Within 5 minutes I was back up and running using the Quickset.
The compatibility is another misery that i wasn't so sure of, I do know they are both 315mhz sensors, but user Answer said they are not compatible.
I would definitely take them to the tire shop instead of the dealer if they would charge me for any work. I was just hoping the dealer would clear the error code for the tpms so that the system would start scaning for the new senors.
Old 12-07-16, 04:23 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Sounds like you've already done a lot of trouble shooting on your own. As posted above, make sure transmitters are compatible. Not sure how you do this short of contacting dealer, but I'd start there.

Wish I could help more, but the only thing additional I can recommend is to carefully follow steps to re-initialize the system, as it doesn't sound like your valve transmitters are registered properly, I know, duh. I don't have access to the Canadian spec manual, but regrading the TPWS they may be the same, so here's a link to the US spec online manual, see pages 412, 413 and 414 specific to TPWS:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM53758U.pdf

Failing all else, you may have to go to dealer to correct. Note the top section on page 414, requesting new transmitter ID codes be registered by a Lexus dealer... maybe dealers have a special tool?, who knows.

That's the extent of my knowledge and all I can recommend. Manual and dealer, I know, not much help but good luck.
Thanks! I did try following the owner's manual for reset tpms, none of those seems to work for my case.
Old 12-07-16, 04:23 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by xuzhili23
Thanks, I guess i don't need to keep trying, but how do you know for sure that they are not compatible?
I had an Evo X before and did some research hoping I could keep the same sensors...
Old 12-07-16, 04:25 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Other than the compatibility mystery, I think my problem is that the system is in a ERROR state so it is not scanning for the sensors therefore the warning light stays on.
Old 12-07-16, 04:27 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet, buy 4 new sensors and have a local shop install them (which would probably include syncing them to the car) and be done with it. You have the tools to do the seasonal swaps now. Maybe you can sell the Mitsubishi sensors???
Old 12-07-16, 04:27 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
I had an Evo X before and did some research hoping I could keep the same sensors...
Good to know, thanks!
Old 12-07-16, 04:30 PM
xuzhili23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doodlebug
If it were me, I'd bite the bullet, buy 4 new sensors and have a local shop install them (which would probably include syncing them to the car) and be done with it. You have the tools to do the seasonal swaps now. Maybe you can sell the Mitsubishi sensors???
My goal was to avoid dealing with any shops or dealer when I swap my tires, but if it ends up just needing 4 new sensors, I would do exactly the same as you said.
Old 12-07-16, 04:33 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by xuzhili23
My goal was to avoid dealing with any shops or dealer when I swap my tires, but if it ends up just needing 4 new sensors, I would do exactly the same as you said.
But since you are able to program them, no need for anyone else when you change your wheels!

Quick Reply: TPMS Problem 2014 IS350 F-Sport Ultra White