IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My brand new car's steering wheel still vibrates at highway speeds - after service

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 03:52 PM
poolvibe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Boomette
So I have a new update...afraid it's the same issue. They tried balancing, the did the road force balance, and still had an issue so they replaced the tires. But I finally got my car back and it's still vibrating at high speeds - and I did try another highway. It's in that 75-80 mph range that it really kicks in. I will have to take it back again.

And these are the tires they gave me: Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport --- are these the stock tires for a 2016 IS350 F Sport?
I wonder if they balanced them "dynamicaly" or just a "static" balance. Sometimes the guys balancing tires are not trained fully on calibrating the machine. I would bet that if you took your car to a well respected tire place and paid for a balance, they could solve the problem. Most likely the machine or the tech not getting everything zeroed out...
Old 12-19-16, 09:07 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys - thanks for all the feedback and info you've all provided. Just wanted to give you all a quick update. They told me they balanced it and it zeroed out, then they tried doing a road force balance and it zeroed out - and the problem persists. They've replaced the tires and started all over again and it still persists. They sent me an update on Saturday to state that they are still having the same issue and that the shop foreman wants to keep working on it, so they still have my car. And this is a state of the art facility. I'm hoping to hear something new today.

I am not sure if my car qualifies for Lemon Law here in FL. I looked at it and it seems like it would, but it says the Lemon Law covers "defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety" - this substantially impair phrase makes me question it. But since it's brand new, only had 53 miles when I bought it, and I felt it that very night on my way home from the dealership (once on the highway), it seems like it should qualify. This is the 3rd or 4th time they are trying to fix this and they have had it in the shop over 15 days now in total. Anyone ever been in this situation in FL?
Old 12-19-16, 11:15 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Further update (and a huge thanks for the suggestion PapaLeo!) - but I just got off the phone with the Florida Office of the Attorney General's Lemon Law Division - apparently I do qualify since there has been 3 attempts and it's been over 15 days (and it can be either/or), so I am filling out the forms now. She said it's better to fill it out and be safe/ready than to wait and need to fill it out later and cause further delays. Saying a prayer!
Old 12-19-16, 01:00 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Mine absolutely has no vibration at all at 75.
Old 12-20-16, 08:30 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Unhappy New Update

So here we go again. Reminder: this is a brand new car, vibration found after getting to highway speeds on the way home from purchasing.

I picked up the car from service and the vibration is not 100% gone yet. It's about 70-80% better, but still not right. They did 2 things - they resurfaced the rotors (said there were high spots) and they replaced my tires with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S (apparently the Bridgestone ones were giving them trouble).

I've got the Lemon Law form filled out and ready - was going to send in today but they let me know it was "perfect and smooth" so I waited. Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and send it in and see where it goes. I'm so disappointed that they didn't fix it completely.

SMH, I don't have time for this. It's such a big let-down in this experience of transferring to a new vehicle.

PS - I researched the tires and they're good performance tires per se, but are they better or equal performance from the Bridgestones? Thanks for your time guys.
Old 12-20-16, 08:52 PM
poolvibe
Driver School Candidate

Wondering if one of the wheels has lateral balance issues. Have they tried putting on a set of wheels from another car to narrow it down to wheels/tires? A wheel can balance to zero and still have sided to side vibration. Resurfacing the rotors just lessened the life of the rotor. Not good....
Old 12-20-16, 09:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

You're crazy if you keep the car. Mine care PERFECT from the dealer and thats how all NEW cars should be. Negotiate to get a killer deal on the 2017 due to the issues you've had. Get it LEMONED!
Old 12-20-16, 10:30 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If that would be me, I would file that Lemon papers and had Lexus to buy back that car. You can always pick another similar car from Lexus if desired and just test drive it at that speed on the highway to make sure that another car is perfect. Good luck.
Old 12-20-16, 10:43 PM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like way more work than it has been worth. Send that **** in and lemonize that bad boy
Old 12-20-16, 10:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Didn't test drive on highway speed?
Old 12-21-16, 06:12 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Thanks guys - yes, I'm going to file the Lemon Law papers today. I drove to work this morning and still felt it and was convinced it's the right thing to do. It's definitely better/not as bad as before - but it's still there. And for a new car, it should be perfect.

And no, I did not test drive at highway speeds, this is our 5th Lexus and we've never run into this before, so I truly didn't feel the need...but that will be a requirement from now on...lesson learned!
Old 12-21-16, 06:31 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Let us know how the process goes, genuinely just interested in how it goes and what the various parties do in a situation like this... (the one you send the paperwork too, the dealership, etc..
Old 12-21-16, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have no experience with this, but before filing Lemon Law papers, I would call Lexus customer service and ask them to initiate a buy-back. I've seen others have good luck with this before, as Lexus will often buy back a car they can't fix. I understand this process to be less rigorous and time consuming than the Lemon Law pursuit.

But know that as soon as you file the papers Lexus will not consider that request.

It may be worth a phone call, anyway.

Best of luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
Boomette (12-22-16)
Old 12-22-16, 06:28 AM
Boomette
Rookie

Thanks guys. I tried calling Lexus Corporate yesterday and asked for a buy-back. They need 2 days to review/contact dealer and call me back. I also sent the Lemon Law paperwork as well (sent before I saw JDR76's post). So I alerted Lexus that I sent the paperwork but that I want to know about the buy-back first. She noted it for the agent and said they take all into account and they'd most likely get back to me before they get to the Lemon Law paperwork anyways...so saying a prayer!

In the meantime, the service director for the dealership called me back yesterday and is going to send their shop foreman (been there 17 years) to come do a test drive with me in the car today. Even still, I hope they either figure it out once and for all or just give me a new one.
Old 12-22-16, 12:52 PM
Boomette
Rookie

Just a quick update - the shop foreman came and test drove the car with me and he felt it but just for comparison we also drove to another highway that he usually uses to test drive after service - he confirmed he felt it on both highways and took the car back with him. He felt confident that he could figure it out. So...I will continue praying! I'm now in my 5th loaner...yay. (my neighbors are going to think I work for the dealership!) Anyways, seriously hoping this does it.

Quick Reply: My brand new car's steering wheel still vibrates at highway speeds - after service