IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need Help ASAP with Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 11:30 PM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blizz24
why only 3 years? did you encounter a problem later?
Traded my car in for a 200t. My new wheels will have the same exact tire setup......when I sell my current ones
Old 12-23-16, 04:08 AM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the guy who sold me the wheels that is some king of car guru (30years in the performance business) told me that it wouldn't matter; no negative effects going 235 all around

How long the guy has been selling wheels has nothing to do with his knowledge on wheel fitment for the 3rd Gen IS 350. Especially when the wheels they are selling are available in limited offsets and widths. They will try to sell you the closest thing that will fit.

Lexus/tire rack is recommending a tire width of 255 in the rear due to the performance and top speed capabilities of the car. If you put a smaller width and try to push the car you might find yourself sideways in a YouTube video hitting a crowd of people.

This might sound harsh, but your lack of knowledge and lack of willingness to listen to members here might have cost you the price of two additional wheels. Hopefully the tire shop will take them back. Just remember a salesman will try to sell you what is in stock or what they can get. Not necessarily what you want.
Old 12-23-16, 04:57 AM
blizz24
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3actual
How long the guy has been selling wheels has nothing to do with his knowledge on wheel fitment for the 3rd Gen IS 350. Especially when the wheels they are selling are available in limited offsets and widths. They will try to sell you the closest thing that will fit.

Lexus/tire rack is recommending a tire width of 255 in the rear due to the performance and top speed capabilities of the car. If you put a smaller width and try to push the car you might find yourself sideways in a YouTube video hitting a crowd of people.

This might sound harsh, but your lack of knowledge and lack of willingness to listen to members here might have cost you the price of two additional wheels. Hopefully the tire shop will take them back. Just remember a salesman will try to sell you what is in stock or what they can get. Not necessarily what you want.
I did not say he had 30 years selling wheels, he has 30 years tracking cars (he is not even a "salesman", his thing is tracking cars not selling wheels). So when I don't have the experience to confirm or deny if smaller wheels will get me on youtube I don't think many people have that kind of experience; people like repeating what others says without any real knowledge or experience. That is why I asked him and by the way they already told me an exchange would be no problem.

From the research I have done, 255 (or any staggered setup) is not about stopping power is about weight distribution... more weight on an axle = bigger tires. And if I remember correctly, going with a too big of a staggered setup ends up having a harder car to drive (more prone to over steer/under steer). So basically the staggered setup just became a popular thing for the looks of it, not necessary because you need it (Source: a lot of web pages). There was even a post here claiming that the car weight distribution was close to 50/50 (Thread --> here) but can't confirm or deny it.

As far as going staggered I'm still considering it, because people with the EXACT setup or even less aggressive setup [more conservative offset w/same wheel width, no drop or mild drop (half downs)] some rub and others don't rub... and the determining variable is wheel manufacturer. One are wider than others, but rolling the dice each time you need a new pair of wheel and hope to not rub when changing tire manufacturer would be annoying. So if I do stick with my square setup I just going to do a bit more research to see if I really need the 255 in the back or if 235 all around wont affect negatively and end on youtube.
Old 12-23-16, 05:22 AM
blizz24
Rookie

Wight distribution is 54:46 for rwd and 55:45 for awd---> here
Old 12-23-16, 08:08 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess from your experiences, even with half down once you go full load (4 people) it will rub
have you ever had a full load? From the above I'm assuming that you would rub if you had
that's a bold assumption. with a full load (5 people with gear in the trunk) i do not rub in the back. i have camber arms installed on the back and properly aligned. with my setup 19x9+35 225/35/19 and 19x10+45 255/30/19, rsr downs, spc rear camber arms, the fronts do not rub on full turn lock, and back does not rub with a load or over bumps, ever

this thread is getting a little out of control. bottom line, here are the facts.
will 19x8.5+32 235/35/19 work on our cars? yes.
can you drive on them without rubbing? yes.
have other members on here done that? yes.
will you lose performance? yes, the fact if you notice or not is different. daily driving on dry streets, you'll probably be fine. if you push the car, or drive aggressively in the rain may be another story.

there are some members here that run fronts 19x10 225/35 and rears 19x11 with 245/35 on bagged rides and they are just fine. they know what they are doing, and they are good with their decisions. for you, the cl members overwhelmingly recommend sticking close or going wider than oem specs. there's probably a reason why lexus designed the car to have these spec wheels/tires.

there's tons of people with experience with wheels and suspension here. if you do not agree, you do not have to follow their advice.

hey, can you send me or upload to my thread pics of the rear tire? I would like to see how much stretch are in a 255 on a 10" wide rim

here you go bud, good luck to ya

Last edited by dnasians; 12-23-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 10:04 AM
Diesel26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnasians
that's a bold assumption. with a full load (5 people with gear in the trunk) i do not rub in the back. i have camber arms installed on the back and properly aligned. with my setup 19x9+35 225/35/19 and 19x10+45 255/30/19, rsr downs, spc rear camber arms, the fronts do not rub on full turn lock, and back does not rub with a load or over bumps, ever

this thread is getting a little out of control. bottom line, here are the facts.
will 19x8.5+32 235/35/19 work on our cars? yes.
can you drive on them without rubbing? yes.
have other members on here done that? yes.
will you lose performance? yes, the fact if you notice or not is different. daily driving on dry streets, you'll probably be fine. if you push the car, or drive aggressively in the rain may be another story.

there are some members here that run fronts 19x10 225/35 and rears 19x11 with 245/35 on bagged rides and they are just fine. they know what they are doing, and they are good with their decisions. for you, the cl members overwhelmingly recommend sticking close or going wider than oem specs. there's probably a reason why lexus designed the car to have these spec wheels/tires.

there's tons of people with experience with wheels and suspension here. if you do not agree, you do not have to follow their advice.

here you go bud, good luck to ya
Nice setup. Looks SICK.
Old 12-23-16, 10:36 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a few more pictures to give you a better idea. 235/35/19, 8.5 et35 squared on hankook v12 ventus, rsr downs

It's really all a trial and error process but a lot of CL members has already went through that hassle so they can give you their own advice so you don't have to go through what they went through.

Like I've said before, my reason may be different than yours and anyone else. I went squared because I drive 70-100miles a day, I want to be able to rotate my tires and just hope my tires last long. It rarely rains here, it's nearly all flat surfaces, and I never ever have driven through snow. My only issue so far being from NorCal and dealing with the bad Socal drivers on the 405 . All and all, I chose 235/35/19 squared was also because from the test that the shop did for me, 245 in the front rubbed.

Dnasian has a point, factory specs are there for a reason. Browse around and take your time, I too knew nothing about tires and wheel sizes just a few months ago, Not anywhere an expert but I know more now than I did three months ago.

Last edited by Phamkq; 12-23-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-02-17, 09:00 PM
blizz24
Rookie

Quick question about speedo error. If you have a +/-% in the front and rear doespecially the final % gets added up?

let's say +1% front, +1% rear, then final speedo is 2%?
Old 01-03-17, 06:40 PM
blizz24
Rookie

....anyone?
Old 01-03-17, 06:50 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 825 Likes on 404 Posts

Quick question about speedo error. If you have a +/-% in the front and rear doespecially the final % gets added up?

let's say +1% front, +1% rear, then final speedo is 2%?
No.
Depends on where the speed sensor is. Which is mostly somewhere on the tranny, so only the rear percentage will matter in the case of a RWD vehicle.
Old 01-04-17, 09:07 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
My summer setup is 245/40-18 Michelin PSS on 18x8.5 +35 all around. Had minimal rubbing on the front inner wheel well which was taken care of with a heat gun and 5 minutes of my time.
This is the exact same tire size and wheel size/width/offset i am running and i have minimal rubbing as well.

I see a lot of discussion about 255R/235F but i personally think 245 all around is more than ok. A lot of you have F sports with 255 tires in the rear so you forget that the Base models with 17" wheels actually use 225/45/17 tires all around! So I'd say a minimum width of 225 would be safe....and 245 or 235 all around would work out fine.

On my 18x8.5 +35 with 245/40/18 tire on RSR Half-Downs, it just barely rubs a small portion of the front fender liner that juts out. It only rubs on high speed dips. I never rub going up driveways or anywhere else. When comparing 245/35/19 tires on the OP's 19x8.5 +32 to my setup, mine is only 0.9mm smaller in diameter with 3mm less poke so they're definitely comparable. Run a 235 tire if you want to be sure not to rub...it would still be an upgrade from the base model with 225 tire. Sure performance would degrade a bit if you were at a 255 rear tire before, but if safety is a concern, then it shouldn't be because then Lexus wouldn't have put 225 tires on the base model.
Old 01-04-17, 01:38 PM
blizz24
Rookie

Originally Posted by CLUM
This is the exact same tire size and wheel size/width/offset i am running and i have minimal rubbing as well. I see a lot of discussion about 255R/235F but i personally think 245 all around is more than ok. A lot of you have F sports with 255 tires in the rear so you forget that the Base models with 17" wheels actually use 225/45/17 tires all around! So I'd say a minimum width of 225 would be safe....and 245 or 235 all around would work out fine.

On my 18x8.5 +35 with 245/40/18 tire on RSR Half-Downs, it just barely rubs a small portion of the front fender liner that juts out. It only rubs on high speed dips. I never rub going up driveways or anywhere else. When comparing 245/35/19 tires on the OP's 19x8.5 +32 to my setup, mine is only 0.9mm smaller in diameter with 3mm less poke so they're definitely comparable. Run a 235 tire if you want to be sure not to rub...it would still be an upgrade from the base model with 225 tire. Sure performance would degrade a bit if you were at a 255 rear tire before, but if safety is a concern, then it shouldn't be because then Lexus wouldn't have put 225 tires on the base model.
I was thinking the same thing...

Originally Posted by Answer
No.
Depends on where the speed sensor is. Which is mostly somewhere on the tranny, so only the rear percentage will matter in the case of a RWD vehicle.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-17, 09:22 AM
DietrichEV
Driver School Candidate

Vossens Black Friday deal may be gone but anyone else who's still looking for a setup I'd love to help you get a good deal!