IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F sport modes and steering sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 11:23 PM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F sport modes and steering sensitivity

hey guys, so last Thursday i bought a new is 350 F Sport. I have been recently playing around with modes (eco, sport, sport plus) the only difference i noticed is transmission and acceleration. On sport plus i don't notice any difference on suspension and steering sensitivity feels just like eco mode...
do you guys feel any difference on steering sensitivity while sport mode? i have heard it should feel stiffer, im planning to take my car to fhe dealer tomorrow.
Old 11-23-16, 01:14 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

front suspension should stiffen, steering tightens up, and accel pedal is more sensitive. all of these should be noticible changes when going into s+ mode.

i bet you're not going into s+. turn the selector to the right for s mode, then turn it one more time to put it into s+
Old 11-23-16, 03:15 AM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

Trust me i am. One time to the right is sport and the again to the right shows sport plus, only difference i feel is transmission and acceleration, Thanks for clarifying i think my car has something wrong
Old 11-23-16, 04:37 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably just more subtle than you are expecting. It's not a night and day difference, but noticeable if you drive in normal mode a lot.
Old 11-23-16, 05:05 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The change over smooth roads is hard to feel sometimes. Change it while on a less than perfect road and you'll surely be able to tell the difference.
Old 11-23-16, 05:39 AM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

I will give updates on what the dealer tells me, im on my way now. @mrg02d i have been driving on normal and eco since i dont want to abuse accelerate fully and beat the car till at least 500 or 1000 miles. It only has 169 miles today so far
Old 11-23-16, 07:36 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is designed to be smooth. You wont notice anything until your redlining and actually cornering the car fast.
Old 11-23-16, 08:40 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Miggy2349
I will give updates on what the dealer tells me, im on my way now. @mrg02d i have been driving on normal and eco since i dont want to abuse accelerate fully and beat the car till at least 500 or 1000 miles. It only has 169 miles today so far
Ahhh, so you are still going easy on it. Wait until you are able to hit some turns at speed, you'll feel a difference then. :-)
Old 11-23-16, 11:13 AM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

soon you will be able to tell the differences
Old 11-23-16, 12:54 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Only RWD models get variable gear ratio steering. In Sport+, the response should be quicker.
Old 11-23-16, 03:15 PM
Miggy2349
Driver School Candidate

I just got my car back, they saw the car and did some test and they said it was fine even by plugging in a tester on the car untill they actually test drove it, they told me a few cars did not came well calibrated steering wheel on the computer on 2016 to that area, is just weird it left me thinking, i just googled lexus steering wheel ecu, does this cars have ecu for steering too? Lol. these cars theses days are almost robots.
My car steering feels more responsive on sport and sport plus under hard acceleration , i haven't feel when it tights up but it does feels a difference from before,
Old 11-23-16, 03:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Miggy2349
I just got my car back, they saw the car and did some test and they said it was fine even by plugging in a tester on the car untill they actually test drove it, they told me a few cars did not came well calibrated steering wheel on the computer on 2016 to that area, is just weird it left me thinking, i just googled lexus steering wheel ecu, does this cars have ecu for steering too? Lol. these cars theses days are almost robots.
My car steering feels more responsive on sport and sport plus under hard acceleration , i haven't feel when it tights up but it does feels a difference from before,
The easiest way to test out the steering ratio change in sport+ is on a long stretch of road or highway. Switch back and forth between sport and sport+ and you should be able to see how much more the car will veer left and right with the same amount of steering input in sport+.
Old 11-23-16, 03:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I definitely feel the steering wheel tighten up in Sport+. The suspension also gets stiffer. Makes getting the F-Sport package completely worth it.
Old 11-23-16, 05:27 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a new '16 GS 350 F Sport. I have the same issue with the sport+ mode. I notice little or no effect on anything?.

I am very familiar with the car as I previously had a '15 GS350 (non f sport) and when I put that car into Sport mode, significant things happened... the steering tightened up, throttle got more aggressive, and the transmission held gears.

I have to point out that my new F Sport is significantly more aggressive in "Normal" mode in all respects than my prior non-F sport.

Is it possible the cars Normal mode was beefed up and the S+ dialed back by Lexus for 2016? I will have to take it up with the dealer. My car so far, 500 miles, has been perfect in every other respect.
Old 11-23-16, 05:36 PM
kyoungjook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the steering ratio only changes if you have the VGRS option - not all F-Sports have it. I think the easiest way to tell is to see if your steering wheel adjust manually, or electronically.

I do not have VGRS, and, thus, don't notice any difference in steering feel between the various modes. Throttle does become more sensitive though, and suspension becomes slightly more stiff - really only noticeable when going over rough patches of pavement, i.e. driving over a section of cobblestone in Eco/Normal/Sport vs. Sport + should be pretty clear.

Installing the RR Racing USRS, however, made a pretty dramatic difference (for the better) in several aspects - steering feel, cornering and braking.

Quick Reply: F sport modes and steering sensitivity