IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 f-sport dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 05:11 PM
Stanleid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 f-sport dead battery

What started out to be a great car is now having dead battery problems purchase the Car new in January 2014 up until December 2015 car started fine after not driving it for up to a week in December 2015 the car's battery started dying I took the vehicle to Lexus and they said it was a bad battery and replaced no charge. In October 2016 the battery started not holding a charge and not starting took the vehicle back into Lexus of Concord they said the battery was fine and that I would need to purchase a trickle charger and charge the battery at night at home if I didn't drive the car everyday from what I've read from other owners this is a serious problem Lexus has, I cannot believe I'm spending $740 a month for a leased vehicle that I have to charge the battery at home if I don't drive it everyday, after the battery dying repeatedly and I even purchased a trickle last week and started charging it at night. Once the vehicle is off the charger and is driven a distance and parked when I return an hour later the vehicle will not start and needs AAA roadside jump repetitively this week . Today November 1st I took the vehicle back in to Lexus of Concord 4 Diagnostics they are now telling me that I will have to pay the diagnostic charge if they cannot find a problem. I will update this post tomorrow. I am very unhappy with this problem that I'm having
The following users liked this post:
Patty1963 (03-27-20)
Old 11-01-16, 05:26 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you have some kind of electrical drain somewhere. I could park my car for almost a month without a trickle charger and it will start right up.

Oh btw, you're in the IS500 section.....
The following users liked this post:
Pattyt2363 (04-01-20)
Old 11-01-16, 06:23 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Take it back, btw this is the is f section..
Old 11-01-16, 06:41 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by S00Pah5L
Oh btw, you're in the IS500 section.....
haha.. like posted above, sounds like you have en electrical issue or your alternator has gone bad very early.

I regularly park my car for two weeks and it always starts.
Old 11-01-16, 07:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Like others have said you posting in the wrong section - You should be posting here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014-200/

Assuming you have a 2014 model.

BTW, welcome to the forum. It's a GREAT place to share and learn about our cars.

Lou

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-01-16 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Moved from the ISF forum. F Sport seems to confuse many who do not know what an F car is.
Old 11-02-16, 05:13 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanleid
What started out to be a great car is now having dead battery problems purchase the Car new in January 2014 up until December 2015 car started fine after not driving it for up to a week in December 2015 the car's battery started dying I took the vehicle to Lexus and they said it was a bad battery and replaced no charge. In October 2016 the battery started not holding a charge and not starting took the vehicle back into Lexus of Concord they said the battery was fine and that I would need to purchase a trickle charger and charge the battery at night at home if I didn't drive the car everyday from what I've read from other owners this is a serious problem Lexus has, I cannot believe I'm spending $740 a month for a leased vehicle that I have to charge the battery at home if I don't drive it everyday, after the battery dying repeatedly and I even purchased a trickle last week and started charging it at night. Once the vehicle is off the charger and is driven a distance and parked when I return an hour later the vehicle will not start and needs AAA roadside jump repetitively this week . Today November 1st I took the vehicle back in to Lexus of Concord 4 Diagnostics they are now telling me that I will have to pay the diagnostic charge if they cannot find a problem. I will update this post tomorrow. I am very unhappy with this problem that I'm having
Welcome @stanleid The Gateway ECU is likely your culprit. The thread below will discuss it in more detail towards the end. My 14 was doing the same thing and after they replaced the Gateway I have not had a single issue. It was all covered under warranty. Good luck, hope it works out for you at the dealership.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 10-10-19, 05:51 PM
SVE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 IS350 F-Sport Dead Battery Experience

Sorry to hear about your battery challenges.

I bought a 2016 Lexus IS350 F-sport for my mother who grew up driving sports cars and exotics, etc. Today, our '16 IS350 only has about 15K miles on it. Drove it today to run errands with my mother, got to our destination in Walnut Creek (WC), and my car wouldn't start. At first, I though it was only the key fob battery; however, I learned that it was a combination of both my key fob battery and car batteries dying out. I switched the key fob battery and the car didn't start. I got a jump and then the car started up right away; however, a check engine light came on as well as a repetitive dash message stating "TRAC OFF." Before having my family's shop(s) in Walnut Creek assess my battery, I figured that I would go ahead and replace it anyways since it's now a 3+ year old battery. My Personal Recommendations:

1) Stop utilizing Lexus of Concord, SERIOUSLY!!!!

a) My Challenge/Experience with Lexus of Concord....

When I first bought my car, I paid Concord Lexus $200 for a 100+ point inspection. I specifically wanted to make sure that my car's frame wan' damaged, etc as it was a lease return. I also paid for them to conduct an alignment for me, al covered by warranty. After going back and forth to the dealership, I happily drove my car away and as I was getting on the freeway t go home (San Ramon, CA), my car was still noticeably pulling. Hence, I tok my car back. Unfortunately, I already paid the Concord Lexus for the service and had challenges getting a refund. The service adviser, ('10+ year tenure,' lol) and I started getting in an expertise to expertise knowledge debate. Just shows you that no matter how long someone's in a particular field, they all need some sort of "Mal Practice" business insurance, lol/joking! The only reason I took it to Concord was because it was closer to our shops in WC; however, I reside in San Ramon and my family is parsed out between WC, Danville, etc. At our shops, we call dealerships "parts chargers" as very few of them either have REAL automotive mechanic/electrical expertise and have the mindset to properly diagnose a car, especially mechanical issues. They'll have to wait until you get a error code before they can analyze anything, lol.

Sadly....Porsche of Walnut Creek's service and technicians are horrific as well! These idiots tried to persuade me to exchanged my entire sports exhaust system just because they didn't know which catalytic converter went bad. A very true yet sad story! It was a case of having to spend $500 vs. $8,000! Thru easy assessment, I found out that the driver's side cats went bad, WC Porsche replaced them for me while under the warranty, a few months later, the other cat failed and my warranty expired. Same thing with the cabin central air system. They replace one side of the vent flaps, a few months later, a I stated, my warranty ended and they wanted to charge me a lot of money t repair what they should have during the initial process. PARTS CHANGERS certified by the Banana Republic Technical Institute, a mechanic's certification program for book readers! I'll NEVER take any of my Porsche cars to WC Porsche, even while under warranty. That's what I originally did and got screwed! I paid $4,500 for an extended warranty for $500 worth of parts while they rest of the issues I ended up having to pay for. Absolutely crooks and morons! Most of their service advisers previously worked at bodyshops and have a lack of professionalism and knowledge. Otherwise, I take my cars to my family's shop(s) and don't worry about such headaches anymore. In fact, if my Porsche or Lexus ween't under warranty, I would never utilize the dealerships.

This is one key reason my family gets most of the exotic car maintenance and after-market business here in the San Francisco East Bay, the dealerships around here are a rip-offs and have no clue about cars, even if they have 10 various certifications. Sadly, dealerships and their advisers will charge you as much money for service and parts you may not need as long as you let them, especially if the customer doesn't have much automotive knowledge.

The advisers that I dealt with at Concord Lexus should go back to being Real Estate Loan Officers or transition to another field. Although I am attempting to be funny by making this statement but at the same time, I really mean it. If Lexus of Concord didn't refund me my money, I would've been forced to sue them in small claims court that would've been more time to waste with that particular dealership. Obviously not all people and/or dealerships alike.

b) Why Lexus of Pleasanton, CA won my Trust and Business.....

Fast forward, I took my car immediately to Hendrick's Lexus of Pleasanton, CA; dealt with a gentleman by the name of Michael Sullivan, and have never been happier. Mike gives you his cell phone and will always answer during work hours, even if he's off. This is his personal practice as he stated he is trying to differentiate himself with other dealerships and advisers. And if you and him don't know the answer to a relevant question, he'll honestly say so and do the research for you.

Based on my car purchase scenario, Mike thought about it for a few minutes and recommended for me to not pay for a full inspection as the car is under warranty. "Instead, just pay for an alignment and if it dials in, your frame is not damaged." At this point, besides the gas I wasted, I ended up saving by having an alignment done rather than a full inspection, especially since my car only has about 9,900 miles on it (its around 15K right now).

During my alignment, Lexus Pleasanton found out that there was a damaged control arm, repaired it under warranty, re-aligned my car, and I haven't have an issue ever since. I had an awesome rental car (for free), saved $$ money!, saved back-and-forth time (headaches) which for me saving "time" is also saving $$ money!, received exceptional service, and I still text Mike whenever I have questions about my car, etc.

c) Solution?
I did some research and figured that if I am going to have to pay for my battery out of my own pocket, that I'll just go ahead and by the best or something close to it. I earned that Odyssey has a slightly better performing battery than Optima but they're both the top two best batteries in the market. I have an Odyssey Extreme battery in my Porsche and so far, love it. I smoothly starts my Porsche on first try and has more overall power than my car's OEM battery has, which helps power my car and my accessories without drainage.

BTW, Mike Sullivan, my service adviser at Pleasanton Lexus, is off today but literally just sent me a text message while I was typing this message and informed me that my battery is still under warranty and that they will replace it for me, so there's no need to order a performance replacement battery. Again, just another example of great service and saving $$$$!

In life... sometimes it about "what's you know" and other times it's about "who you know!" On one hand, I am very fortunate to have extensive knowledge about vehicles myself, and having a great service adviser like Mike when you need him on the other. But coming cross an all-around great service adviser is hard to come by, which is why we meet one, we usually stay with them until they retire or we sell our cars, lol!

I LOVE OUR 2016 IS350 F-Sport!!!!
Atomic Silver, Custom diamond-tufted dark burgundy interior; Carbon-fiber exterior parts, etc. Otherwise, the car has all OEM F-sport options by design and purpose. My mother also has a 2003 IS300 and that car has more jump from start than the 2016 has, lol! And it still runs like a champ with about 110K miles on it!

Best wishes,
Mohsen (MoMo)

SVE - Salehi Vehicle Engineering (product design startup coming soon)
SS Motorsports (Walnut Creek, CA)
North State Auto (Walnut Creek, CA)