IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will the is350 run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 08:35 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Will the is350 run well with a blend of e85?

Based off the below thread in the ISF forum, which seems to be getting quite some hype, what are you guys thoughts on how our model 3is(350) will fare blending e85?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-of-e85.html

Wish I could pull KCLV with the torque app - what's the cheapest way to get this data?

Last edited by LexSense; 10-28-16 at 08:36 PM. Reason: question mark in title
Old 10-28-16, 10:15 PM
kyoungjook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the one guy that did before and after dynos, the gain are very nominal - seems to be more "butt dyno" than anything. Additionally, the imprecise method of measuring the exact E85/gas blend (without a dedicated ethanol meter), and the fact that you need about 20-25% more E85 than gas, all things being equal, seems like a lot of risk to run without bigger injectors and a proper tune for minimal gains. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-16, 03:49 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I've heard the concern people really need to have with E85 is that the rubber fuel lines are NOT compatible with it.
Old 10-30-16, 11:43 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend more than a gallon or two of e85 per tank. yes it will raise the octane, but if you add too much it'll throw off the fuel trims too much and the car won't run as well.
Old 11-02-16, 07:41 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
I've heard the concern people really need to have with E85 is that the rubber fuel lines are NOT compatible with it.
Good info. OP, you need to make sure your fuel system will not corrode, since Ethanol is corrosive, you have to make sure there are no rubber fittings/gaskets in the fuel system. You'll have to replace all rubber hoses and seals with silicone ones.

Originally Posted by coldsoda
I wouldn't recommend more than a gallon or two of e85 per tank. yes it will raise the octane, but if you add too much it'll throw off the fuel trims too much and the car won't run as well.
This is correct. OP you MUST adjust/tune the timing/ECU/fuel system to keep the engine running smoothly. The fuel pumps/injectors in our cars can't supply the amount of e85 required to run smoothly. There's a reason there are FlexFuel labeled cars.
Old 12-06-18, 04:28 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoungjook
Based on the one guy that did before and after dynos, the gain are very nominal - seems to be more "butt dyno" than anything. Additionally, the imprecise method of measuring the exact E85/gas blend (without a dedicated ethanol meter), and the fact that you need about 20-25% more E85 than gas, all things being equal, seems like a lot of risk to run without bigger injectors and a proper tune for minimal gains. Just my 2 cents.
If you're going to blend E85 this is the safest way to do it by going with a company such as Zeitronix or similar companies. Be prepared to pay a couple hundred dollars. But ultimately this is the safest way to go if your going to blend it takes guess work out of it.

Old 12-06-18, 05:09 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No flex fuel sensor, improper lines and gaskets, wrong injectors, wrong timing on the ECU, ethanol attracts water like crazy, etc. but yes please do put e85 in your car and report back in 6 months how it worked out for you. You know that diesel last long and is more stable than gasoline, maybe you should try to blend that too for longevity.

Being a ******** aside. Do not do that, it’s bad for your car.
The following users liked this post:
Atav25 (09-09-20)
Old 12-20-18, 07:56 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
No flex fuel sensor, improper lines and gaskets, wrong injectors, wrong timing on the ECU, ethanol attracts water like crazy, etc. but yes please do put e85 in your car and report back in 6 months how it worked out for you. You know that diesel last long and is more stable than gasoline, maybe you should try to blend that too for longevity.

Being a ******** aside. Do not do that, it’s bad for your car.
Lmao ok, been blending for over 6mo now, the rails and all 16 injectors are stainless steel, the fuel lines are coated steel of high quality and I've never got a bad batch of ethanol.

How long has the ISF thread been active?
Might want to do your diligence before you hypothesize.
Old 12-20-18, 08:51 AM
Tim151
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

With my supercharger my car is tuned to run an e30 mix and the gains are very good over running just 93 some parts of the dyno graph I gain almost 50whp with the mix versus 93.
Old 12-20-18, 08:54 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Unless you can tune for it and have a real time Etanol meter it’s not worth it. Ethanol will raise your octane rating but unless you compensate by tuning for additional timing your not doing much of anything good, you will however start to degrade your fuel pump and fuel line and this can lead to failure over time. Plenty of force induction guys use this and we know for a fact you will mess up non E-85 fuel pump and lines, you will also see no real gains unless the ecu and adjust timing for the additional octane.
i don’t know about our fuel lines but the rubber o-rings and connectors are subject to fail if the underbody lines are steel.

Simple question. Do you think adding in 115 octane race gas will do anything to your stock car? No, it won’t.
Old 12-20-18, 09:26 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

With out additional tuning to your ignition and fuel maps you will not see any gains pass what the max ignition and fuel tables has to offer on your stock ecu.
You will for sure run less knock on the knock sensor which will allow the ecu to push the ignition table until it max out on what it can do and that is as far as you will get.
Old 12-20-18, 09:32 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
With out additional tuning to your ignition and fuel maps you will not see any gains pass what the max ignition and fuel tables has to offer on your stock ecu.
You will for sure run less knock on the knock sensor which will allow the ecu to push the ignition table until it max out on what it can do and that is as far as you will get.
Exactly so if your only running 91 and mix e30, this will bump timing as long as there is no knock . Also you'll slightly lean out and make more power and it's safe to do so because of the higher octane an e30 Kishore will consist of.

This is highly documented in the ISF thread with significant gains and very little issues.
Old 12-20-18, 09:41 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by viprez586
Exactly so if your only running 91 and mix e30, this will bump timing as long as there is no knock . Also you'll slightly lean out and make more power and it's safe to do so because of the higher octane an e30 Kishore will consist of.

This is highly documented in the ISF thread with significant gains and very little issues.
they have good gains because of their bigger motors and fuel/timing tables, you won’t see nearly those gains with the 350.
Old 12-20-18, 11:54 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
Wish I could pull KCLV with the torque app - what's the cheapest way to get this data?
Cheapest way to log KCLV is to use the OBD Fusion app and purchase the Toyota/Lexus PID add-ons. You'll have access to Knock Correction Learn Value (KCLV) and Knock Feedback Value (KFV). I've used this data in the past to determine if my tuned ECU is providing me with its peak ignition timing advance.

The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
LexSense (12-22-18), minator (11-22-20)