IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 AWD Winter tire - going non-staggered?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 08:43 AM
campeau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS350 AWD Winter tire - going non-staggered?

Hi!

I own a 2014 IS350 AWD Executive Package, Canadian vehicle. I bought it used this summer, and I am very happy with it so far. Now that winter is coming and I live in Ontario, I am looking around to get winter tires for my car.

My question is: My car comes with staggered setup - 225/40r18 front and 255/35r18 rear. Is it okay to go with squared setup (either 225/45r17 or 225/40r18), without damaging the AWD system or other components like stability control?

I've really researched a lot. I probably read most of winter tire related threads here in CL - I know the general consensus here is that I can go for it becuase:
1) In the staggered setup, rolling diameters differ by 0.3%. Going from 0.3% to 0% is no big deal.
2) Some IS350s (base model or in Japan) come with 225/45r17 both front and rear.
3) Last year, some dealers in Quebec (and perhaps others too) recommended it, and even sold winter rim/tire packages with aftermarket (RWC) rims with squared setup.
4) It is generally safer to go with smaller tires in winter.

Now, a dealer in Toronto that I talked to does not recommend it. Their reasons:
1) Front brake calipers. I researched and there are rims (17 or 18) that will fit. So this is not a problem.
2) It may damage the car. I asked for the specifics, but they don't seem to want to elaborate - probably because they figured out it's waste of time as I am not likely to simply go and take their offer of a new set of OEM wheels and winter tires for $3700 before tax.

So my question is:
Did any of you get similar kind of response from Lexus dealers recently? I am wondering if Lexus Canada has recently changed their policy to not recommend squared rims anymore, or it's just the dealer that I talked to that is just trying to sell their winter package.

I am contacting another dealer today, but I just thought it would help asking this here in CL too.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-16, 10:16 AM
Millers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First ever post, so bear with me.......

I too own a 2014 IS350 AWD Luxury package. I'm In Alberta.
I went with a non -staggered setup, OEM rims with Michelin PA 4's from my Lexus dealer (Lexus West Edmonton), no problems at all. I feel very confident driving in our Alberta winters.
FWIW, I paid $2300 in the fall of last year for the full package including 3 years free wheel changeovers. Was also offered the F-sport rims for an extra $25 each, YMMV.

Regards.
Old 10-21-16, 11:27 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome fellow Canucks!

I bought my IS350 AWD last November. The Lexus dealership recommended a non staggered setup for winter tires. To be honest that's exactly what I wanted. Wanted to ability to rotate my winter setup. Went with the Blizzak LM-32. 225/40R18. These are installed on the stock Lexus rims that came with my vehicle.

IS350 AWD Winter tire - going non-staggered?-photo655.jpg

Bought the F-Sport rims for the ****ty rubber that came with my car.

IS350 AWD Winter tire - going non-staggered?-photo18.jpg

Once these ****ty tires are done I'll be going with some Pilot Super Sport.

I've had zero issues with my winter setup. Quite frankly on the AWD they are awesome. As you know we experience some pretty crazy winter weather here in the great white north. Hopefully the farmers almanac isn't too accurate this year as we are expecting a crazy cold winter this time around.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-21-16, 01:33 PM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer is trying to rip you off, I'm using 17inch square setup. You can buy rims and tires from Simply Tire in North York for around $1500. I'm kind of upset with myself, I should have just wrapped the factory rims with some winters and bought new rims for the summer.

Want to buy my setup? Only used for 3mths this past winter, I bought them in January,

Last edited by ToDesi; 10-21-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 01:54 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're BSing you. Running a square 225 17" setup is totally fine for the AWD system. Lexus in Kitchener told me they've been running that setup for years on their AWD cars and never had any issues.
Old 10-21-16, 02:11 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

I work for Lexus in Calgary, Alberta Canada. As well I own an 2016 Lexus IS350 F Sport AWD. You can run either a stagger set up of winter 225/40/18 in the front and 255/35/18 OEM set up of the A/S or you can run 225/40/18 all around without damaging anything. We see guest that own an F Sport or Non F Sport where they stretch the 18 F Sport rims or non F Sport. Only thing with that is you can't rotate them all around, just side to side. If you run a 225/45/17 set up which is the BASE BASE Lexus IS. Make sure if you own a F Sport to find a set of 17" rim that will clear the front callipers.

Running stagger set up we sell Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Non stagger Michelin xIce or Bridgestone Blizzak are usually are recommendation.

If you want something cheaper you can run:

Cooper Weatherman
Champiro IcePro
Hankook IPike

Hope this helps!

Howard
Old 10-21-16, 02:57 PM
campeau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your answers. So the other dealer I contacted said it is okay to go non-staggered. I am leaning more towards to going non-staggered after reading your replies and contacting the new dealer.
Old 10-21-16, 06:11 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 818 Likes on 400 Posts

Running 225/45-17 is fine and what I'm running for winter.

On a 250, it's real easy to do. On a 350, since the calipers are bigger, finding wheels that will clear them is harder, but still doable.

I'm running RWC wheels (17x7 +35) and they clear the calipers.
Old 10-23-16, 06:17 AM
TwistedE
Driver School Candidate

Some very good info here. Just another question for my '14 IS250 AWD. Can I run a square setup of 225/40/18 for my regular all season tires? It's cheaper to buy a set of 4 identical tires for me and I like the fact that I can rotate them. Or is this a bad idea for the summer tires? Will there be a noticeable handling difference?

Having said that, I am picking up a set of staggered F sport rims and Michelin Alpin PA4 for my winter setup through kijiji. The only downside is that they are staggered but the price is very attractive.
Old 10-23-16, 01:23 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by TwistedE
Some very good info here. Just another question for my '14 IS250 AWD. Can I run a square setup of 225/40/18 for my regular all season tires? It's cheaper to buy a set of 4 identical tires for me and I like the fact that I can rotate them. Or is this a bad idea for the summer tires? Will there be a noticeable handling difference?
on a AWD 250, I'd say why not! You don't have tons of power and are AWD so it should not be that bad. Even with my 225 winter setup on my AWD 350, it's not that bad.
Old 10-25-16, 07:21 AM
dilanp13
Driver School Candidate

hi guys,

I'm a bit new to this and still confused as to what winter tires to get for my 2016 IS300 AWD.

From the looks of it someone had mentioned 225/40/18 but you can't rotate all around only side to side. What does that mean?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 10-25-16, 07:36 AM
Answer
Instructor

With a square setup (non staggered), you can rotate your tires as you wish. It all depends on the tires, some have lefts and rights so you can only rotate them front to back. But those same tires could simply not be rotated on a staggered setup.
Old 10-25-16, 09:22 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

If the tires are directional then you can only rotate them front to back!
Old 10-26-16, 10:43 AM
dilanp13
Driver School Candidate

Okay that makes sense, thanks a lot for the help on this!

I went to dealership today and they advised that if we use a steel rim with the winter tires instead of the stock alloys (fsport wheels) it will effect the tire monitoring system. They said it would cost extra money for lexus to reprogram...I don't know if this is true or not?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-16, 01:24 PM
Answer
Instructor

Whatever other wheels you use, if they don't have the originals TPMS sensors, you will have to reprogram. So either you live with the TPMS light during winter, or you get another set of sensors.

Quick Reply: IS350 AWD Winter tire - going non-staggered?