Ultra White with swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 12:24 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ultra White with swirls?

Hey guys,

I've parked under a night lamp at work, and I thought notice a few swirl like scratches on the trunk. When I got home, I grabbed a flash light and start looking around the car (not sure if this is the correct method to identify swirls). But, couldn't find much..maybe my car was dusty??

Have anyone notice any swirls on their Ultra White paint job?

I'm thinking of claying the car, and spray waxing it this weekend. Think that would help/prevent further swirls?
Old 10-21-16, 03:51 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you referring to the micro scratches that appear in paint from washing? If so, high speed polishing would be the way to go. Best left to a pro as it is very easy to burn the paint right off.
Old 10-21-16, 09:23 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swirls are more noticeable on dark color cars, but on white its harder to see them.

But i also have an UW 3IS and i get swirl marks from time to time, best way to get them out is to use a polish compound and a nice wax job!! i use the Mothers rubbing compound, finishing polish and then finish with a good 2 layers of wax!! The rubbing compound will the get swirls out!!

Good luck!
Old 10-21-16, 01:20 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
Are you referring to the micro scratches that appear in paint from washing? If so, high speed polishing would be the way to go. Best left to a pro as it is very easy to burn the paint right off.

Yeah that what I was referring to.

Anyone know an effective way to find them on a white car? I tried the flashlight at night, but it didn't really help. Unless, there were none to begin with...
Old 10-21-16, 01:21 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EJ255t
Swirls are more noticeable on dark color cars, but on white its harder to see them.

But i also have an UW 3IS and i get swirl marks from time to time, best way to get them out is to use a polish compound and a nice wax job!! i use the Mothers rubbing compound, finishing polish and then finish with a good 2 layers of wax!! The rubbing compound will the get swirls out!!

Good luck!
I have no experience in polishing.. But, do you mind sharing what type of wax do you use?
Old 10-21-16, 01:23 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Well the beauty of a white paint is that is does a great job at hiding these swirl marks..

Your best bet is like I said before, have the paint professionally high speed polished to remove them, then have the paint sealed and waxed.. Should last a long time.
Old 10-21-16, 01:28 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
Well the beauty of a white paint is that is does a great job at hiding these swirl marks..

Your best bet is like I said before, have the paint professionally high speed polished to remove them, then have the paint sealed and waxed.. Should last a long time.
Yeah, I know lighter colors hide them better. The reason I am asking is because I parked next to my boss' black Mercedes SL63 AMG, and his car is F'ed up with swirls.

But i'll try the clay and wax before I seek the pros.
Old 10-21-16, 02:18 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Yeah, I know lighter colors hide them better. The reason I am asking is because I parked next to my boss' black Mercedes SL63 AMG, and his car is F'ed up with swirls.

But i'll try the clay and wax before I seek the pros.

Check out the detailing sub section lots of info there. If you don't plan on doing it often, it's easier to pay someone to do it
Old 10-21-16, 02:40 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Claying will not get rid of the swirls. It pulls up surface conataminants from your paint/clear coat and that's it. "Waxes" won't help either unless the so called wax you are using is a glaze, which artificially fills the swirls making them less noticeable.

What you really need is a polish/light compound to remove the swirls. Application can be by hand with an appropriate pad applicator or by machine. Honestly, it is very difficult to completely prevent micromarring on your clear coat when washing. However, there are steps and processes that can drastically reduce the chances. Look up the two bucket wash method. The materials that you use to wash and dry your paint also play a big part in maintaining a swirl free car. Like tea stated, check out the detailing section of this forum. It has a wealth of knowledge.
Old 10-21-16, 03:31 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I do the two bucket method with two grit guards and a MF mitt. And I let it air dry (I know its not the cleanest way).

Maybe its that one time, I let the dealer wash it..

But to be honest, I can't even tell if it is swirls or not because the car is white. =\
Old 10-22-16, 01:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Also, waxes are really outdated in terms of protection. A paint coating lasts 2-3 years and provides much better protection than waxes. Of course it comes with a price (unless you do it yourself)
Old 10-23-16, 10:50 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Also, waxes are really outdated in terms of protection. A paint coating lasts 2-3 years and provides much better protection than waxes. Of course it comes with a price (unless you do it yourself)
What do you mean by paint coating? like a sealant of some sort?

Do you have any recommendations for DIY?
Old 10-23-16, 01:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
What do you mean by paint coating? like a sealant of some sort?

Do you have any recommendations for DIY?
I use CQuartz UK (CQUK) on my cars. Lots of info on paint coatings in our detailing forum.
Old 10-23-16, 04:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I use CQuartz UK (CQUK) on my cars. Lots of info on paint coatings in our detailing forum.
I put opti gloss coat and it still looks amazing and gives great protection.
Old 10-23-16, 04:13 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I put opti gloss coat and it still looks amazing and gives great protection.
I searched it on Amazon, and its $65 for a tube.

Hows the application process like? Very much like waxing?

Definitely, wash and clay before doing so.

Quick Reply: Ultra White with swirls?