IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Engine Noise Under Load

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 08:53 AM
raott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise Under Load

I'm hearing a noise that I do not think is normal (at least I don't recall hearing it before). It happens under load at high RPMs and the best way I can describe it is a sound like a vibration sound a blown tweeter speaker would make. It is addition to, and rises and falls with, the deeper "regular" engine sound, It only lasts for a very brief period when the RPMs are at their peak. It definitely sounds like it is coming from under the hood.

I do not hear it under regular traveling or acceleration. I only hear it under hard acceleration.

Any thoughts on it.

Thank you.

Last edited by raott; 10-20-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 01:09 PM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I think if you record a video of the sound would help people figure this one out.
Old 10-22-16, 11:03 AM
thopho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raott
I'm hearing a noise that I do not think is normal (at least I don't recall hearing it before). It happens under load at high RPMs and the best way I can describe it is a sound like a vibration sound a blown tweeter speaker would make. It is addition to, and rises and falls with, the deeper "regular" engine sound, It only lasts for a very brief period when the RPMs are at their peak. It definitely sounds like it is coming from under the hood.

I do not hear it under regular traveling or acceleration. I only hear it under hard acceleration.

Any thoughts on it.

Thank you.
Did this happen while your engine was still cold?
Old 10-22-16, 09:04 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is still under warranty take it to the dealership.
Old 10-23-16, 05:21 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I'm not insane I've heard it to and it usually does happen at higher RPMs. I feel like it comes and goes with my car. I had thought it was from my stereo but after the trip to the dealer I realized they were no help.
Old 10-25-16, 11:30 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Which IS are you referring to? The IS 200T, IS 250, or the IS 350? The IS 200T makes a loud jet noise at high RPM (3000+). That's the sound of the turbo.
Old 10-25-16, 11:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

yeah if it's 200t it's normal right before a shift at heavy or partial throttle. it's the turbo relieving itself of pressure dumping back into the intake. normal turbo stuff

the engine isnt as noise free as i expected a lexus to be. that sound is normal i get it but the car also since new rattles from a stop. i'm told by the dealer and as i may suspect that it's the waste gate. don't know. . do other 200t owners get that?
Old 11-03-16, 11:32 AM
raott
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input all. Not a turbo (2016 IS 300 f sport) and does not specifically happen when cold. I can reproduce it whenever I want, just put the car under a quick hard load and it will do it when the RPMs get high -smooth idle to high RPMs doesn't seem to do it. Tried to get an audio sample but the phone wasn't picking it up.

Taking it in the morning for service and will see if it is a problem. I'll post back.

Last edited by raott; 11-03-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 06:29 AM
raott
Driver School Candidate

Finished with my appointment. Couldn't recreate the noise on my way to the dealership. They took it for a drive and couldn't recreate it. Got my oil changed, paid and left, and immediately was able to recreate the noise, so I headed back and the shop foreman took a ride with me.

I was able to recreate the noise while he rode, but he and I both agreed, after careful listening, it is not coming from the engine. It is a vibration, in tune with the engine, but sounds like it is coming from the console area and because it only lasts for a split second, it is almost impossible to pinpoint. We first thought it was coming more from the center console area but upon further listening it seemed to be coming more to the left. I've describe it as the sound a blown tweeter would make or even vibrating coins.

I did get an audio recording of it that I'll post over the weekend when I get home.

For now, I'll probably just monitor, it is not really much of a nuisance even, I was mostly concerned if it was the engine.
Old 12-03-16, 01:14 AM
RiojaRed
Driver School Candidate

Hi Raott,

I think I'm experiencing the exact same noise that you've noticed in your IS 300:
It is a vibration, in tune with the engine, but sounds like it is coming from the console area
Were you able pinpoint and correct the problem? If so, I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Thank you!
Old 12-13-16, 04:28 PM
hovik92
Driver

Do you have an intake?
Old 12-13-16, 04:38 PM
RiojaRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hovik92
Do you have an intake?
Hi there, no, my car is bone stock except for a factory spoiler.
Old 12-13-16, 04:48 PM
hovik92
Driver

Originally Posted by RiojaRed
Hi there, no, my car is bone stock except for a factory spoiler.
I had the same issue but mine was just one of the loose bolts on my greddy intake. Good luck sir!
Old 12-14-16, 06:18 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Im experiencing what I guess, is the exact same thing. It started after I replaced the air filter with the F Sport filter.
Old 12-17-16, 11:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Today, this large capacity Lexus 3.5L V6 engine is using thin oil @ 0W 20 to reduce the fuel consumption, however this thin oil causes more NVH issues.
Try a thicker grade oil, but still within the acceptable limits detailed in your Lexus Owner's Manual.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise Under Load