IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

TPMS Canister on 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 10:37 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default TPMS Canister on 3IS

Has anyone actually tried this on a 3IS? I know a lot of people had success on the 2IS, but when I made one over the weekend and had all the sensors in there, the pressure indicator reads "--" and my tire pressure light is on... Double checked the canister and it's holding pressure steadily at 36psi. Tried resetting the tire pressure light and no luck. But when I have the sensors in a bag sitting in the trunk, the car read 0 PSI (tire pressure light came on still of cause). So i know the sensors work.

I'm using the EZ sensors 33500 and cloned the codes on the 4 stock wheels.
Old 10-17-16, 01:32 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

are the tpms mated to the car?
Old 10-17-16, 01:33 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dnasians
are the tpms mated to the car?
I had the ID's off the stock wheels cloned to these new tpms, so they should just work... but they don't.
Old 10-17-16, 05:52 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

You're saying that you are able to get pressure readings from the 33500?

Last winter, I wasn't getting any, but the light was off (the system was working, but simply didn't show the readings)
Old 10-17-16, 06:18 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Answer
You're saying that you are able to get pressure readings from the 33500?

Last winter, I wasn't getting any, but the light was off (the system was working, but simply didn't show the readings)
When I first got the sensors and had the tire place clone the IDs from the 4 stock ones, I drove home with the 4 stock ones on the stock rims, and I had the cloned ones sitting in the trunk just in a bag... the dash reading was bouncing back and forth between 36psi (from the stock wheels) and 0psi (i'm guessing from the cloned 33500 sensors?) But as soon as I took the stock wheels off and mounted the winter setup, the car reads "---" and tire pressure warning light came on. Even after putting the cloned sensors in a pressure capsule and pressure up to 36psi, the car would still read "---" and pressure warning light stays on.
Old 10-17-16, 06:46 PM
Answer
Instructor

Ok, you have the same behavior as mine. If you have the OEM sensors in the right place, you will get the readings from the 33500. But if the OEMs aren't near, you won't get the readings. Just putting the stock tires aside of the car was getting me the readings...

Although I didn't had the readings, in my case, the system was still working because I tried lowering the pressure in one tire and the dash light lit up.

These are pretty weird...
​​​​​​
Old 10-17-16, 06:56 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Answer
Ok, you have the same behavior as mine. If you have the OEM sensors in the right place, you will get the readings from the 33500. But if the OEMs aren't near, you won't get the readings. Just putting the stock tires aside of the car was getting me the readings...

Although I didn't had the readings, in my case, the system was still working because I tried lowering the pressure in one tire and the dash light lit up.

These are pretty weird...
​​​​​​
hmm.... i wonder why mine won't work than... even if sensors are in capsule pressured to 36psi, dash lights stays lit.. tried resetting light, have driven around for 2 days now and nothing has changed. Taking car and sensors back to tire shop soon to see if they know what's the deal.
Old 10-17-16, 07:20 PM
Answer
Instructor

Keep me updated if you have any answers! I won't be putting my winter tires on for at least another month or so.
Old 10-19-16, 04:53 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had this for well over two years and my tpms light is always off. However, the psi reading does not show up on my dash due to the cansiter is not near car. I have it stored in garage some what near car but not right next to car.
Old 10-19-16, 09:28 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jkhang714
I've had this for well over two years and my tpms light is always off. However, the psi reading does not show up on my dash due to the cansiter is not near car. I have it stored in garage some what near car but not right next to car.
so you don't keep the canister in the car (no tpms in car) and no tpms light??
Old 10-19-16, 10:10 PM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by otakusan
so you don't keep the canister in the car (no tpms in car) and no tpms light??
No i dont keep it in the car as it gets too hot in the car. No lights at all.
Old 10-20-16, 07:29 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

I don't understand how you can drive around with no tpms and not have a warning light
Old 10-21-16, 05:15 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by otakusan
I don't understand how you can drive around with no tpms and not have a warning light
You can drive with no sensors and light wont come on for like roughly 50 miles.
Why he probably doesn't get the light is every morning before he leaves, the car is reading the sensors of the wheels sitting in the garage next to the car and then after about 50 miles or so it would trigger. if his daily trips are sorter then they will never come on because of the cycle of seeing the sensors when its back in the garage next to the wheels with the TMPS in them.
Old 10-21-16, 11:53 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by specONE
You can drive with no sensors and light wont come on for like roughly 50 miles.
Why he probably doesn't get the light is every morning before he leaves, the car is reading the sensors of the wheels sitting in the garage next to the car and then after about 50 miles or so it would trigger. if his daily trips are sorter then they will never come on because of the cycle of seeing the sensors when its back in the garage next to the wheels with the TMPS in them.
Thanks specONE for the info. My other wheels are stored at a family member's house, so I won't be able to do that..
Old 10-22-16, 08:15 AM
jkhang714
Lead Lap

SpecOne is correct. I dont commute more than 50miles so everytime im back in the garage, the car recognizes the tmps in the canister and resets itself every time.

Quick Reply: TPMS Canister on 3IS