IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Who will be the first to retrofit the 2017 IS screen in the 2014-16 IS models

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 06:45 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
I foresee the radio will have to be swapped as well, and then it goes on and on, dash center console, joystick, maybe even amplifier. It will be an expensive project. Will be more worth while after the car gets a little older and some of these get into accidents and totaled and then you get get parts from it used.
I'm not so sure..

I've had the screen out on my 2015 and there are only a handful of wires and 2 plugs on the back of it, one for the CANBus and another for Power and Video input from the backup camera and AUX..

It appears that the screen is a slave of the whole operation, and that the HVAC and radio do not depend on it for operation. The communication between the radio, HVAC, and the screen is all data sent via the CANBus, and all the screen really does is capture what buttons you press and quickly display it on the screen, plus album and radio info. The only real question is the would the mouse pad/joystick matter.. I have the round joystick in mine, some people have that mouse thing, and then some have a touch pad so how that info is transmitted to it and interpreted by it is the question. The whole system runs on Linux too which is opensource (the source code can be downloaded from Pioneer BTW) so modifications/hacking might be necessary.

Either way, it'd be an expensive venture and would take some time.. I'm sure there would be some luck involved plus a bit of know how.. Not for the average person
Old 10-15-16, 07:44 AM
sirwawa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

besides the screen what about the upgraded mouse system
there's additional thumb button now right?
mine as well swap that too
Old 10-15-16, 07:48 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
I'm not so sure..

I've had the screen out on my 2015 and there are only a handful of wires and 2 plugs on the back of it, one for the CANBus and another for Power and Video input from the backup camera and AUX..

It appears that the screen is a slave of the whole operation, and that the HVAC and radio do not depend on it for operation. The communication between the radio, HVAC, and the screen is all data sent via the CANBus, and all the screen really does is capture what buttons you press and quickly display it on the screen, plus album and radio info. The only real question is the would the mouse pad/joystick matter.. I have the round joystick in mine, some people have that mouse thing, and then some have a touch pad so how that info is transmitted to it and interpreted by it is the question. The whole system runs on Linux too which is opensource (the source code can be downloaded from Pioneer BTW) so modifications/hacking might be necessary.

Either way, it'd be an expensive venture and would take some time.. I'm sure there would be some luck involved plus a bit of know how.. Not for the average person
the entire stereo system components runs on MOST network, if you leave one piece out of the puzzle, the network ring is broken. You would have to fix the MOST loop. Each peice is equally important.

The GUI and full system is on the radio, it is the main node, trust me. The display is pretty dumb. Reason why you you see Canbus going everywhere is because that's common with all cars that's how the HVAC adjustment overlays are displaying when you make slight changes.

The video signal actually passes through GVIF / LVDS cable.(blue plug) This has been how toyota/lexus has done it since 2006 prius and ISx50 car models. Unplug this on your display and you will see image disappears.

The problem like someone mentioned earlier is that the resolution is different for the wider screen and the older stereo display will not know what to do. What will probably happen is the image will display but it will likely be squeezed or stretched and not look optimal. It's like forcing your computer display to a resolution it doesn't really support.

Trust me, I've wired many bench setups of stock lexus stereos as well as other brand vehicles for development at my job

2010 RX450h radio/navigation setup wired for the bench I did recently

Last edited by specONE; 10-15-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-17-16, 02:29 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I wonder if the wide screen in the 17 model IS is an afterthought. Cause sitting from the drivers seat in my 2016 IS, I can't see the left edge of the screen (if it was a full screen). The dash blocks it.
Old 10-17-16, 04:14 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I wonder if the wide screen in the 17 model IS is an afterthought. Cause sitting from the drivers seat in my 2016 IS, I can't see the left edge of the screen (if it was a full screen). The dash blocks it.
In '17 model push start/stop button area is reshaped so it will not block. I don't think Lexus would miss something like this.
Old 10-17-16, 05:10 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
In '17 model push start/stop button area is reshaped so it will not block. I don't think Lexus would miss something like this.
Yep...they redesigned it slightly, by reducing/removing the "nuluxe" on the side as well.
Old 10-19-16, 12:55 AM
Is300f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want that nuluxe/red stitch center arm rest 😍
Old 10-19-16, 10:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Very interesting they redesigned that piece. Looks like they use less material on top too.. save money! haha
Old 10-19-16, 02:55 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

As several others have mentioned, I think the resolution difference is a killer unless for some reason the older models have more than one video driver display capability and I can't imagine why they would. I think the best you'd get is the same data at the same resolution just stretched and it would be largely unusable. I think the display and the software would minimally have to be updated together. Never mind the physical change in the dash.

Fun idea but probably in the category of more expensive than it's worth for 3" more screen.
Old 10-19-16, 03:46 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah its nice but not that nice. I dont even use that screen anyway but to change radio stations. and i prefer the navigation on my phone than a car. its quicker. tap tap done. no need to screw around with a wheel.