IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What to look for when buying a used is350 f sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 03:50 AM
Jackal84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a used is350 f sport?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I am seriously considering purchasing a AWD 2014 IS350 F sport after taking one for a spin at my local lexus dealer. I drove a few of its competitors and the looks and feel of the lexus the best. I was actually surprised at how aggressive the F sport looked in person vs in the pictures. The white with red interior is a sexy combo. The ones that are L certified come with the nice warranty but they are priced significantly higher than ones not at a Lexus dealer. I have found a few much better deals at other used car dealers, but have a few questions:

Are there any known issues/bugs I should be on the lookout for?
Any weird quirks or annoying weird things with the car to know about?
Are there any additional features/options I should look for on the car?
How well does Lexus hold its value vs its competitors?
How significant is the maintenance cost? Part of the reason I was leaning towards lexus would be I figured the maintenance would be much more reasonable vs Audi/BMW. I currently have an 08 corvette and despite common belief, the maintenance is quite reasonable

Thanks for any and all help, I'm like 70% sure I want to get one, just gotta make it to 100% now.
Old 10-11-16, 04:57 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amongst some other small odds and ends that were not offered on the 14's, the biggest issue has been the battery drain. This happened to mine and luckily I bought CPO and the gateway ECU was replaced under warranty. So far that has fixed my issue. You can check the vehicle history and see if it has a few battery replacements. If it does than chances are the car you are looking at may have had this issue. Here is a link if you are interested in learning more about it. The discussions about the fixes are towards the end of the thread. Good luck in your purchase.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 10-11-16, 06:13 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

check the vehicle service history at lexus.com using the VIN to see if proper maintenance has been performed and to see if anything unusual pops out.
Old 10-12-16, 04:41 AM
Jackal84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
check the vehicle service history at lexus.com using the VIN to see if proper maintenance has been performed and to see if anything unusual pops out.
Thanks for the tip, didn't know how easy it was to do that.

The one I'm most interested in didn't have anything goofy come up except for that they replaced the rear rotors/pads were replaced at 21k miles due to being rusty. So it looks like its clear of that weird battery thing

Anything else to be on the lookout for?

what do you think on price on a 14 F Sport IS350 with navigation, white with red interior, listed at $32k. Thinking I should be able to get that down to $30k, will be paying straight up for it. Theres an L Cerftied one, same car same features alot closer to home for me, but listed at $37.9k and 15k miles. Feel like thats way overpriced
Old 10-12-16, 06:16 AM
39RN
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackal84

The one I'm most interested in didn't have anything goofy come up except for that they replaced the rear rotors/pads were replaced at 21k miles due to being rusty. So it looks like its clear of that weird battery thing

what do you think on price on a 14 F Sport IS350 with navigation, white with red interior, listed at $32k. Thinking I should be able to get that down to $30k, will be paying straight up for it. Theres an L Cerftied one, same car same features alot closer to home for me, but listed at $37.9k and 15k miles. Feel like thats way overpriced
For reference, I paid $35K for CPO 2014 IS350 FSport AWD with 20K miles exactly one year ago. However. I had to fly out to NY to pick it up and drive it home.
Old 10-12-16, 07:14 AM
hawkeye98
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, I picked up a 2014 IS350 FSport, AWD, black with red interior, BSM, 29k miles, single owner, clean history for $32k last week in Chicago. May seem high but I know they paid $29k for it at auction (friend of mine works for the auction house and provided me w/ the report), and put an add'l $1,500 into it for transportation from the auction facility and four new tires. So they were in it for $30,500 before any add'l listing fees and dealer prep costs. $32k for a clean example, single owner, lower miles w/ no stories seems to be the going rate for these in the midwest.
Old 10-12-16, 07:47 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

just hope the previous owner didn't do this on the regular.

clean carfax, cpo, warranty, low miles doesn't really mean much these days. It is a 350, owners buy it for performance. Or else they would opt for the cheaper 250

unless you know the owner, then it gives you a peace of mind if you know their driving habits.

Last edited by ssmoked; 10-12-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-13-16, 06:04 PM
Nando1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just listed my 2015 350fsport white/red on CL for $35k. 19,000miles. Have been receiving emails like crazy but doesn't mean a thing until it sells. got my fingers crossed
Old 10-14-16, 03:13 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That battery issue might not show up if they weren't able to get their dealer to fix it. I'm too far away for a dealer to bother with me, so I have to live with it. I got my is350 with 11k on it and no mention of battery problems.

I got my 2014 is350 f sport almost two years ago for $40k. Cpo too.
Old 10-14-16, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I picked up an off lease 2014 IS350 AWD F Sport series one a few months back with under 60k kms. (~37k miles on it). It was still on the original brakes and tires (had winters), both which I have to address soon, especially the tires before winter hits. They had enough to pass safety though, but if you are buying preowned, definitely keep this expense in mind.
Old 10-17-16, 12:35 PM
Jackal84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hawkeye98
FWIW, I picked up a 2014 IS350 FSport, AWD, black with red interior, BSM, 29k miles, single owner, clean history for $32k last week in Chicago. May seem high but I know they paid $29k for it at auction (friend of mine works for the auction house and provided me w/ the report), and put an add'l $1,500 into it for transportation from the auction facility and four new tires. So they were in it for $30,500 before any add'l listing fees and dealer prep costs. $32k for a clean example, single owner, lower miles w/ no stories seems to be the going rate for these in the midwest.
your price doesn't seem bad at all. Im having an impossible time getting a good price in the tri state area. I live in NJ. The one I originally found listed at $32k was pretty much a fake listing from a bait and switch dealer. I just spent time at a nissan dealership that had been sitting on a '14 AWD FSport IS350 with 25k miles and they wouldn't budge off of 34,500 on the car. Car was probably an 8/10. I offered them 36,500 out the door (which came out to to 33,500 on the car) via certified check and they wouldn't even consider it. Car had been listed on cargurus for like 3 months now. Theres a black/black L certified one with 30k listed at 34k though, I really wanted black/red or white/red. This has become a huge pain in the *** finding a good price around here
Old 10-17-16, 12:40 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

your price doesn't seem bad at all. Im having an impossible time getting a good price in the tri state area. I live in NJ. The one I originally found listed at $32k was pretty much a fake listing from a bait and switch dealer. I just spent time at a nissan dealership that had been sitting on a '14 AWD FSport IS350 with 25k miles and they wouldn't budge off of 34,500 on the car. Car was probably an 8/10. I offered them 36,500 out the door (which came out to to 33,500 on the car) via certified check and they wouldn't even consider it. Car had been listed on cargurus for like 3 months now. Theres a black/black L certified one with 30k listed at 34k though, I really wanted black/red or white/red. This has become a huge pain in the *** finding a good price around here
Supply and demand. Keep in mind, these aren't Camrys. It's really a good thing that price is staying up there. If these dealer isn't needing the sale, then they must feel it's worth a lot still.
Old 10-17-16, 01:00 PM
Jackal84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Supply and demand. Keep in mind, these aren't Camrys. It's really a good thing that price is staying up there. If these dealer isn't needing the sale, then they must feel it's worth a lot still.
Yeah, I understand the supply/demand. My last car was a corvette, and it took me 2 months to find the right car/price. Just gets frustrating calling and driving all around.
Old 10-17-16, 01:10 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Yeah, I understand the supply/demand. My last car was a corvette, and it took me 2 months to find the right car/price. Just gets frustrating calling and driving all around.
On the bright side, its a great car and well worth the trouble. I gave up on looking for a great deal and instead looked for great condition. Had to do a 600m round trip to get it though.
Old 10-18-16, 08:39 AM
ctr904
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a 2014 IS350 with 30k miles for $24k which included my 2008 G37s trade with 55k miles. Only thing coming up for my VIN and services is the regular maintenance done at a dealer in Miami (I live in Jacksonville). Very satisfied with my decision so far.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used is350 f sport?