IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Tires - Stick with AS/3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 06:51 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Tires - Stick with AS/3?

So I see that my Michelin AS/3 tires are getting close after only 24k miles. They have a 45k warranty for the fronts (rears only half that since they can't be rotated)

Should I stick with AS/3? Is there a better tire out there?

Anyone have any luck with Michelin warranty?
Old 10-10-16, 07:05 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
So I see that my Michelin AS/3 tires are getting close after only 24k miles. They have a 45k warranty for the fronts (rears only half that since they can't be rotated)

you will only get half mileage warranty for front and rear. How can you rotate the front, if you can't rotate the rear to the front and vice versa?
The tire shop usually calculates mileage driven and gives percentage for warranty after calling Michelin. Michelin gives you credit to purchase another Michelin set
Old 10-10-16, 07:37 PM
treymoczy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the poster above me stated, you only get half the warranty. Rotating is from front to rear, which you can't do with the stock wheel setup. Some people choose to do side-to-side rotations; opinions differ on the effectiveness of this strategy, but regardless it won't change the fact you only get half the treadlife warranty for a staggered setup.

Personally, after quite a bit of research I am going with the AS/3+. It's the newer version of the AS/3. I was close to getting the super sports, but was turned off by the lower treadlife warranty as well as the higher cost. While I don't often drive in snow/ice living in Texas, it's nice to know that my vehicle will be able to handle those conditions well if I ever need to make a trip up north, etc.
Old 10-11-16, 12:16 PM
hawkeye98
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS? I've run the DWS on a G37xS and C300 4Matic and have been really impressed with their all around capabilities (even through significant snowfalls in IN and IL). I plan to fit my IS with these once the dealer-installed tires are dead.
I've run their DW version on an S2000, e46 M3, and e92 M3 and have been equally impressed. Great UHP A/S tire.
Old 10-11-16, 01:59 PM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkeye98
Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS? I've run the DWS on a G37xS and C300 4Matic and have been really impressed with their all around capabilities (even through significant snowfalls in IN and IL). I plan to fit my IS with these once the dealer-installed tires are dead.
I've run their DW version on an S2000, e46 M3, and e92 M3 and have been equally impressed. Great UHP A/S tire.
I've been looking into these tires as well, how was the tread life on them?
Old 10-11-16, 08:51 PM
hawkeye98
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Tread life on the DWS is pretty good given I always ran a staggered setup.....approx 32-35k miles with conservative driving.
Old 10-12-16, 09:51 AM
patnatty
Driver School Candidate

I can't vouch for the DWS tread wear since I just replaced my stock tires with them. I will say that the car drives so smooth and it sticks to the road much better than the stock tires did.
Old 10-13-16, 12:41 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Guys, thanks for the tips. I'll keep the DWS in mind.
Old 10-13-16, 01:07 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe I got a bad set, but I put Conti DWS on my car August 2015 when I got my rims. I almost instantly hated them based on ride quality. Maybe the roads here caused the noise and vibration, I don't know. But I got Micheline Pilot SS as my summer tire this past summer and I'll be putting AS3 + on my OEM rims in the next few weeks for winter driving.

I seem to be in the minority regarding the Conti's, though.
Old 03-12-20, 05:08 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

I had this happen a few weeks back as well. I had a puncture on one of my tires. I went back to Costco. Since, I hadn't hit the mandatory rotation mileage (I was under by a couple hundred miles), I was expecting to pay a portion of the tire cost but the tire was replaced for free and they plugged a tire that had a nail in it for free too. Tires were purchased in May of 2019.
Old 03-12-20, 06:14 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Maybe I got a bad set, but I put Conti DWS on my car August 2015 when I got my rims. I almost instantly hated them based on ride quality. Maybe the roads here caused the noise and vibration, I don't know. But I got Micheline Pilot SS as my summer tire this past summer and I'll be putting AS3 + on my OEM rims in the next few weeks for winter driving.

I seem to be in the minority regarding the Conti's, though.
Don’t know about on an IS, but I put those Conti’s on my summer car (Jag X-150), and hated them from day one. Sidewall is way too soft. Can’t wait for them to wear out.
Old 03-12-20, 06:19 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

My car came with the A/S 3+ on it. Looking at the CarFax before purchase I saw that the previous owner had the front tires replaced a couple of times under the Michelin warranty, but not sure how much out of pocket he had to pay. I’ve put in the Figs LCA bushings so hopefully mine last longer than his.
Old 03-13-20, 05:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I'll echo the softness of the DWS06. Compared to the BFGoodrichs I had on my IS, the DWS06 were very soft.

I had an overall good experience with the G-Force Comp-2 A/S from BFGoodrich, if you wanted another alternative. Had those tires for 15,000 miles or so, and still had about 5/32" of tread on one of the front tires, with about 7/32" in the back. So, I'm not sure they would last any longer than the Michelins, but they were about $100 cheaper for the set of four, if memory serves.
Old 03-13-20, 10:05 AM
po1qw
Pole Position

I stand by Michelin AS/3 great all around performance, a nice balance
Old 03-13-20, 11:04 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

which tire has the longest tread life? currently on michelin as3+ as well, looks like theyre wearing out

Quick Reply: New Tires - Stick with AS/3?