IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Other drivers freaking suck :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 02:22 PM
Is300f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other drivers freaking suck :(

Parked my IS at the end of the parking lot with no one around at a local strip mall yesterday. I came back out at there was a shopping cart near by with no car so I didn't think much of I. This morning this is white I find on my drivers side rear door. So Pissed right now. There's a hairline scratch h and that brown streak. The brown streak seems to be from something rubber but it definitely looks transferred on. Any help on removing it? Feeling pretty upset right now people freaking suck! I was parked literally so far away bothering no one.
Old 10-10-16, 02:34 PM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Is300f
Parked my IS at the end of the parking lot with no one around at a local strip mall yesterday. I came back out at there was a shopping cart near by with no car so I didn't think much of I. This morning this is white I find on my drivers side rear door. So Pissed right now. There's a hairline scratch h and that brown streak. The brown streak seems to be from something rubber but it definitely looks transferred on. Any help on removing it? Feeling pretty upset right now people freaking suck! I was parked literally so far away bothering no one.
That really sucks......its hard to tell in the picture but that may just buff and polish right out. Have you tried that yet?>?>
Old 10-10-16, 02:43 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I think you can buff out the rubber mark with scratch remover.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G103...s+ScratchX+2.0
Old 10-10-16, 02:49 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

You can use water to "buff" it out or this: http://amzn.to/2drz1sy
Old 10-10-16, 09:55 PM
Is300f
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I have some scratch X sitting around, so I'll try it. I tried washing it off with a microfiber cloth and soap, to no avail. Hopefully the maguires works. I dunno if I should even bother with the hairline scratch above the brown streak.
Old 10-11-16, 03:22 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use clay kits to remove it.
Scratch X or any scratch removal stuff will leave swirls marks.
Old 10-12-16, 12:50 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Man, that sucks! So sorry to see this I always park in the back away from others cause I don't trust nobody! I hate careless people and haters alike Like others mentioned, be careful with the Scratch X stuff. You don't want to invite more swirls to your paint right now. Try washing the area with soap and water. If not, try a light to mild polisher and that should take care of it! Good luck and please report if you were able to get rid of it!
Old 10-12-16, 04:22 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you tried just a new, wet magic eraser?
Old 10-12-16, 05:34 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man, getting hit by a runaway shopping cart is the worst when you're at a strip mall. However, it does look like it can buff out though...
Old 10-26-16, 05:42 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubbing alcohol
Old 10-26-16, 07:37 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

That looks like a soft rubber (possibly a woman's purse or even a set of running shoes tied up to a backpack?). It should come right out with a detailing clay bar.
Old 11-01-16, 11:34 PM
hawtsoup
Driver School Candidate

You can also try some toothpaste, and go at it in a circular motion. It sounds ridiculous but it might work. I had some weird marks on my ultra white IS that I couldn't get off from claybar but toothpaste did the job.
Old 11-03-16, 03:03 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
Have you tried just a new, wet magic eraser?
this is TERRIBLE advice. whatever you do, DO NOT USE A MAGIC ERASER ON CAR PAINT. Magic Erasers are made from melamine foam. When a Magic Eraser gets wet, its abrasiveness is the equivalent of 3000 to 5000 grit sandpaper. That might not sound very rough, but on car paint the damage could be severe depending on how hard you scrub.

Using a Magic Eraser to clean a spot on your car will scratch the paint.

Originally Posted by hawtsoup
You can also try some toothpaste, and go at it in a circular motion. It sounds ridiculous but it might work. I had some weird marks on my ultra white IS that I couldn't get off from claybar but toothpaste did the job.
Toothpaste includes a fine polish. I'd be careful to use on car paint. Just go buy car polish

Originally Posted by harkirath
Rubbing alcohol
If diluted and applied properly, this could work. You should never use isopropyl alcohol at full strength or it could permanently cause damage to the paint.

GUYS. STOP GIVING BAD ADVICE. This is a 35-50k car. I'd be very careful with these weird off the wall suggestions.
If you want to DIY, use the appropriate tools/products. Clay bar, scratch X, buffer wheel, etc. If you cheap out, you might be spending a bigger sum of money fixing the mistake.

Last edited by dnasians; 11-03-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-04-16, 07:59 AM
Avi8orco
Rookie

^^^^^^...that

You would be surprised at what a claybar is capable of removing. That should be your go to for removing the mark. It's possible it could take some work to get it off with the clay but it should get it off. Next step is to see if the scratch is too deep for conventional methods. Try and see if it can catch your fingernail, if it does, it's too deep to totally polish out and you'll need to have someone that knows what they're doing wetsand it.. If it doesn't, it should buff out with a good compound..and I don't mean that cheap Turtle wax rubbing compound in the green can. Get some Meguire's ultimate compound and ultimate polish, or even better, Meg's M105 and 205. Either one of those should get it out completely or hide it very well. Know the claybar WILL slightly mar the surface, especially the ridiculously fragile paint on our cars, that's ok because the polish should take care of that.

M105 and 205 are superb products, this is a friend's RX that I think was only ever washed in a gas station drive through wash. It was horribly scratched and swirled. This is a before/after shot, I hit it with the 105/205 combo on my dual action polisher.

Last edited by Avi8orco; 11-04-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 08:24 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The best advice - start with a Clay Bar.

For reference, here's an Amazon link

Last edited by RX469; 11-04-16 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Other drivers freaking suck :(