IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 vs 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 11:22 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Yeah just noticed this..I guess it's kind of a free upgrade if someone is going to get '17 over '16 anyway. If only the previous gen owners can mod theirs to fit 10" but I doubt the resolution will match up.
But is the navigation system worth buying for $1.5K? If it's just going to give directions and nothing else, I might as well use my phone. Are there any additional features it provides?
Old 10-06-16, 11:26 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The software will be changed to optimize the larger display.
If you can afford it - wait for 2017.
I'm sure you can afford it.
Haha I wish! I'd love to go for the 2017 one. But I'm concerned about how much more expensive will it be. I don't have a precise idea since the offical pricing hasn't been release yet (or has it?).
If it's going to cost me around $4-6K more, I think I'll just go for the 2016 one. Of course I'll have to make myself like a color for that.
Old 10-06-16, 11:32 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SantiP
Haha I wish! I'd love to go for the 2017 one. But I'm concerned about how much more expensive will it be. I don't have a precise idea since the offical pricing hasn't been release yet (or has it?).
If it's going to cost me around $4-6K more, I think I'll just go for the 2016 one. Of course I'll have to make myself like a color for that.
Don't buy just cause if a budget. Save up some more money and don't buy a color you don't love. And the 17 is far better car. I bought a es a couple months back. They had the color I wanted in the showroom so I was set on that color. But they didn't have all my options so I waiting until they got the car I wanted. Since this is a expensive purchase. Just wast for the 17.
Old 10-06-16, 01:37 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with imrankh24. Wait until 2017 model comes out and get what you really want. I got a 2014 in black and was miserable because I wanted the USB again. The black car was never what I "wanted" and I forced myself to like it. Luckily they came out with the USB again and I was able to trade into one several months early...never been happier.
Old 10-06-16, 04:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mjh09e
I agree with imrankh24. Wait until 2017 model comes out and get what you really want. I got a 2014 in black and was miserable because I wanted the USB again. The black car was never what I "wanted" and I forced myself to like it. Luckily they came out with the USB again and I was able to trade into one several months early...never been happier.
were you leasing or purchasing the black vehicle. i'm curious because i'm in a similar situation with one of my cars, although i'm purchasing and about two years into a five year loan. :/
Old 10-07-16, 02:50 AM
SnakeGT
Driver School Candidate

I wish we could use the new screen in the 14-16 gen but also doubt the resolution would match up.
Old 10-07-16, 03:57 AM
Osssen
Driver School Candidate

I am in the same boat, got an amazing price on the current model,but it does feel a bit outdated tbh :/
Wish they would have done something about the engine, gearbox and weight though. Feels like the facelift won't push any sale numbers.
For example other plug in hybrids feel Superior, like the bmw 330e and cheaper than Lexus if it's a company car.
Old 10-07-16, 11:48 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

You have the same problem I had. The problem is you can get a 16 fairly deeply discounted which is going to create a fairly solid $4-6K price difference. So then you have to ask if the extra safety and larger screen are worth that much. And since the safety features aren't a huge deal, now you're paying that much for a 3" larger screen and some cosmetic differences. For me that was too hard a sell and I went for the 16. I've seen the larger screen in the 2016 NX, and while it's nice I really don't feel cheated by the 7" in my 16. I like to have the music channels up all the time so I split the screen and my map is pretty small, but if I'm ever actually using the map to navigate I just flip it to full screen and it's fine. I would have liked the pre-collision system, but then again the brakes in the F-sport are fantastic.

In the end it's all about what you'll regret a year from now. Will you regret the extra $ you paid, or will you regret not having the screen and safety.
Old 10-07-16, 11:52 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Also - I don't know if the 17 switches to the mouse-pad cursor controller that the NX has or stays with the current joystick, but if it's the mousepad really play with that first before you decide. I thought the mouse pad was AWFUL. So awful that the one feature alone impacted my buying decision. I don't need to spend that much on a car with a feature that frustrates me daily. I haven't seen the inside of a 17 yet, so not sure if this is valid but just in case. I only mention in because the NX has the larger screen that's paired with the mouse pad and they may have used the whole system.
Old 10-07-16, 12:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Also - I don't know if the 17 switches to the mouse-pad cursor controller that the NX has or stays with the current joystick, but if it's the mousepad really play with that first before you decide. I thought the mouse pad was AWFUL. So awful that the one feature alone impacted my buying decision. I don't need to spend that much on a car with a feature that frustrates me daily. I haven't seen the inside of a 17 yet, so not sure if this is valid but just in case. I only mention in because the NX has the larger screen that's paired with the mouse pad and they may have used the whole system.
The NX does not have a larger screen.

The 17 IS gets the new remote touch controller, and not the touch pad.
Old 10-07-16, 01:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

You have the same problem I had. The problem is you can get a 16 fairly deeply discounted which is going to create a fairly solid $4-6K price difference. So then you have to ask if the extra safety and larger screen are worth that much. And since the safety features aren't a huge deal, now you're paying that much for a 3" larger screen and some cosmetic differences. For me that was too hard a sell and I went for the 16. I've seen the larger screen in the 2016 NX, and while it's nice I really don't feel cheated by the 7" in my 16. I like to have the music channels up all the time so I split the screen and my map is pretty small, but if I'm ever actually using the map to navigate I just flip it to full screen and it's fine. I would have liked the pre-collision system, but then again the brakes in the F-sport are fantastic.

In the end it's all about what you'll regret a year from now. Will you regret the extra $ you paid, or will you regret not having the screen and safety.
It's the law of diminishing returns; twice the price, but not twice the car.
If the OP was after value for money, he'd buy a $20,000 car.
Get 2017 if you can afford it.
I'm certain the OP can afford it...
Old 10-07-16, 01:56 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
The NX does not have a larger screen.
Yeah I got turned around somewhere. Thought it was......
Old 10-11-16, 04:53 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Yep, that's true. I'd go for the 2016 but I just can't seem to make myself like a color. I wish they'd kept the Matador Red. I feel if I'm spending this much and I don't love the color, then it doesn't make sense. I know it may not make much sense financially, but I can't seem to get over the fact that the color in the 2016 won't be one which I really like.
Old 10-12-16, 06:32 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys keep mentioning the $4-6k price difference, but if you only keep the car a few years you will get most of that back on the back end (i.e., when you sell it). It's not like that $4-6k is completely wasted. For example, what is the price difference between an otherwise identical 2012 and 2013 IS, or 2013 and 2014 (ignoring the generation change) or 2014 and 2015?
The following users liked this post:
Atav25 (02-06-20)
Old 10-12-16, 07:35 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SantiP
Yep, that's true. I'd go for the 2016 but I just can't seem to make myself like a color. I wish they'd kept the Matador Red. I feel if I'm spending this much and I don't love the color, then it doesn't make sense. I know it may not make much sense financially, but I can't seem to get over the fact that the color in the 2016 won't be one which I really like.
Can't say I disagree - on the whole if you are spending this much money, you don't want to regret the color. With my previous car I worked too hard to convince myself I'd be OK without a few things and regretted it about 3 months into it. I was a lease so I was stuck with it for about 20 months until I could get out.

Quick Reply: 2016 vs 2017 Lexus IS