IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will Toyota bring the IS300H to North America anytime soon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 12:29 PM
internalau
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Will Toyota bring the IS300H to North America anytime soon?

It seems available in Europe:
http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/is.../#Introduction

and Singapore, Thailand and a few countries in the Far East:
https://www.lexus.co.th/en/models/is/is-300h.html

Will it ever come to North American shore? I'm thinking of going for a pure battery electric vehicle for my next purchase but if I don't pursue a Tesla Model 3 for reliability and maintenance cost concerns after the warranty is over, I might suck it up and go the Toyota/Lexus hybrid route.

Last edited by internalau; 10-03-16 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't believe we'll ever see it here in the US.
Old 10-03-16, 01:25 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I would love to have the IS300H here. Sporty with the good MPG.

If your're really looking into getting a hybrid from lexus.

There is the ES300h 40+MPG
GS450h performance hybrid but still gets good MPG
Or the LS600h.
Old 10-03-16, 04:46 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they bring the IS Hybrid over here, I would trade in my 200T without 2nd thought.
The ES on paper, has better fuel economy than the Camry Hybrid, but in real life, the Camry get better fuel economy. I don't own the ES (2013), my bro does. His complain is the Camry has better FE. We trade car for a month and the result is the same. My 2012 Camry get better FE than his 2013 ES300H not much (650 vs 620 on 15.5 gal refuel). And yes, both cars has the same drivetrain.
Even if the IS Hybrid FE isn't as good as the Camry nor the ES (less than 1 MPG) is still a worth for me to bring 1 home.
I love the fact that I only have to fill up my Camry Hybrid once a month.
Old 10-04-16, 09:15 AM
internalau
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't believe we'll ever see it here in the US.
Thanks. That's too bad.

Originally Posted by nathantse
I would love to have the IS300H here. Sporty with the good MPG.

If your're really looking into getting a hybrid from lexus.

There is the ES300h 40+MPG
GS450h performance hybrid but still gets good MPG
Or the LS600h.
I'd rather have a RWD-bias hybrid as all our cars right now are FWD, except for a RAV4 Hybrid. The GS will be too expensive for my taste set against the $14k electric vehicle rebates in Ontario, Canada.

That is what I was thinking. At 35-40 MPG, that is pretty good for a car that beat most competitors (except the ATS-V) in terms of handling.

Originally Posted by MatrixPC
If they bring the IS Hybrid over here, I would trade in my 200T without 2nd thought.
The ES on paper, has better fuel economy than the Camry Hybrid, but in real life, the Camry get better fuel economy. I don't own the ES (2013), my bro does. His complain is the Camry has better FE. We trade car for a month and the result is the same. My 2012 Camry get better FE than his 2013 ES300H not much (650 vs 620 on 15.5 gal refuel). And yes, both cars has the same drivetrain.
Even if the IS Hybrid FE isn't as good as the Camry nor the ES (less than 1 MPG) is still a worth for me to bring 1 home.
I love the fact that I only have to fill up my Camry Hybrid once a month.
Yeah, I think Toyota purposely makes the Toyota variant less nicer looking exterior-wise compared to the Lexus version. Also the Camry's steering is made really soft and suspension very forgiving.
Old 10-04-16, 12:18 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I would have bought an IS300h in a heartbeat. Just leaving that here in case Lexus is listening.

I think the reason we won't has a lot of factors, but I've read that it basically comes down to the perception that the American market still values going fast over going efficient, and so long as we have cheap gas it will stay that way. And when it comes to the luxury brands, fast and sporty are what's expected. Lexus in America is trying to build itself into a sport brand - go fast, drive hard. The ES300h is already an offering that's NOT in that category, so it's safe to offer hybrid. 450h is really a performance hybrid anyway so that still fits the image. And its $$$$.

I think marketing is a lousy reason because I think there is a larger market for a car that is sporty, efficient, has luxury and is affordable than these companies appreciate. But the American market has put hybrids into basically two categories - high efficiency people movers or high performance cars. Not much in between. Maybe if gas gets to $5-6 we might see a change...
Old 10-04-16, 12:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think there are a few reasons why Lexus decided not to bring it here.

Lexus has quite an offering of hybrid cars as it is, with the CT200h, ES300h, GS450h, and LS600h, and given demand for hybrids is less than for conventional drivetrains, I assume Lexus felt someone who is interested in an IS hybrid could find another vehicle in the lineup, even if there isn't really a good substitute in the ES or GS.

I think the biggest driver is price. Given the premium that Lexus charges for the hybrids over the gasoline versions, a hybrid IS will be firmly in the range of a well equipped GS350. In that case, with an IS300h, you'd be getting a smaller car with better mileage but less power and refinement than a GS350 and that may become a tough sell.
Old 10-04-16, 03:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have driven the IS300h while on business in Singapore.
I think eventually the IS300h will make it here.
The IS300h & ES300h sounds good on paper.

Once you test drive the IS300h, you will be disappointed like the ES300h, especially if you recently tested a Camry Hybrid.
Because the Camry is light, so much quicker, and seemingly smoother.
However, both ISh & ESh are heavier, hence the acceleration is much slower, and the 2.5L in-line four cylinder is harsher to rev.
Worse is the battery pack - it is too small!
On EV Mode, large throttle openings cause the internal combustion engine ICE to kick-in.
Furthermore, because the battery pack is so small in capacity, even on small throttle openings, the ISh & ESh doesn't have much range before the conventional ICE kicks in.

IMO, Toyota/Lexus needs to make the battery pack from more energy dense lithium ion cells, and make the overall Amp-hour capacity significantly larger, with larger and more powerful electric motors.
This makes the gasoline-electric hybrid a plug-in electric hybrid PHEV, and it brings the vehicle much closer to a full blown battery powered electric vehicle BEV similar to Teslas.
Furthermore, like the ISh overseas, the battery pack should be located under the trunk with no spare tire at all, and just a can of tire repair kit, thus avoiding the use of uncomfortable run-flats...
Old 10-04-16, 07:42 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

Once you test drive the IS300h, you will be disappointed like the ES300h, especially if you recently tested a Camry Hybrid.
However, both ISh & ESh are heavier, hence the acceleration is much slower, and the 2.5L in-line four cylinder is harsher to rev.
On EV Mode, large throttle openings cause the internal combustion engine ICE to kick-in.
Furthermore, because the battery pack is so small in capacity, even on small throttle openings, the ISh & ESh doesn't have much range before the conventional ICE kicks in.

IMO, Toyota/Lexus needs to make the battery pack from more energy dense lithium ion cells, and make the overall Amp-hour capacity significantly larger, with larger and more powerful electric motors.
This makes the gasoline-electric hybrid a plug-in electric hybrid PHEV, and it brings the vehicle much closer to a full blown battery powered electric vehicle BEV similar to Teslas.
Furthermore, like the ISh overseas, the battery pack should be located under the trunk with no spare tire at all, and just a can of tire repair kit, thus avoiding the use of uncomfortable run-flats...
Agree, as an owner of a Lexus hybrid. Though I get a range of more than 900kms a tankful, it seems increasingly clear how much more advanced in performance other hybrid technologies have become, and I suspect, advanced at a rate Lexus never thought its competitors would, or could. New rivals match or surpass the Lexus economy figures, but also provide outstanding performance.
Old 10-05-16, 08:27 AM
internalau
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteharvey

The current Lexus hybrid line is probably stuck on the 3rd gen Prius hybrid technology. Perhaps when they go to 4th gen, they will be better with the Li-on batteries that you mention are denser.

I don't care too much about 0-60 acceleration because I don't drive my cars hard and there's courtesy for fellow motorists. Even if slower than a hybrid Camry, with RWD or AWD, I'm pretty sure it will handle better at fast enough speed. Just the tighter steering (if the current gen Camry's is still very light) on the Lexus is god sent.

Funny, how articles about Tesla is all about straight line acceleration and nothing about tracking the car.

Originally Posted by webra
Agree, as an owner of a Lexus hybrid. Though I get a range of more than 900kms a tankful, it seems increasingly clear how much more advanced in performance other hybrid technologies have become, and I suspect, advanced at a rate Lexus never thought its competitors would, or could. New rivals match or surpass the Lexus economy figures, but also provide outstanding performance.
Which hybrid technologies have become more advanced and which do you think have the best technology? I can only think of Hyundai/Kia, Ford and the 2017 Honda Accord. I am a little bias in that I favor Japanese cars but would love to know which hybrids are beating Toyota at its own game (SUV, sedan or whatever format).

Last edited by internalau; 10-05-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 04:25 PM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by internalau
The current Lexus hybrid line is probably stuck on the 3rd gen Prius hybrid technology. Perhaps when they go to 4th gen, they will be better with the Li-on batteries that you mention are denser.

I don't care too much about 0-60 acceleration because I don't drive my cars hard and there's courtesy for fellow motorists. Even if slower than a hybrid Camry, with RWD or AWD, I'm pretty sure it will handle better at fast enough speed. Just the tighter steering (if the current gen Camry's is still very light) on the Lexus is god sent.

Funny, how articles about Tesla is all about straight line acceleration and nothing about tracking the car.

Which hybrid technologies have become more advanced and which do you think have the best technology? I can only think of Hyundai/Kia, Ford and the 2017 Honda Accord. I am a little bias in that I favor Japanese cars but would love to know which hybrids are beating Toyota at its own game (SUV, sedan or whatever format).
Thanks. Some examples include latest plug in hybrids such as the 330e, C350e, 740e, XC90 etc. Discounting 'plug in' capability they still roughly match the Lexus economy figures but is in a completely different league in performance.
Old 10-06-16, 06:58 AM
internalau
Rookie

Originally Posted by webra
Thanks. Some examples include latest plug in hybrids such as the 330e, C350e, 740e, XC90 etc. Discounting 'plug in' capability they still roughly match the Lexus economy figures but is in a completely different league in performance.
Thanks for citing some examples. The thing with European cars is that sometimes they over-engineer things to that point that repairs become costlier in terms of labor and parts after the warranty period. This is probably why we are here in a Lexus forum.

Also, which of the Euro car come out with the least number of electric gremlins? I heard VW is very infamous for that so even with some missing components compared to non-hybrid autos (starter, electric a/c, multi-gear transmission since Toyota Hybrids are mostly using eCVT).

As an aside, going to pure EV will get around engine and transmission issues with Euro cars but if other components start breaking down, it's another thing. I'm happy MB, BMW, VW and Volvo are going to produce battery electric vehicles too but it's the concern for reliability that hounds me.
Old 10-06-16, 07:41 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by internalau
Thanks for citing some examples. The thing with European cars is that sometimes they over-engineer things to that point that repairs become costlier in terms of labor and parts after the warranty period. This is probably why we are here in a Lexus forum.

Also, which of the Euro car come out with the least number of electric gremlins? I heard VW is very infamous for that so even with some missing components compared to non-hybrid autos (starter, electric a/c, multi-gear transmission since Toyota Hybrids are mostly using eCVT).

As an aside, going to pure EV will get around engine and transmission issues with Euro cars but if other components start breaking down, it's another thing. I'm happy MB, BMW, VW and Volvo are going to produce battery electric vehicles too but it's the concern for reliability that hounds me.
I agree. I also own a BMW. If Lexus' method to attain reliability is to reduce performance, then to me it's no different than other brands sacrificing reliability for performance. Reliability alone may not be enough anymore. Lexus could be superior if it achieves both top performance and top reliability. But their recent releases have either been slower than previous models, or slower than rivals by one class. So I could speculate that even if a twin turbo V6 arrives, it too might be disappointing for performance enthusiasts. Over here, Infinity is pricing their new 400 bhp twin turbo almost 1/3 lower than the much slower and older GS350. However, it may be that for the majority, looking fast is a more important thing, and that Lexus may have achieved it in its recent more edgy design language.
Old 10-06-16, 06:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

One thing Toyota/Lexus is doing is watching to see how things fan out.
Eg, they waited to see if small capacity turbos would kick in.
They waited to see if their gasoline-electric hybrids would sell.
They are presently waiting to see if battery powered electric vehicles BEV's will go.
Now, they have realised that small capacity turbos are catching on, so the 2.0L four cylinder turbo is out, and watch out for V6 and V8 twin turbos.

Secondly, it takes longer for Toyota/Lexus to develop, because they do so more thoroughly for greater reliability.

Hence this long wait we are having right now for new platforms with high aluminium content, and small capacity turbos spreading into V6's and V8's.
Toyota/Lexus is very slowly introducing plug-in hybrids PHEV's with bigger batteries and bigger electric motors for both more power, and a longer electric range...
Old 10-06-16, 07:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP, don't count on an IS h in N.America, at least for this current gen.

It's my wish too and would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm waiting on the UX now to see if a hybid variant will come along. For now, I traded my IS 250 AWD a few months and "settled" for a used HS 250h as my daily hybrid commuter, averaging 7l/100km on 87 octane. It's no IS in the handling and looks department, but it's smooth, comfy, and quiet, and fairly cheap to buy used. Very pleased with it...

Quick Reply: Will Toyota bring the IS300H to North America anytime soon?