IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How does the rear cross traffic work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 03:49 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default How does the rear cross traffic work?

Hey guys can someone elaborate on how the rear cross traffic alert works?
To my understanding there is a sensor under the rear bumper that is used for the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and rear cross traffic alert. Reason I'm asking is that I got rear ended earlier this week by a lady who was texting -_-. Not bad but enough that ill have to replace the bumper as i will not settle for a bumper with bondo. Anyway I've noticed the rear cross traffic alert isn't as active as it was prior so I'm assuming something is damaged. My BSM still works perfectly though.

I told my body shop guy about it and he himself is not sure how this works so i wanted to get some insight as to how would i find out if that sensor is really damaged or not. So i can make sure it gets replaced if needed (the lady wants to pay out of pocket, we'll see about that once she gets the quote lol).

Thanks all
Old 09-25-16, 04:11 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i believe the rear cross traffic alert only works for back up camera. as you back up your car, it will alert you if it detects ANY movements. so i don't think it has anything to do with BSM. BSM only detects the side and blind spots, not the rear. i'm no expert, only speaking out from my knowledge. correct me if i'm wrong. i'd be appreciate it.
Old 09-25-16, 04:53 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

RCTA works in collab with the side mirriors (BSM) and the back-up camera. It has about a 180 degree view.

It basically detects any movements when you are backing up. When it does detect movement, it will beep. Just some safety measure that Lexus gave ya.
Old 09-25-16, 05:17 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey thank you for the response. So basically the backup camera is kind of like the sensor for the BSM and Rear cross traffic alert. It has nothing to do with any sensors under the bumper. correct?

So it should be safe to assume that she didn't mess up my safety features by hitting me. Il have them check everything anyway. Don't text and drive folks it only causes unnecessary headaches
Old 09-25-16, 05:54 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Hey thank you for the response. So basically the backup camera is kind of like the sensor for the BSM and Rear cross traffic alert. It has nothing to do with any sensors under the bumper. correct?

So it should be safe to assume that she didn't mess up my safety features by hitting me. Il have them check everything anyway. Don't text and drive folks it only causes unnecessary headaches

There are no senors built into the rear bumper unless you optioned for Parking Assist. Most 3IS do not come with that.

The parking assist and the RCTA sensors are independent from each other.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 09-25-16, 06:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

There are radar sensors in the bumper for RCTA/BSM. The camera has no sensors. If your bumper was damaged, you should definitely have the sensors checked out.

Old 09-25-16, 06:52 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

You guys are all wrong except JDR76. RCTA has nothing to do with back up camera. The sensors are located on each side of the bumper, when you backup the sensors activate and send out radar to the side for cross traffic. Unlike parking sensors you cannot see them on the bumper, they are located inside the bumper. These sensors are also used for BSM during driving.

If the car was hit to the rear bumper or the side of rear quarter the car should be definitely checked for damaged sensors. Good bodyshop should know this already.

Last edited by dojoman; 09-25-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 08:51 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

There are radar sensors in the bumper for RCTA/BSM. The camera has no sensors. If your bumper was damaged, you should definitely have the sensors checked out.
nice. thanks for locating the sensor for us. i learned something new today i thought rear and side has their own sensors. haha so the sensor is for both BSM and the back up camera cross traffic alert. awesome!
Old 09-27-16, 09:51 PM
Nando1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good info here. Let us know how it goes