IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Owner 3IS 350 W/ Modification Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 06:24 AM
Felix3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner 3IS 350 W/ Modification Questions

Greetings everyone. I had just sold my g37 and decided to pick up a new 2016 IS 350 F sport last month. The car has been a great ride thus far, however, I am missing that "umph" I had at WOT with the G. But that may be because I had some bolt-ons on the G. Now that leads me into the market for an exhaust system for the 3is. However, this is a leased car and it is my first time leasing so I'm unsure of the restrictions involved with modifications. I'm assuming everything would be fine if I installed straight bolt-ons and return it as stock. I was hoping people can shed some light on some of the recommended exhaust or axle-backs in the market for the 3IS. I'm looking at the invidia q300 at the moment.
I had also looked into installing fog lights from iJDM, would that be acceptable on a leased car?
Thanks, I would greatly appreciate any input.
Old 09-21-16, 07:15 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome, I followed the same path. I had a fully bolted, uprev tuned g37. After I did all of the mods, I got bored and I had been eyeing the 3IS since 2014. I decided to pick up a '16 F sport, and I love it. Yes, I agree that the G may have had a little more kick, but I love the ride and the styling of my 3IS, and I can never go back.

I had the q300 on my G, with a set of fast intentions resonated HFC's, and the sound was perfect. I don't like things noisy; Performance is my priority, however I also like my car to be comfortable for daily driving with a little more sound when I'm on the throttle. the q300 brought that perfect balance. No drone. I was actually at the dealership a couple of weeks ago for my 10k service, and I bumped into a guy with a 3IS who had the q300 axle back. It sounded amazing! sounded nice and clean, just like it did on my G. I'm not sure if the axle back will do much for power, but he revved the engine for me and it sounded awesome. slightly more aggressive but not annoying, and at idle it practically sounded stock.

Regarding the lease, I would just hang on to all of your stock components. As long as you can replace everything with the stock parts when the time comes, you should be just fine. See you out there
Old 09-21-16, 07:38 AM
Felix3IS
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the input man. Yeah I miss the G sometimes but the interior of the IS to me is night and day. I love the IS interior and styling so much more compared to cheaper plastic parts it had in the G. However, I miss the kick it had.. and more so the growl my G use to have. Funny thing was I also had the Q300 but with Berks HFCs and R2C CAI. It sounded great and now when I ride in the 3is, it just isn't the same lol. The sound is comparable to a Prius.. which is nice when I roll out the driveway. I'm not looking for anything too loud but subtle and I think the axle-back will be perfect. Also getting the axle back will allow me to store the oem and swap back on easier.

Have you modded your 3is at all?

Originally Posted by CriMe
Welcome, I followed the same path. I had a fully bolted, uprev tuned g37. After I did all of the mods, I got bored and I had been eyeing the 3IS since 2014. I decided to pick up a '16 F sport, and I love it. Yes, I agree that the G may have had a little more kick, but I love the ride and the styling of my 3IS, and I can never go back.

I had the q300 on my G, with a set of fast intentions resonated HFC's, and the sound was perfect. I don't like things noisy; Performance is my priority, however I also like my car to be comfortable for daily driving with a little more sound when I'm on the throttle. the q300 brought that perfect balance. No drone. I was actually at the dealership a couple of weeks ago for my 10k service, and I bumped into a guy with a 3IS who had the q300 axle back. It sounded amazing! sounded nice and clean, just like it did on my G. I'm not sure if the axle back will do much for power, but he revved the engine for me and it sounded awesome. slightly more aggressive but not annoying, and at idle it practically sounded stock.

Regarding the lease, I would just hang on to all of your stock components. As long as you can replace everything with the stock parts when the time comes, you should be just fine. See you out there
Old 09-21-16, 07:57 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear ya. I had the Berk's on the G, but I was getting some rasp. The resonated HFC's took care of that and gave the car an amazing note. I haven't done anything to my IS apart from window tint and an audio system overhaul . But after hearing the q300 on the guy's car at the dealership, I am seriously thinking about it. I was going to do an intake, as I had the stillen gen 3 on my G and liked it a lot. But I read that the power gain w/ intake on the 3IS is not really significant and if anything you actually may lose some sound. The car is already quiet, so I didn't really like the idea of making it quieter lol
Old 09-27-16, 08:36 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can do pretty much whatever you want to the car as long as you return it stock the way you got it.

All axlebacks are quiet to me and if you are coming from a g with bolt ons you might feel the same. If you have money to blow get a meistershaft exhaust, or you can also get a custom straight pipe setup done at a muffler shop, thats what I did with my GS
Old 09-27-16, 08:50 AM
Felix3IS
Driver School Candidate

Just installed inividia's Q300 axle-back a few days ago. I expected it to be a lot more subtle based on the reviews. A lot of people said it would sound close to stock but it had a huge difference in the exhaust tone. You will hear the exhaust on ignition and low RPMs however, I haven't gotten a chance to test it out on the highway yet. Overall, I'm very content with the axle-back for now.

Originally Posted by bob4256
You can do pretty much whatever you want to the car as long as you return it stock the way you got it.

All axlebacks are quiet to me and if you are coming from a g with bolt ons you might feel the same. If you have money to blow get a meistershaft exhaust, or you can also get a custom straight pipe setup done at a muffler shop, thats what I did with my GS
Old 09-27-16, 10:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Contact us for more parts for your car. :P Check out our 3is.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-27-16, 10:36 AM
IreneIS350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you go with the polished tips or the burnt tips? Please post some pics
Old 09-28-16, 07:34 AM
Felix3IS
Driver School Candidate

Got the burnt tips. I know some folks dont't like it but I think its subtle and looks dope on the NGP

Originally Posted by IreneIS350
Did you go with the polished tips or the burnt tips? Please post some pics
Old 09-28-16, 09:45 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix3IS
Got the burnt tips. I know some folks dont't like it but I think its subtle and looks dope on the NGP
Go for whatever you like. I had polished tip before but I was sold when I see the burnt tips.