IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DIY: How to fix curb rash on your 3IS F Sport Wheels (including touch up paint!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 05:03 PM
Toh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then take your sandpaper (i used 200 grit) and fold it into a small square. And slowly sand down smooth the hardened putty. Don't be afraid of scratching/scuffing the surrounding paint between the curb rash. do the whole area. After you are done, you can apply more putty and repeat the process. I decided I didn't need the wheel to look absolutely perfect. Just good enough. Then shake up your phantom gray pearl paint and apply it over the putty smoothly. Let dry then apply clear!

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

When you mention applying the phantom gray pearl paint over the putty and then let it dry and apply clear, what is the clear you are referring to? Thanks!
Old 10-09-16, 06:12 AM
gmackmoney
Driver School Candidate

I have the non f-sport 350. what color would match up well. I think they are lighter than the f-sport rims.

great write up!
Old 10-10-16, 03:05 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by Toh
When you mention applying the phantom gray pearl paint over the putty and then let it dry and apply clear, what is the clear you are referring to? Thanks!
The clear coat comes w/ the paint stick I linked. It's the bottom container. has its own brush
Old 10-24-16, 11:42 PM
Toh
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
The clear coat comes w/ the paint stick I linked. It's the bottom container. has its own brush
Thanks! Was the process pretty easy and did it take a long time? I got the supplies and looking forward to do it this weekend. I might have to search for a video or something just to make sure I'm doing it right..
Old 10-25-16, 12:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toh
Thanks! Was the process pretty easy and did it take a long time? I got the supplies and looking forward to do it this weekend. I might have to search for a video or something just to make sure I'm doing it right..
Process was easy! The longest part is waiting for the bondo to dry. 30 min to an hour to harden? Just follow the instructions on the filler putty (bondo) and paint.

My tip with the filler, don't use too much of it. If you do, you'll have to do more sanding. Just enough to fill the scratch so its even with the rest of the wheel. Let it harden and just gently sand it down with the sand paper til its level with the rest of the wheel. I would thoroughly clean the affected area first then apply the filler. Then sleep and let it harden over night. That way the fun stuff can continue in the morning =)

I checked mine again after several car washes and driving in the rain. Looks great still.

So to recap the basic steps:

1) Clean and prep area. Use a toothbrush for best results. Dry/let dry. Mask tire with painters tape and any part of the wheel you DON'T want to sand, get paint on, etc.

2) Apply filler. Let dry per instructions on the container.

3) Sand using the roughest grit sandpaper that came in the kit first. I'd cut little squares (maybe 4" square) and fold to where it fits your finger tip so you can precision sand using your finger. Sand gently and evenly until the hardened filler is even with the rest of the wheel. Slightly feather out your sanding to a very small portion of the surrounding area of the damage. Once you are satisfied with the general level of the damage with the surrounding undamaged area, switch to the finger sandpaper and go over it lightly so the paint will look smooth when applied. You are working with a very tiny area so your sanding job will be really fast. If you need to apply more filler do it again. And let dry again. And repeat as necessary.

4) Once filler is dry per instructions on container, go ahead and shake your paint up and start painting the area per the instructions on the paint. Usually with paint less is more. Do a coat, let it "dry" for 10-15 min or so and apply another. Maybe do 2-3 as necessary. Take your time and go slow here. Don't put too much paint--very tempting to overpaint.

5) After your final coat has set for some time (maybe 30 minutes?) then apply the clear coat using the sponge applicator. Do multiple thin coats with 10-15 min dry time in between for best results. Let dry completely before you drive the car.

The more time you take, the better your results will be.

I'll add this summary to the top post to help people new to painting. It's easy!
Old 10-25-16, 12:42 PM
Toh
Rookie

Thanks, very helpful!
Old 10-29-16, 11:14 AM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick question....can you purchase the Phantom Grey Touch up paint through Lexus/Toyota? I'm in Canada and the dealership here can't seem to find it for me.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-16, 05:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JWIS350
Quick question....can you purchase the Phantom Grey Touch up paint through Lexus/Toyota? I'm in Canada and the dealership here can't seem to find it for me.

Thanks!
Maybe. It'll cost a pretty penny though. the clear would likely have to be bought separate too. and since it's an older toyota color, most dealers may not even have it in stock.

just order it with the link i provided.
Old 10-29-16, 06:06 PM
JWIS350
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the response man! Much appreciated.
Old 10-30-16, 06:52 AM
wftreg
Driver School Candidate

Smile car

I just purchased a 2014 IS250 and the only thing I was not happy with are the scratches on the rims. Your post looks like a great option and so I ordered the epoxy and paint. I appreciate the photos, good instructions and where to buy by the supplies. Thanks!
wftreg
Old 10-30-16, 11:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You're welcome =) Always good to help others!
Old 11-06-16, 11:33 PM
BLASTER777
Driver School Candidate

Excellent info thanks for taking the time.
Old 12-22-17, 10:54 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Perfect and cery helpful....will get the spray ordered thanks
Old 12-22-17, 11:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. A year and a half later my touchups are still holding up. I need to do it again though cause i curbed it again recently. LOL. good thing I have so much left over. you can do this countless times, really.
Old 12-24-17, 06:03 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

My front passenger wheel need a full paint job. I may unmount the wheel, sand, and DIY paint and clear coat with same paint code

Quick Reply: DIY: How to fix curb rash on your 3IS F Sport Wheels (including touch up paint!)