IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 07:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Yeah but they are $50. I already had my bulbs from a previous car and the resistors were less than $7.

someone in the review of that bulb said that LED bulb you linked overheats fast and bulb dims after a few blinks. The resistor I installed is kind of large and is able to handle heat. it gets warm as it is. now that bulb is supposed to contain everything all in one with a tiny resistor? where does the heat go? I'm not sure i would trust that.
Old 09-30-16, 09:15 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

About these LED turn signal, even thou they seem to be good, they are not DOT/ECE compliant.

I would recommend getting the the Philips LED turn signals which are ECE compliant.

http://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12763X...n-led-car-lamp

Here it is in action on YouTube on a car. There was one on a Lexus but that video has since been removed.

PHILIPS X-treme Ultinon LED T20 Amber / WY21 - YouTube

Last edited by Sango; 09-30-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 09:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
About these LED turn signal, even thou they seem to be good, they are not DOT/ECE compliant.

I would recommend getting the the Philips LED turn signals which are ECE compliant.

http://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12763X...n-led-car-lamp

Here it is in action on YouTube on a car. There was one on a Lexus but that video has since been removed.

PHILIPS X-treme Ultinon LED T20 Amber / WY21 - YouTube
For a main headlight, that might be critical. But for a turn signal, as long as it's bright it's fine. And boy these are bright. Much like in that pic you linked.

BTW while cool and important all "DOT" compliant means is that the manufacture paid a testing agency to get their product validated. That costs thousand of dollars.

So again for headlights, critical. But for something as simple as a turn signal, as long as it's bright and visible to other drivers, that's what counts. That's why the units I use have a projector and 360 degree coverage LEDs. It emits lights in all directions.
Old 09-30-16, 12:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
For a main headlight, that might be critical. But for a turn signal, as long as it's bright it's fine. And boy these are bright. Much like in that pic you linked.

BTW while cool and important all "DOT" compliant means is that the manufacture paid a testing agency to get their product validated. That costs thousand of dollars.

So again for headlights, critical. But for something as simple as a turn signal, as long as it's bright and visible to other drivers, that's what counts. That's why the units I use have a projector and 360 degree coverage LEDs. It emits lights in all directions.
I am in partial agreement however the beam pattern of those are not correct. I too had used LED turn signals in the past with my IS, however I took them off eventually. While they were nice and bright, they were considerably blinding to the driver behind them, depending on the angle. This would not be a safe thing to do, and is one of major reasons I took it off and did not want to risk being pulled over by a cop for potentially illegal or unsafe turn signals.
Old 09-30-16, 12:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I am in partial agreement however the beam pattern of those are not correct. I too had used LED turn signals in the past with my IS, however I took them off eventually. While they were nice and bright, they were considerably blinding to the driver behind them, depending on the angle. This would not be a safe thing to do, and is one of major reasons I took it off and did not want to risk being pulled over by a cop for potentially illegal or unsafe turn signals.
Have you tried my specific LED turn signals? Not sure how you can say they are not correct. What's correct? The pattern is evenly dispersed against a wall but very bright. Exactly what you want in a turn signal. The point is not to illuminate a road, but for other people to see you. They are fine. I get what you are saying about not blinding people, I have a whole article about that and I'm a known authority on lighting matters on other forums. But that really pertains to headlights. Turn signals aren't inherently powerful (or large enough) to "blind" you.

I've been behind both my Lexuses (CT200H and is200t) with this same bulb setup. Very bright but not "blinding."

It's just a turn signal.

Headlights are a whole different ballgame and I am strict on those. See my RX350 non-AFS bi-xenon retrofit using all professional Lexus parts. https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-...-denso.156821/

I do not skimp on headlights
Old 09-30-16, 12:38 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

And to be fair, if you want to talk about dangerous, your 6,000k ultinons in your headlights are a downgrade in lumens compared to stock. Sacrifice output in your main headlights for color? I'm pretty sure that's illegal too. At least here in CA it is. LOL Just poking at you a bit
Old 09-30-16, 01:07 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Does adding LEDs w/resistors affect the "tap" feature where just tapping the stalk gets 3-5 blinks and auto turns off? I read in another forum that this affected their feature (it was not a Lexus IS).
Old 09-30-16, 01:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Does adding LEDs w/resistors affect the "tap" feature where just tapping the stalk gets 3-5 blinks and auto turns off? I read in another forum that this affected their feature (it was not a Lexus IS).
Nope. My car taps 3 perfectly when i switch lanes upon light press of the stalk. Car is 100% normal. car doesn't know otherwise.
Old 09-30-16, 03:03 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Have you tried my specific LED turn signals? Not sure how you can say they are not correct. What's correct? The pattern is evenly dispersed against a wall but very bright. Exactly what you want in a turn signal. The point is not to illuminate a road, but for other people to see you. They are fine. I get what you are saying about not blinding people, I have a whole article about that and I'm a known authority on lighting matters on other forums. But that really pertains to headlights. Turn signals aren't inherently powerful (or large enough) to "blind" you.

I've been behind both my Lexuses (CT200H and is200t) with this same bulb setup. Very bright but not "blinding."

It's just a turn signal.

Headlights are a whole different ballgame and I am strict on those. See my RX350 non-AFS bi-xenon retrofit using all professional Lexus parts. https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-...-denso.156821/

I do not skimp on headlights
Not your specific one but they are similar in design. The blinding part in question is the projector part for the cree which I noticed which I purchased from JLC Lighting back then.

So you're one of the authorities on the candlepowerforums? I read those too and there are some expert folks there.

And to be fair, if you want to talk about dangerous, your 6,000k ultinons in your headlights are a downgrade in lumens compared to stock. Sacrifice output in your main headlights for color? I'm pretty sure that's illegal too. At least here in CA it is. LOL Just poking at you a bit
They were able to illuminate better than the road better than stock (I think it was Toshiba, I forgot) plus I'm using HID projector fogs in combination
Old 09-30-16, 03:06 PM
DJSpeed
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah but they are $50. I already had my bulbs from a previous car and the resistors were less than $7.

someone in the review of that bulb said that LED bulb you linked overheats fast and bulb dims after a few blinks. The resistor I installed is kind of large and is able to handle heat. it gets warm as it is. now that bulb is supposed to contain everything all in one with a tiny resistor? where does the heat go? I'm not sure i would trust that.
actually no.. the resistors and bulb are not built into one. there are 4 parts in each kit. 2 bulbs and 2 resistors boxes. so if the resistor goes out you can just order a new one I suppose and vice versa with the bulb. never had issues with dimming especially in the summer times when it gets 110 degreess out here. we even used my car to do photoshoots out of my car with my hazards on for 1 to 2 hours over the weekends and never saw any dimming. I think I'm one of the few that use there blinkers longer than for a few seconds just for turning
Old 09-30-16, 03:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Not your specific one but they are similar in design. The blinding part in question is the projector part for the cree which I noticed which I purchased from JLC Lighting back then.

So you're one of the authorities on the candlepowerforums? I read those too and there are some expert folks there.

They were able to illuminate better than the road better than stock (I think it was Toshiba, I forgot) plus I'm using HID projector fogs in combination
Which projectors? Curious on your setup. Foglights I'm more forgiving. But obviously only with proper projectors, and especially not HID stuffed into reflectors.

as for the projector, it's small. the whole bulb is small as a whole. If you look at the photo in the product you linked, you see the blinker is bright as heck. Looks identical to mine. Do you have real life photos of those bulbs? I've never seen them before.
Old 09-30-16, 03:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

BTW those bulbs are $110 a pair on Amazon. Very cool but very expensive http://amzn.to/2dCgSgn
Old 09-30-16, 03:11 PM
DJSpeed
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went back to look at the link. I think I posted the wrong one.. here is the link for the ones I'm using.

store.ijdmtoy.com/Error-Free-CREE-High-Power-7440-LED-Bulbs-p/20-009.htm

Last edited by DJSpeed; 09-30-16 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 03:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Which projectors? Curious on your setup. Foglights I'm more forgiving. But obviously only with proper projectors, and especially not HID stuffed into reflectors.

as for the projector, it's small. the whole bulb is small as a whole. If you look at the photo in the product you linked, you see the blinker is bright as heck. Looks identical to mine. Do you have real life photos of those bulbs? I've never seen them before.
It was a few years ago as if memory serves right, it was was done from theretrofitsource. They gotten a projector which was modified to fit the fog housing.

The Philips T20? I personally do not have one but it was something I was considering on purchasing at the time but never did. I no longer have my 2nd gen IS so I have not been here for a while but considering looking for a new IS and look forward for the 2017.

BTW those bulbs are $110 a pair on Amazon. Very cool but very expensive http://amzn.to/2dCgSgn
The price seems too high as they seem to be going for almost 1/2 that from what I have seen, such as Rakuten.
Old 09-30-16, 03:53 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

It was a few years ago as if memory serves right, it was was done from theretrofitsource. They gotten a projector which was modified to fit the fog housing.

The Philips T20? I personally do not have one but it was something I was considering on purchasing at the time but never did. I no longer have my 2nd gen IS so I have not been here for a while but considering looking for a new IS and look forward for the 2017.

The price seems too high as they seem to be going for almost 1/2 that from what I have seen, such as Rakuten.
theyre probably Mini h1 projectors or those black ones... i forgot the name... Blazers?

Quick Reply: How to install LED Turn Signals in your 3IS! (Bright, safe, and proper LEDs)