Rusty rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 11:45 AM
is350lexf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty rock chips

Hey guys,

What would be the best way to tackle these rock chips? The rusted one is located on top of my windshield and the other on the bottom of my front bumper. I'm more worried about the rusted one and how to go about getting rid of the rust.
Attached Thumbnails Rusty rock chips-img_0219.jpg   Rusty rock chips-img_0221.jpg  
Old 09-05-16, 01:19 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The first chip you posted has probably been exposed to the elements for some time (or you live in a fairly corrosive environment). It's best to get these tackled as soon as possible to prevent the rust from chipping away at the surrounding paint. The second chip on your bumper is cosmetic. Our plastic bumpers don't rust.

Everyone has their preferred paint touch up brand, but I always goes with OEM. Just bring your paint code is (which is shown on the VIN label on the driver's door).

This is one of the best videos I've found on touching up paint chips. 95% of the work is the prep, not the actual painting process. I'm sure our detailing forums on here have equally good advice too.
Old 09-05-16, 11:26 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also got some nasty rock chip that i want to touch up too. where is the best place to get the exact paint for ultra white? code 083?
Old 09-05-16, 11:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Any steel exposed will rust. doesnt matter what year it is. Steel starts rusting the nano second its exposed. The paint has been chipped off.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a pearl white paint pen (assuming your car is pearl white)--find a Toyota/Lexus one but if not, any brand should be close enough. They usually will have a tip at the end thats used to scratch off rust/corrosion -- look for those types.

Then you basically dig out all the rust. You'll need to work the area surrounding the rust spot. So you'll need to dig out a little bit of paint to sand off ALL the rust. Then wipe it with alcohol and check again to make sure you got all of it.

Then paint over it slowly and methodically until you put enough paint to be level with the rest of the car. Then go over it with clear once it dries.

Thats the best thing to do short of respraying the whole roof.

always take care of chips asap.
Old 09-06-16, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I have three of these on my '14 that are rusted like that. Same spot. I was going to hole punch some sandpaper (1000 grit), crazy glue a couple to the eraser of a pencil and use that to sand off any rust before dabbing/blobbing some touch up paint on with a really small straw, rolled up paper or toothpick.
Old 09-06-16, 11:19 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Off topic..

But for chips that shows the black layer underneath (I'm assuming its the primer coating). Will these rust as well?

I've got a few on my 2016 IS350 in Ultra White.

Note: I live in the Bay Area, CA, will be climate affect rusting?
Old 09-06-16, 11:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

As long as bare steel is not exposed, it won't rust. Still, I'd paint it. Dont give rust the tiniest chance to rear its ugly head.

Check out a paint pen like this: http://amzn.to/2cA24KX

Don't worry about the color not being exact. As long as you're close, it'll work. The trick with this pen is it comes with a little sharp edge tool where you use to sand away the rust. You use it like you're using a pen to write. And it comes w/ clear coat. Way cheaper than the dealer.

Black for black, white for white, silver for silver. More specialized colors like Blue Mica may be harder but I'm sure you can find blue. This is for the occasional chip. you wont be repainting your whole car so 100% color match isn't a big deal. Did this on my silver BMW using a generic Toyota silver and it worked brilliantly to hide all my rock chips.
Old 09-07-16, 12:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
That is so fast, as OP's car is a 15. I notice you and OP are in a northern climates. I guess the speed at which rust starts must be climate and road treatments dependent, as I'm sure they salt your roads due to snow and ice. I have many of these small chips down to bare metal (thank you California freeways) on my 14 and have no rust. I failed to account for how road chemicals would greatly speed up the oxidation process.
As mentioned, age of car is irrelevant. Raw steel rusts. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new Rolls Royce off the factory line. It will start rusting the nano second the bare steel is exposed. Some environments will cause that rust to accelerate quicker to the point where you can see it with your eye. Talking days here.

Ever wash your car and see the rotors instantly rust? Or the brakes stick to the rotors when you drive away the morning after you wash your car? That's cause the rusting already began and welded itself to the raw steel rotors.

When you drive your car daily, you don't see this rust because the pads constantly wipe it away preventing it from building up.
Old 09-07-16, 01:16 PM
is350lexf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would using just a rust converter work? Changing the rust into a primer and then filling it in with Dr Colorchip or something similar.