IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 09:25 AM
prooks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS200t turbo issues

I've had my IS200t for about 5 months with 10,000 miles and noticed I am having problems with my turbo.
It seems like it's struggling to build boost as the needle fluctuates while climbing through the RPMS.
This happens under normal acceleration. It actually doesn't happen when WOT and when I drive slowly and stay out of boost.
There is no check engine light.

Has anyone else had this problem with the new turbo platform?
Would this be something that should be covered under warranty?
Old 08-26-16, 09:32 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Boost will fluctuate under part throttle inputs that have slight changes in throttle input. If you are holding boost through WOT then you have at least ruled out a leak which is good. Its possible there could be an issue with the boost control system (solenoids, wastegate, etc) but this should throw a code eventually. Can you post a video of it to help show what is happening more?

Mike
Old 08-26-16, 09:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

I think someone had a similar problem and it was an actuator that was sticking. $150 part replaced under warranty
Old 08-26-16, 09:52 AM
prooks
Rookie

Terrible video but you can see a little of what I'm talking about at the very end.
The needle on the boost gauge will go up and down even when going at a constant speed with the same amount of throttle.

View My Video

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Boost will fluctuate under part throttle inputs that have slight changes in throttle input. If you are holding boost through WOT then you have at least ruled out a leak which is good. Its possible there could be an issue with the boost control system (solenoids, wastegate, etc) but this should throw a code eventually. Can you post a video of it to help show what is happening more?

Mike
Old 08-26-16, 09:55 AM
prooks
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think someone had a similar problem and it was an actuator that was sticking. $150 part replaced under warranty
This gives me hope! Thanks, I'll mention that to the service adviser tomorrow.
I was afraid no one else was having this problem since it was a new platform.
Old 08-26-16, 10:39 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by prooks
This gives me hope! Thanks, I'll mention that to the service adviser tomorrow.
I was afraid no one else was having this problem since it was a new platform.
You can gleen over at the NX200 forums; from what I know. they share the same engine and turbo as the IS200T
Old 08-26-16, 10:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ost-issue.html

See post #21.

It was moved to performance.. not sure why. someone saw the word "boost" and assumed fast and furious type thread.

Old 08-26-16, 10:44 AM
prooks
Rookie

Sounds very similar. I do have a catback exhaust, but that's been on there for about 3 months without this problem.
I'm hoping it's the actuator sticking or wastegate. But thanks, very helpful!

Originally Posted by E46CT
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ost-issue.html

See post #21.

It was moved to performance.. not sure why. someone saw the word "boost" and assumed fast and furious type thread.
Old 08-26-16, 01:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^which cat back exhaust do you have? and do you like it? Let us know how the dealer deals with it.
Old 11-02-16, 10:22 PM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Guys,

I had my IS200t for 5 months now and had an invidia Q300 and BMS intake on it from 4 months....I started having this issue about a month ago but in my case it is affecting performance
Old 11-03-16, 01:05 AM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

would this issue caused by not letting the engine cool down after a long drive? the carbon and oil didn't run through the engine completely that's why it left sticking. i always warm up my car before i drive and idle my car at least 2 mins before shutting my engine off. all turbo charged engine needs to do this. my 200t is at 15k miles now and still no issues. car is fully stock though.
Old 11-03-16, 03:36 AM
Nuke
Lead Lap

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by UngBuck
would this issue caused by not letting the engine cool down after a long drive? the carbon and oil didn't run through the engine completely that's why it left sticking. i always warm up my car before i drive and idle my car at least 2 mins before shutting my engine off. all turbo charged engine needs to do this. my 200t is at 15k miles now and still no issues. car is fully stock though.
Don't you think with technological advancement and the new breed of turbos this problem is mitigated? also define a long drive? also don't you think in the R&D phase this would have been obvious to Lexus and they would have advised it in the manual?
Old 11-03-16, 08:32 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nuke
Don't you think with technological advancement and the new breed of turbos this problem is mitigated? also define a long drive? also don't you think in the R&D phase this would have been obvious to Lexus and they would have advised it in the manual?
on the manual, it mentioned to idle your car to let the engine/oil cool down. it is recommended to idle for at least 36secs after normal city drive, and 2mins after highway drive. guess you didn't read the manual. i drive aggressively after getting off work because i can't wait to go home. i noticed that oil temp go up to 210F if i do alot of full throttle. that's why i need the oil and the engine to cool down. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. i got time to spare.
Old 11-03-16, 09:24 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nuke
Hey Guys,

I had my IS200t for 5 months now and had an invidia Q300 and BMS intake on it from 4 months....I started having this issue about a month ago but in my case it is affecting performance
Why havent you taken it to the dealer? it's a stupid $100 part that needs replacing. get it replaced under warranty

Originally Posted by UngBuck
the issue is caused by a dinky $100 part. go to the dealer and get it replaced. and no you can drive this car however you want anywhere in the world. you arent cooking the turbo by simply commuting. the recommended procedure in the owners manual is just for long-term. the car is too new for you to ruin it. unless your driveway is directly at the end of a freeway off ramp, there's no way you can torture the turbo. driving around your neighborhood, waiting at lights, stop signs etc gives the engine plenty of time to circulate its fluids to cool stuff. you're fine.
Old 11-03-16, 10:08 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

that's true. i see the oil temp dropped a little after cruising for a while. btw, is it normal for the oil pressure to jump tiny bit while idling?

Quick Reply: IS200t turbo issues