IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Consumer Report Presenter Hates the IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 12:53 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
i would appreciate hearing honest elaboration limited to the is350 f-sport's "fun to drive" quotient relative to other cars in its segment from owners -- is it a blast to drive? does it get boring or leave a little to be desired after a few months or years of ownership? is it generally good as a driver's car but does not excel in any one category? not interested in hearing about the car's reliability, that is obviously not a concern with this brand. thanks to any for sharing their useful experiences.
Ive had my is350 f sport for 1.5 years now. It leaves a little to be desired as far as low end acceleration goes, but not much. At interstate speeds, it'll get you into trouble. Not like a Porsche would, but the quiet stability at 85mph, you won't notice until you zip passed a trooper.

Its a blast to rev it up and then blow passed people in safe areas (no cops or risky road) and see you popped 100mph.

-Matt
Old 08-27-16, 01:39 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Meh ...

Originally Posted by mirai
CR has some great info in terms of quantifiable information (reliability numbers, customer satisfaction surveys, cost to own, etc) and that's where their biggest value is as a research resource.

Their opinion commentary on the other hand....eh. That's where you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt. At that point, what they say is just as valid as any other automotive outlet, so if a bunch of them say that the ride is great, handling is precise, and the room is adequate then you could draw your conclusions from there.
Agree somewhat, and taking the CR review with a grain of salt and a dash of pepper but they totally trashed it. Regarding customer satisfaction surveys, has anyone here actually been contacted by CR or do they pull results from other resources? I was contacted by JD Power to participate and did. I'm just not a fan of Tom Mutchler as he appears to be a whiner.
Old 08-27-16, 09:37 PM
mirai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISTORO
Agree somewhat, and taking the CR review with a grain of salt and a dash of pepper but they totally trashed it. Regarding customer satisfaction surveys, has anyone here actually been contacted by CR or do they pull results from other resources? I was contacted by JD Power to participate and did. I'm just not a fan of Tom Mutchler as he appears to be a whiner.
Hope I don't get in trouble for showing this or anything, but here's the subscriber page on the criteria of customer satisfaction:

Old 08-28-16, 06:19 PM
syntxerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISTORO
I'm just not a fan of Tom Mutchler as he appears to be a whiner.
Absolutely. I also find it pretty ridiculous that he complains about the interior space, yet gave the Mazda Miata such a great review... I've driven one of the new ones and I love the little go-kart feeling but it's TINY inside.