IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

981 Boxster S vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 11:15 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

My $0.02: You can expect pretty much any sports car to be rougher than the IS, so don’t let that deter you, unless you don’t want that, in which case, you probably shouldn’t be shopping for a sports car… Sure the 3IS is marketed as a sporty luxury sedan but in actuality it’s a pretty soft ride. Let’s face it, most Lexus buyers are the affluent middle class that just want leather, a quiet cabin and a smooth ride. The IS is no ride-on-clouds Avalon, but it’s still far from anything Porsche offers in terms of sports tuning and pedigree.

You can expect the Boxster to be sportier in every way: firmness on the road, steering feel, handling, acceleration. It’s just around a full second quicker 0-60 than the IS350.
More than likely, you will notice the weight the most, since it’s a full 1,000 lbs lighter….along with the sportier suspension, your IS will feel like a boat in comparison.

In reference to the comment that it’s “no 911”….the Boxster and Cayman mid-engine chassis handles better than a 911 since the engine is in the correct spot instead of the rear. I’m pretty sure you’ll fall in love with the car upon first drive, so if you’re not in the market to buy soon, might want to hold off on driving it otherwise you’ll want it sooner haha
Old 08-25-16, 11:42 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EJ255t
bumpy as hell
rough ride
I like Jay Leno's joke-comment after he drove 911 - if you drive over a coin you can tell if you drove over heads or tails.
Old 08-25-16, 11:45 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
My $0.02: You can expect pretty much any sports car to be rougher than the IS, so don’t let that deter you, unless you don’t want that, in which case, you probably shouldn’t be shopping for a sports car… Sure the 3IS is marketed as a sporty luxury sedan but in actuality it’s a pretty soft ride....
but it’s still far from anything Porsche offers in terms of sports tuning and pedigree.
You can expect the Boxster to be sportier in every way: firmness on the road, steering feel, handling, acceleration. It’s just around a full second quicker 0-60 than the IS350.
More than likely, you will notice the weight the most, since it’s a full 1,000 lbs lighter….along with the sportier suspension, your IS will feel like a boat in comparison.
In reference to the comment that it’s “no 911”….the Boxster and Cayman mid-engine chassis handles better than a 911 since the engine is in the correct spot instead of the rear. I’m pretty sure you’ll fall in love with the car upon first drive, so if you’re not in the market to buy soon, might want to hold off on driving it otherwise you’ll want it sooner haha
I agree with most of these statements. Boxster is a mid engine sports car. The balance is excellent. PDK transmissions are the pinnacle of those paddle shifter - auto transmissions. They shift faster than a Pro Racer would in a 6 speed manual. The IS transmission is like a slush box if you use the paddle shifting. Boxster definitely lighter than the IS - front engine, luxury sedan cruiser. I would assume it will outperform an IS350 in every way on the track (stock vs stock). Boxster definitely will be a rougher ride, it's more sports car less Luxury. Lexus' cars usually feel like your riding on a cloud.

PS I have never driven a Boxter, but I have driven a 2015 IS300 (my sister's) and I have a 09 997.2 911S.

911's are historically known for having understeer, but that is one of normal attributes which you learn how to handle. Handling isn't as good as a mid-engine Boxster or Cayman, but it is still excellent. 911's are a classic sports car and will never go out of style (even though the new 991.1 and 991.2 are too long in wheelbase and feel more like GT cruisers than that go kart feeling, smaller sports car.

Also many Porsche purists hate the fact Porsche is going with twin turbo engines, even on base models, especially on the 911. It used to be only the Turbo, Turbo S, GT2 and GT2RS 911's which had turbo. NA engines have a more predictable power band and have no turbo lag. They will always be more powerful than the Caymans and Boxters, since it is the Flagship model of Porsche (unless you consider unobtainable low production models like: 918, gt3, gt3rs, gt2, gt2rs, etc to be the flagship models of Porsche).

But the Boxster and Caymans are wonderful well balanced cars to drive. Most go kart feeling out of the Porsches. Ok I'll chill with the rant now lol.

OP you should definitely test drive the Boxster/Cayman when you are closer to actually purchasing. CPO warrantied 981 wouldn't be bad to go with to avoid most of the depreciation and to get a higher optioned car. If money isn't an issue test drive a new 718. Just remember options on a new Porsche are at a premium.

PSS join the Rennlist forum if you really want to learn from Porsche enthusiasts.

@Olasek. I didn't see the video, but I believe Jay Leno would be talking about how connected the car is to the road. How sports cars are supposed to feel. Man connected to Machine as if one...raw, visceral feeling. I loved my GS 300 Lexus for riding like I was on a cloud and somewhat disconnected from the driving experience, it was great for cruising. But my 911 isn't bad for road trips either (besides the terrible front trunk space). Took a 6 hour road trip last year and I was not hurting or sore from the ride at all, neither was my passenger.

Last edited by Lex Luga; 08-25-16 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 07:14 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. It really does help! I will keep my is350 long term for my wife, but definitely will go for a Boxster s sometime in the next two years. Once I have my is350 paid off, I'll trade in my Chevy Cruze and then get the Porsche.

I really like how comfortable the is350 is, but have wanted a Porsche since I was a kid. Recent promotions at work have put me in range of affording one, in my opinion anyways.

Just need to pay off is350, polish credit, and find a good cpo.

Also, NA for me. Don't like how the 718 sounds at all. Don't care that it's faster and more efficient, I want that growl!

Old 08-25-16, 08:25 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

i agree, 6 cyl is the way to go...
Old 08-25-16, 10:07 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Also, NA for me. Don't like how the 718 sounds at all. Don't care that it's faster and more efficient, I want that growl!
Originally Posted by CLUM
i agree, 6 cyl is the way to go...
+1 NA is the way. PSE or aftermarket exhaust + sharkwerks cross pipe... Make these engines scream at mid to high rpm.
Old 08-26-16, 10:06 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
429, I don't want to thread jack (but sort of already have, as our "test drive" discussion is mostly off topic as to OP's inquiry) so respectfully, this will be my last post on the test drive aspect of OP's post, but I've gone to dealers and told them I have no intention of buying a car at that time but was curious about how a particular model drove and felt and they were happy to go on a test drive. My experience has been good sales people see any inquiry as an opportunity to earn your business, now or at some point in the future. I've not had to con a dealer into a test drive yet, even when not in the market.

To the OP, I'd recommend going on that test drive to see how the car you're interested in drives, even if the purchase is two years away. You never know, the test drive may change that timeline!
Its a relevant off topic post :-)

I do need to test drive one, but have been worried about doing so as early as I am. I'd love to be upfront and still get the test drive.

I don't want my first drive to be at a dealer that is 300 miles away and knows it, like I did my is350. They weren't willing to negotiate a dime off if it when they knew I drove 300 miles for it. Fortunately, I loved it.

-Matt
Old 08-29-16, 03:18 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
How do you feel the Cayman s compares in "pull" to the is350? Cayman and Boxster are pretty much the same car from what I understand.

-Matt

its night and day difference!! becuase the powertrain is in the rear, the loss of power is minimal, so the power is there when you need it at no delay!!!