IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infiniti q50 sport Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 11:15 AM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obscene14
Jeez dude, your so consumed hating on audi you didn't even read my post correctly. I didn't compare the C450 to the A4. The C450 is a step up. How are you going to buy a C450 at $51k? They start at $51k. You mean you'd buy a mercedes and put zero options on it? come on dude. Get real. they cost $60k
Real world, that was my exact quote on an AMG C450 configured the way I want it prior to any negotiation.

The A4 has 252 hp but it also has 273 lb of torque, same as the 6 cyl IS350. It's faster than the IS in stock form and APR just released a stage 1 tune that bumps the HP and TQ to 310/375. That puts the 0-60 in the high 4's. Leather is standard, Rain sensing wipers are standard, Back up camera is standard. Every **** and piece of plastic in the car is quality. My car is coming with 19" wheels from the factory (suspension is lowered 23mm when you order the 19" wheel package). I get all this with upgraded fully adjustable leather sport seals plus a dual clutch transmission and all wheel drive for the same price as a rear wheel drive IS350. I might not beat a 340 or a Q50 but I'm sure you and your IS350 would be at the back of the pack. The IS is nice it just doesn't have the power the others have.
0-60 is just 1 measurement which is artificially influenced by AWD. As a road racer I look at all-around track potential where the IS350 Fsport will eat the FWD biased A4 for lunch. And see the history of the A4 2.0L for both oil consumption and carbon build up.

About your smartphone.being as nice as the Audi nav system. Google Audi virtual cockpit to see how wrong you are.
Will both get me to my destination? Yes Which is easier to input destinations? Smartphone How much of the Nav system will be inoperable while moving? ? Is it easily up-gradable during the life of the car? Maybe? Can you take the Audi system with you to another car? No Do you have to learn a whole new set of commands or just use your familiar smartphone? New Set Which part of Android auto nav do you NOT think will be ported to your phone as well? None

You seem to be basing your version of "superior" based on single car integration and packaging which is fine, you value these items more than the driving characteristics of the car, the quality of build and perhaps most importantly the credibility of the company.

Last edited by sdiver68; 08-14-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-14-16, 11:17 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

The 340 powerplant is insane. With a tune, the car can compete with an ISF. lol.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-14-16, 11:25 AM
sdiver68
Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
The 340 powerplant is insane. With a tune, the car can compete with an ISF. lol.

-Josh
Agreed, I used to embarrass M3's with my tuned 335i at the track. Everyone @ BMWCCA track days wanting to know what was done to it and I just honestly replied wheels and tune. Unfortunately that performance comes with significant out of warranty risk.
Old 08-14-16, 11:32 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Agreed, I used to embarrass M3's with my tuned 335i at the track. Everyone @ BMWCCA track days wanting to know what was done to it and I just honestly replied wheels and tune. Unfortunately that performance comes with significant out of warranty risk.
Thats why you remove the tune and make sure you know a good SA/tech at the dealership!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-14-16, 12:39 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Thats why you remove the tune and make sure you know a good SA/tech at the dealership!

-Josh
Talking more about the projected $18k 10 yr maintenance cost than actual warranty issues with mods. Great cars to lease for sure!
Old 08-14-16, 01:46 PM
liudizzle
Driver School Candidate

Too bad BMW's 3 series styling is so uninspiring and they're as common on the road as honda civics and priuses.
Old 08-14-16, 02:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It's not the styling that they dropped. F30 chassis is even more uninspiring than its looks and commonality. The IS350 really did their chassis right at the expense of its powertrain.
Old 08-15-16, 06:34 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not the styling that they dropped. F30 chassis is even more uninspiring than its looks and commonality. The IS350 really did their chassis right at the expense of its powertrain.
This ^. Recently I've driven a bunch of the new IS competitors. The 340i steering was extremely numb and the interior quality/sound system wasn't as good as the IS350 F-Sport. Surprisingly, the closest car I've driven in terms of feel to the IS350 F-Sport (out of the 340i, Q50 Red Sport 400, XE, M235i, S4) was the M235i. The other cars felt much more disconnected and less "raw" than the M235i and IS350.
Old 08-16-16, 01:46 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! I'm surprised that you felt that way! My father leased a '08 G37 coupe 6MT and that thing was super fast! I guess the new Q50 isn't as exciting as the G35 or G37!
Old 08-16-16, 02:10 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi90
Wow! I'm surprised that you felt that way! My father leased a '08 G37 coupe 6MT and that thing was super fast! I guess the new Q50 isn't as exciting as the G35 or G37!
The old G lost a lot of its personality and character when it first was rebadged as the Q50/Q60. The new Q50 seems to be even less exciting as it struggles to find it's niche.
Old 08-16-16, 02:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For those who are interested in the read, Car and Driver just posted their review of the Red Sport 400.

The 400-hp engine is plenty strong, getting the Q50S to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, quicker than a BMW 340i and a Cadillac CTS Vsport and matching the last Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG Sport (now replaced by the C43) we tested. This VR engine is loosely related to the old 3.7-liter VQ, which justly earned a reputation for harshness across its rev range. The new VR still lacks smoothness, but only near its 7000-rpm redline. At low rpm, the engine does an excellent impression of a velvety inline-six, and turbo lag is virtually nonexistent. With an EPA combined fuel-economy rating of 22 mpg, which also happens to be what we averaged, the 400 beats the old VQ’s mark of 21 by just 1 mpg.
Our curiosity with Infiniti’s Direct Adaptive Steer (DAS), what the carmaker calls its steer-by-wire system, continues into the second-generation version found here. It adds $1000 to the Red Sport 400’s $48,855 base price. Under normal circumstances, there is no physical connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack. It made “disconnected steering” a literal term when it launched in 2014. About 15 percent of Q50 buyers opt for DAS, and Infiniti says most actually like it.

Steer-by-wire gives Infiniti engineers a blank sheet when it comes to tuning. From the center-stack menu, one can set steering ratio and effort to one of three modes (stand*ard, sport, or sport-plus). While in sport or sport-plus, one can also alter the steering response, or how the steering reacts just off-center, using one of three sub-modes (default, dynamic, or dynamic-plus), giving the driver seven discrete steering-behavior choices.

And though the big menu means there’s probably something for most behind the Q50’s wheel, we found perfection elusive. Standard mode is numb, the electronics *filtering out all the wheel kickback you’d expect from, say, a pothole. We found sport-plus with the response set to default to do the best impression of a conventional—albeit heavily weighted—electrically assisted steering system. Feedback to the driver remains limited, but there is a smooth transition from on-center to turning, unlike in dynamic or dynamic-plus (which makes the steering darty). And in all modes there is still a disconnect between lateral loading and steering effort, particularly at the limit. Where a normal car’s steering goes light, this tiller’s resistance holds firm.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...00-test-review
Old 08-16-16, 03:55 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I personally think the A4 and 340i are both unimpressive, cheap feeling, and poorly made. My sister bought a 2014 A4 new and that thing has problems left and right...constantly at the dealer getting repairs. This is after her BMW 335i which kept having issues with the engine to the point where she was able to get a full reimbursement for the car for having the same issues over and over. I am a firm believer in Japanese cars because of the R&D they put into them. Yes Lexus plays it safe, they may not have the best styling or the fastest motors, but they sure do have the best quality and reliability which puts more time in your life, and more money in your pocket at the end of the day. Just wait a few more years until Lexus start pushing out their new motors. In 2019 they're gonna release the new twin turbo V6 non "F" motor with more than 400+hp and 330+tq that should be in line for the IS, GS, and RC.

Last edited by mjn88; 08-16-16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 04:41 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Ill be in line for the Next IS if thats the case. I will definitely disagree with you about the 340i. The quality of material and feel did not feel cheap. A4 I can see the issues would that would be left and right with the virtual cockpit.

Originally Posted by mjn88
I personally think the A4 and 340i are both unimpressive, cheap feeling, and poorly made. My sister bought a 2014 A4 new and that thing has problems left and right...constantly at the dealer getting repairs. This is after her BMW 335i which kept having issues with the engine to the point where she was able to get a full reimbursement for the car for having the same issues over and over. I am a firm believer in Japanese cars because of the R&D they put into them. Yes Lexus plays it safe, they may not have the best styling or the fastest motors, but they sure do have the best quality and reliability which puts more time in your life, and more money in your pocket at the end of the day. Just wait a few more years until Lexus start pushing out their new motors. In 2019 they're gonna release the new twin turbo V6 non "F" motor with more than 400+hp and 330+tq that should be in line for the IS, GS, and RC.
Old 08-16-16, 04:43 PM
2015isboy
Driver

This is true

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
The old G lost a lot of its personality and character when it first was rebadged as the Q50/Q60. The new Q50 seems to be even less exciting as it struggles to find it's niche.

Last edited by 2015isboy; 08-16-16 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 07:55 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Check the info out for the new motor as well as the next gen GS here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-2018-gs.html

Quick Reply: Infiniti q50 sport Test Drive