IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Drive w/o key!!! How much are keys???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 08:27 PM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive w/o key!!! How much are keys???

I just made an epic mistake! After starting the car to leave, I realized I needed to grab a last minute item from the house and heard my "key alert" signal as I was heading inside. Due to running late, I quickly placed my keys on the roof of the car (to stop the dinging) and came out seconds later and took off. Upon arriving at my destination 20 minutes later, I got out to lock the car and noticed my keys were MIA. To save you all time and unnecessary details...I lost my keys along my route. After my wife dropped off my spare keys, I back traced my route with no keys in site...

1st- How in hell does our vehicle drive without the key detected?
2nd- If the car can drive without the key...why didn't a "key alert" sound during my drive?
3rd- How much is a replacement key (2016 IS350-F)?

Thanks in advance.
Derek

Last edited by KYIS350F; 08-03-16 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 09:16 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car won't start unless the key is inside the cabin (Error message: Key not found) , it's probably in the cabin somewhere. I've done this a few times and thought the same, it's always either under my seat or in the space between the console and my seat. The best test is to go into your car without your keys, if it still starts, your lost key is in the cabin.
Old 08-02-16, 09:26 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Your car won't start unless the key is inside the cabin (Error message: Key not found) , it's probably in the cabin somewhere. I've done this a few times and thought the same, it's always either under my seat or in the space between the console and my seat. The best test is to go into your car without your keys, if it still starts, your lost key is in the cabin.
OP said that he put the key on the roof and took off. He used the spare key on the return trip. To OP, I do not know how much would it cost to make another key but you shouldn't get used key, dealer won't reprogram a used key.
Old 08-02-16, 10:03 PM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

As mentioned, I started the vehicle before realizing I needed to grab an item from the house. As I exited the car, the key detection alert started sounding so I placed the keys on the roof of my car and never grabbed them before leaving my garage. Unfortunately I already tested this theory and once I turned the car off at my destination, my key wasn't found. I've checked my surroundings and back traced my route but nothing turned up. Hoping to still get some answers to my questions above.
Old 08-02-16, 10:12 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really unfortunate that you left your key on your roof and drove off. It's one of my nightmares that I leave keys, phone, or the worst thing imaginable, my wallet on the roof and just drive off.

The even more bad news, my dealership quoted me $333 for a new key fob cause I wanted a spare. My car only came with one but when I found out the price I said F that and just cherish my one key fob. Lmao
Old 08-03-16, 01:14 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One time I stopped my car and I went little far from the car and when I came back the car was off. However if you are driving the car shouldn't stop for safety reasons.
Old 08-03-16, 03:57 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I just saw a replacement online for $229, of course, then you'd have to get it programmed and the key cut. Or, until you are willing to drop the cash for the remote and key, you could alway order a blank key and get it cut, then keep that in your wallet just in case something happened.
Old 08-03-16, 08:35 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by leo877
OP said that he put the key on the roof and took off. He used the spare key on the return trip. To OP, I do not know how much would it cost to make another key but you shouldn't get used key, dealer won't reprogram a used key.
Originally Posted by KYIS350F
As mentioned, I started the vehicle before realizing I needed to grab an item from the house. As I exited the car, the key detection alert started sounding so I placed the keys on the roof of my car and never grabbed them before leaving my garage. Unfortunately I already tested this theory and once I turned the car off at my destination, my key wasn't found. I've checked my surroundings and back traced my route but nothing turned up. Hoping to still get some answers to my questions above.
Did you actually try this yourself or justed assumed the OP was correct? I recreated it and two things happened when I put the key on the roof (yes there's a video too - the link is below)

1) The door wouldn't open
2) The car wouldn't start - Error Message: Key not detected

Old 08-03-16, 08:41 AM
BluPhirePB
Rookie

If the car kept going, did you have that card key in your wallet?
Old 08-03-16, 08:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The key has to be in the car to start it, but not to continue.

So in this case, the OP had the key in the car, started it, then took the key out with the engine still running, placed the key on the roof, and drove off, losing the key along the way.

The car will not shut off in this scenario by design. If you're driving along and the key battery dies, you would want the car to keep driving, rather than stall on the highway, an intersection, etc.
Old 08-03-16, 08:49 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Did you actually try this yourself or justed assumed the OP was correct? I recreated it and two things happened when I put the key on the roof (yes there's a video too - the link is below)

1) The door wouldn't open
2) The car wouldn't start - Error Message: Key not detected

Lexus IS Key Test - YouTube
Thanks for the simulation as I greatly appreciate your assistance in figuring this out...

Hate to beat a dead horse but here's how it played out:
- (Keys in pants pocket), Unlocked car, opened door, sat down, started car
- (Keys in pants pocket), realized I left an item in the house and exited the vehicle
- (Keys in pants pocket), 2ft outside the car, I hear the "key alert" so I removed my keys from pants and sat them on the roof (while car was running)
- (Keys on roof), reentered the vehicle and drove off
- (Keys MIA), arrived at destination and couldn't lock (via door handle) or start car

I've since spoke to Lexus and they've educated me that it's a safety measure to not disable the car if the keys go undetected. You can drive 5 or 5,000 miles with no keys, the vehicle simply won't have any "power" functions once the vehicle is turned off. They claim there was an alert on my dash but I never noticed it during my 20 minute drive. Key cost $350 from Lexus (key and programming included). BE CAREFUL ALL, DON'T DO AS I DID AND LEAVE YOUR RUNNING CAR WITHOUT KEYS IN SIGHT.

Last edited by KYIS350F; 08-03-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 09:10 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure why you would leave the key on the roof... the key not detected sound would not have bothered me at all if I had to run into the house to get something (plus I wouldnt want to scratch the roof). I would've just turned off the car.

Also, unless you were driving inanely slow for the first mile of your trip, the key should've fallen off almost immediately when driving on any street.
Old 08-03-16, 09:16 AM
KYIS350F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Not sure why you would leave the key on the roof... the key not detected sound would not have bothered me at all if I had to run into the house to get something (plus I wouldnt want to scratch the roof). I would've just turned off the car.
You're obviously a smarter person than me. It's 100% user error, I own it.
Old 08-03-16, 09:21 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Thanks for the simulation as I greatly appreciate your assistance in figuring this out...

- (Keys in pants pocket), realized I left an item in the house and exited the vehicle
- (Keys in pants pocket), 2ft outside the car, I hear the "key alert" so I removed my keys from pants and sat them on the roof (while car was running)
- (Keys MIA), arrived at destination and couldn't lock (via door handle) or start car

I've since spoke to Lexus and they've educated me that it's a safety measure to not disable the car if the keys go undetected. You can drive 5 or 5,000 miles with no keys, the vehicle simply won't have any "power" functions once the vehicle is turned off. They claim there was an alert on my dash but I never noticed it during my 20 minute drive. Key cost $350 from Lexus (key and programming included). BE CAREFUL ALL, DON'T DO AS I DID AND LEAVE YOUR RUNNING CAR WITHOUT KEYS IN SIGHT.
Sorry for the confusion, I got the same result once I started the car (good to know btw). If you're not in a rush to buy replacement keys, I bought my card key online for $244.67 (Card: $210.46, Key: $34.21) plus $40 for programming (plus 7% tax at a local dealer) for a total of $284.47. Stevinson Lexus of Frederick is where I bought the card key, the programming is where the get you because range was from $40 to $120 just to give you an idea. At least with the card key, you can stick it in your wallet as opposed to being more inclined to take regular transmitter out of your pockets. Good luck dude.

Last edited by theoryguy; 08-03-16 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 09:40 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can I ask a dumb question? WHY would you put you keys on top of the car to turn off the key alert ding? It only dings 2 or 3 times and then stops ... I've done it 100 times. I don't understand leaving your keys behind, let a lone on the roof. I don't mean to continue to beat you up but I just boggles my mind why you would the keys on the roof ...

Quick Reply: Drive w/o key!!! How much are keys???