IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

sway bar end links, one time use? What was Lexus thinking? Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 10:05 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sway bar end links, one time use? What was Lexus thinking? Help me!

I am doing my coil over install. Everything is going fine, except for the sway bar end links. The allen head opening is literally pointless in the Northeast as on winter renders that idea useless.

So far I have gotten the front done, I need a new passenger side end link for sure. The driver side I could not get torqued down but its pretty tight. The rear is hopeless. Both sides, top and bottom are totally stripped and about halfway out. The only option I see is to cut them off and order new ones. Does anyone have any tricks to get these off? Will it be cool to ride around with no rear sway bar until I get the new ones in?

I normally praise Toyota engineering but this design is a joke. Why not make a bolt or at least square fitting on the other side so we can get a wrench on it?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-16, 07:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

wait why did you have to take the endlinks off the rear? I dont recall having to remove them installing the rear suspension.
the front is normally have to be loosen to get some wiggle room.

Air impact tools?
Old 08-05-16, 07:13 PM
Reeladdict
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower rear control arm would not drop low enough to get the spring out without unbolting the links.

I ended up having to cut them off and I have new ones to put on. Kinda sucks but it was really my only option. When I put the new ones on I am definitely going to take measures so they will not get seized again.

AND if anyone else is in this situation I was fine riding around with the rear sway bar disconnected. You will have to disconnect it from both sides, flip it up and secure it so it does not swing down and contact the rear axles. Sounds sketchy but it really isn't, I have put close to 200 miles on it while I am waiting for my links to arrive and have not had any issues.
Old 08-06-16, 08:20 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Yeah the studs on the links are notorious for rusting on every single car ever made. Not just Lexus. I was lucky when I did mine that mine hasn't seen a winter yet. When you install your new ones just use some antisieze on the threads. That will keep the rust away mostly and allow for easier disassembly if ever needed. I antisiezed all the bolts involved in lowering the car to make my life easier.