IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

[URGENT] It's so satisfying to catch the person who dinged your car (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 07:08 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [URGENT] It's so satisfying to catch the person who dinged your car (with pictures)

My car paint has been perfect for 2 years, not even a dent or a ding, until yesterday.
I walked back to my car to find this red absolutely hideous Camry next to me. As I opened the my door I realized there was a very small ding, with red paint on it, at the perfect spot where his door would it. Because it was my first ding and I thought "hey I caught the guy" I called the police, which took some time to arrive. In the meantime the owner of the car and his family (and extended) arrived, all in all 15 people (hahaha). I confronted him and he denied, saying he wasn't responsible, but for some reason he didn't want to open his rear driver door to see if its position matched my ding! However he did open his front passenger door and said "hey it doesn't even touch your car", to which I answered "are you kidding me?". After the cops arrived they asked him to open the door and I got a clear picture.

As we were talking his daughter came to my front left fender and started rubbing the paint with her nails (LOL). My wife was right behind her and gave her a push away, and told me immediately... I started yelling at them "why the hell do you do that? Wasn't one ding enough?" Everybody had their mouths shut at that point and didn't know what to answer. But as they say, that'll buff out.

TLDR : Now I kind of regret doing all this for a tiny ding and I'm having second thoughts about claiming it to my insurance or not. It's just that the faulty car and person were obviously there and I wanted to protect myself, thinking I could repair it for free. I also think I got emotional because the car was flawless before that, but these things happen and I'm not so mad about it. Going back in time, I think I should just have let it go and repaired it myself. I'm sure it can be done without the hassle of going through insurance, etc. On the other hand I filed a report so something's going into my carfax

Opinions, thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-31-16 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-31-16, 07:50 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A door ding doesn't mess with your carfax.
Old 07-31-16, 07:52 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I understand the visceral reaction. I am astounded to this day through multiple new cars that old or very big SUVs, Pickups, and cars seem to go out of their way to park next to my car -- real close. And I always park far away leaving multiple parking spots closer to the store. I can only figure it's some kind of herd instinct or an attraction to shiny objects.
Old 07-31-16, 07:54 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid101
A door ding doesn't mess with your carfax.
I'm thinking the police report itself will be in my carfax. Isn't this reported as an accident?
Old 07-31-16, 09:19 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I'm thinking the police report itself will be in my carfax. Isn't this reported as an accident?
CarFax is junk. Your door ding will not show up on it. I was shopping for used 1GS cars in 2002 and looked at one where the guy told me "no accidents" and the CarFax was clean. The car had a new radiator and core support, plus two new headlights when I went and looked at it. Turns out it was in an accident and had $7500 of repair work done that was not on CarFax. Your ding will not be on CarFax. To give a more current example, my folks had a 2014 Honda Accord that some idiot drove in to and caused $10K in damage. That car's CarFax is clean.
Old 07-31-16, 09:28 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
CarFax is junk.
I agree, at the very least it isn't 100% reliable, probably nowhere near 100%.
Old 07-31-16, 10:52 AM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

I totally feel your pain. I parked so far away once last year and this old mini van had the audacity to park right beside me when there is so many parking spots closer to the building available. I received two mini dents from the minivan which really bugged the heck out of me since the car was only few months old. Luckily, I found a PDR guy off Craigslists and he got rid of the mini dents for $50-75. If you're paint is chipped, you can touch that up to make it less obvious. If there is minor dents that you can see, I definitely recommend Paintless Dent Repair.
Old 07-31-16, 02:26 PM
xsdeus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These horror stories make me not want to take my car outside
Old 07-31-16, 03:28 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Carfax is useless and not accurate. I remember when I could only afford older cars and the scam artist use car salesmen insisted that I must pay for the Carfax. I would walk away every time and like clockword every time that used car crook would claim the manager decided to toss in that useless piece of paper for free. I never went back.

Love how you caught the dinger people should respect other peoples property. If you didn't buy it don't treat it like your trash.
Old 07-31-16, 04:51 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-31-16, 05:09 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched someone back into one of my cars parked a few months ago while I was standing across the street. Without hesitation the asswipe heard and felt the impact then put it in drive and drove off in hurry.

You're lucky you caught the ***** but I wouldn't have reported to the insurance company. I hope you got his insurance company to pay for the repair.
Old 07-31-16, 07:01 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I'd be pissed too if I had that sexy USB color on my IS. Lol but I'd be pissed if I caught someone doing that to my car regardless. I think I would've lost it especially after the fact there was another person to walk up and try to sneakily scratch the car up with their nails. The cop would've have to stop me from hitting them...
Old 07-31-16, 08:27 PM
flexspace
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A similar thing happened to me over a decade ago at a Christian Book Store. My dad and I were sitting inside and we heard this loud thud and immediately went outside to see the ding and paint transfer. My dad went out to confront the guy and he was like "Naw, we didn't do it," when we LITERALLY saw it firsthand. He then proceeded to walk into the store and ignore us.

Some people are just pieces of ****.

I'm glad someone's being held responsible for once.

On a separate note, I always park far away every place I go.

Old 07-31-16, 10:14 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flexspace
A similar thing happened to me over a decade ago at a Christian Book Store. My dad and I were sitting inside and we heard this loud thud and immediately went outside to see the ding and paint transfer. My dad went out to confront the guy and he was like "Naw, we didn't do it," when we LITERALLY saw it firsthand. He then proceeded to walk into the store and ignore us.

Some people are just pieces of ****.

I'm glad someone's being held responsible for once.

On a separate note, I always park far away every place I go.
Probably buying the book for someone else! haha
Old 07-31-16, 10:57 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

the girl scratching it with her nails pisses me off more than the door ding... disrespectful B**** did the police not do anything about this damage she did right in front of them!!?!?!

Quick Reply: [URGENT] It's so satisfying to catch the person who dinged your car (with pictures)