IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 04:48 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, why no love for that new Jag that looks to cost about the same as an IS?
Old 07-08-16, 05:14 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously with the Audi enablers? All those scandals put together don't add up to 1/5th of the Audi scandal. Comparing any of them individually to Audi is like comparing the hill in your backyard to Mt Everest.

And yes, reliability absolutely should be questioned when suddenly 20% of your vehicles sold are illegal on the road. Not to mention are only on the road due to unprecedented, massive and intentional consumer fraud. A bit different from not correcting a questionable defect in a timely manner.

Also, the unintended acceleration thing are you old enough to remember it was Audi who first had this issue and it nearly drove them from the US in the 80's? Apparently, no one could figure out then or now that brakes are far more powerful than the engine. Not to excuse any company for too slow reactions...but for Toyota it was a shocking outlier. For Audi it's repeated fraud and unreliable products throughout their history that makes any recent uptick in short term (3 yr) reliability ratings the outlier.

Anything but Audi. Check out the M-B C-Class, the Jag XE, the BMW 3, the Lexus IS

Last edited by sdiver68; 07-08-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 06:57 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd say the 200t is even better than the A4. More so the 300/350.
Old 07-08-16, 07:09 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

^^has anyone used the apexi throttle controller on their IS/RC/GS/NX model to help with turbo lag & the 1 second delay when you floor the car?
Old 07-09-16, 04:22 AM
pizzafan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Yeah, why no love for that new Jag that looks to cost about the same as an IS?
I really want to like the Jag XE as I own their stock (ticker ttm).

But the $4x,xxx XE for some reason underwhelms me on the inside. The higher end XE looks better on the inside, but then it goes north of $50,000.

Same with Land Rover -- their new lower-end Discovery underwhelmed me interior quality wise compared to NX. But their Range Rovers are really nice.

Also not sure if they are discounting those cars much, and what long term reliability is like.
Old 07-09-16, 07:56 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

^^^the premium and prestige XE's look cheap imo, the only way to go is R-Sport
Old 07-09-16, 08:11 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long term reliability on modern Jaguars is excellent; my XFs have been fantastic and I am shopping for the right XJ Supercharged.

The XE base interior is a bit bland.. but oh man... that suspension....
Old 12-31-16, 12:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLESTONES
Best friend is an Audi tech, said ECUs are failing left and right in the new A4s.

Interesting gap between what your friend sees and what I see in the A4 owner forum. Not a single owner reported such a failure. Granted, there are a few A4s with transmission problems if this is what your friend meant...
Old 12-31-16, 01:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzafan
Anyone consider the Audi A4 before purchasing the IS300/350?

Any pluses/minuses?

I like the driver's console on the A4 alot -- having a color display that shows the map right in front of you is very useful.

I don't know enough else about the A4 to compare the two cars, other than the price point is similar
I had the IS, now an A4, and... I'm looking to go back to an IS again.

The A4 is a superb car and I did a comparison here, but in short, it falls short to me on the intangibles where it doesn't excite as the IS does from a styling, seating position, and feel of the drive. It all depends on what is important to you...

Good luck!
Old 12-31-16, 02:30 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
"The Lightning" 2.0 :O? I'm excited!
Old 12-31-16, 04:14 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I debated between the A4, CLA 45 AMG, and IS. I went with the IS for "prehistoric" Lexus reliability. It has came back to bite me in the *** hard. My IS is anything but reliable. So my advise is to get the car you enjoy the most. Knowing the brand is unreliable makes it easier to swallow when the car breaks down. On that note, I suggest you throw out any notion you may have that Audi are unreliable. Despite the diesel gate and all the bad reps, none of the people I know that have S4 and A4 have had any issues with their cars.
Old 12-31-16, 05:50 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
I debated between the A4, CLA 45 AMG, and IS. I went with the IS for "prehistoric" Lexus reliability. It has came back to bite me in the *** hard. My IS is anything but reliable. So my advise is to get the car you enjoy the most. Knowing the brand is unreliable makes it easier to swallow when the car breaks down. On that note, I suggest you throw out any notion you may have that Audi are unreliable. Despite the diesel gate and all the bad reps, none of the people I know that have S4 and A4 have had any issues with their cars.
I'm getting the notion that you had a bad experience with the Lexus IS.

Wanna share?
Old 12-31-16, 06:10 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

The A4 is a superb car and I did a comparison here, but in short, it falls short to me on the intangibles where it doesn't excite as the IS does from a styling, seating position, and feel of the drive. It all depends on what is important to you...

Good luck!
Agree 100% with CorradoMR2. I came back to the IS with a 2017 350F RWD a week ago after two new Germans, a VW GTI and a BMW. The styling, seating position, and that vault like feel is second to none. Reliability was an added bonus. If you really want a German, you'll have to go with the Turbo straight six BMW with the ZF transmission like on a 440i, that's the only thing in my mind they have over the IS, and that's if your an engine purist, which I wasn't, as everything else will be a sacrifice like the creaks and squeaks which will inevitably come with any German. I wanted a daily car that was perfect and stylish. Any other German, like a turbo 4 will be a let down. The new A4 looks didn't do it for me, the straight line dash, the clip on screen and exterior looks way domestic. You'll have to spruce it up to the hilt with 19inch wheels (giving a rough ride, not to mention their run flats) etc before it starts to look a bit nice. The IS is the only car that looks sexy on 18inch.
Old 12-31-16, 06:21 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathantse
I'm getting the notion that you had a bad experience with the Lexus IS.

Wanna share?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/842845-fuel-injectors-dead-350-awd.html

It could be just straight up rotten luck. But from the last few days of searching all the forums, all the issues have been experienced by others. I just so happen to have all of them. Search the rest of the Lexus lineup and you'll find a huge list of failed fuel injectors across all the models. Same with dead batteries. Very likely due to shared parts.
Old 12-31-16, 09:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TinoPing
Agree 100% with CorradoMR2. I came back to the IS with a 2017 350F RWD a week ago after two new Germans, a VW GTI and a BMW. The styling, seating position, and that vault like feel is second to none. Reliability was an added bonus. If you really want a German, you'll have to go with the Turbo straight six BMW with the ZF transmission like on a 440i, that's the only thing in my mind they have over the IS, and that's if your an engine purist, which I wasn't, as everything else will be a sacrifice like the creaks and squeaks which will inevitably come with any German. I wanted a daily car that was perfect and stylish. Any other German, like a turbo 4 will be a let down. The new A4 looks didn't do it for me, the straight line dash, the clip on screen and exterior looks way domestic. You'll have to spruce it up to the hilt with 19inch wheels (giving a rough ride, not to mention their run flats) etc before it starts to look a bit nice. The IS is the only car that looks sexy on 18inch.
BTW, the Sport Package on the A4 does come with 19" wheels and the ride is one of the smoothest I've experienced. Certainly better than my '13 GS F Sport. Also, Audi does not equip their cars with runflats. That is BMW. And yes, the A4 does look quite nice with 19" wheels. Now, what you and I consider stylish is strictly personal. I'll go with this. (Click for full view.)
Attached Thumbnails Audi A4-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 12-31-16 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi A4