IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Appreciation week

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 05:58 AM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appreciation week

I wanted to talk a bit about my IS ever since I got my 2014 is 350 F Sport. I'm going to keep it brief and short, I hope some of you guys feel the same way. I think I picked the best car for my needs.

Purchased late 2014, I was shopping for a car that met my requirements of reliability, comfortability, moderately quick, and an appealing design to me.

It has the reliability of the well proven carry over engine since gen 2. It's a Lexus, which is also a Toyota, and they make incredibly reliable cars, so far doing good.
On stock suspension this car is very comfortable, the seats are very comfortable, they just hold me in firmly. This car truly makes driving fun even if it's not blazing fast. The seating position and design really provides a race car like environment. Not only is it fun at high speeds on mountain roads with twisties, its even fun when rolling around the city, I really love my seating position. I own a miata and s2k as well, those are fun cars too, but paddles shifters are godsend. Not as fast as dual clutch, but faster than the fastest human. I use to like daily driving the miata, I love daily driving my IS.

I'm on RSR coilovers and it feels awesome. The car is really well balanced and it's horsepower is dialed perfectly for city or highway driving in my area, I live in Los Angeles.
I really wanted a faster car that was more race oriented, like Bmw M cars. But then I thought, I want to spend more time with this car on the road, than for it to sit in a repair shop. Especially after warranty.

Although This car performs well at the track, there are better options out there for one who truly wants a racing oriented type car.
Butttt....track cars are built, not bought, unless it's an M car. Lol. I think I'm secretly jealous sometimes though, when I see an m4. Haha.

We all know that there are a few things here and there we wished were fixed or should've been there. A few examples would be LSD, or a snappier infoitainment system, or other cooling capabilities not offered on this car. Every car has their flaws, but these are livable.

Here's the heart breaking moment.

One day I got into a minor accident, it was a slight fender bender, I was upset and disappointed. My car has a few mods, so some of you may understand the love for our cars. I thought it was the end, I thought I would neglect it afterwards and move onto another. In the end, it was a phase, the IS is an awesome car and I'm ashamed of thinking otherwise. This actually happened last year.

But you get the idea, the IS does everything I want and need good. Its reliable, comfortable, faster than most cars on the street if I need to have some fun, and competitively priced. It also does have quite a bit of room in the back compared to previous gens, and looks the sharpest. There are far more positives than negatives with the third generation IS. This was the best choice for me based off my needs and experiences with many other competing vehicles. I appreciate your time.. and wanted to take a step back to appreciating everything that ive workes flr. I'm going to enjoy riding and modding my IS even more now...

Last edited by Brokenis; 07-02-16 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 10:08 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I am happy to find a positive post about the IS just because I think negativity is a bit toxic. I came to my current car last Wednesday. There was a progression. I bought an AE86 Corolla GT-S in 1994. It's a 1985 that was built in November of 1984. My buddy Don told me the car would have some issues, but would never leave me stranded. That ended up being true. I like that car a lot and still have it. It's close to being fully restored.

I had a 1994 GS300. It was a workhorse. I modified it a lot, but didn't do anything to the engine. I sold it to a car collector in 2015. I had a 2014 IS250 F SPORT that I just turned in on Wednesday. I will miss the car a bit. It was good. I have had the 2016 IS350 F SPORT since Wednesday and I love it. It is comfortable, I love the color combo, and the 306 hp is nice and smooth. I had a lot of fun last night putting the car in to Sport + mode and romping on it.

My 2016 IS is familiar in a good way because I had the 2014. The tech stuff is familiar. The extra power is fun. Sport mode and Sport + are fun.