IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Black pearl mod to grill chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 12:34 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black pearl mod to grill chrome?

Has anyone been able to mod their chrome trip on the front grill to black pearl?

I think that would look awesome. Any thoughts?
Old 07-01-16, 02:19 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
Has anyone been able to mod their chrome trip on the front grill to black pearl?

I think that would look awesome. Any thoughts?
you can try plasti dip or vinyl
Old 07-01-16, 02:26 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

My bodyshop is going to plastidip when they fix the bumper on the 19th. However, I was just looking at it and thought, if I could do a black pearl coating to match the L, that would look amazing. And it would be different.
Old 07-02-16, 10:44 AM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

No one done this?

Is it even possible?
Old 07-03-16, 02:55 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No one done this?

Is it even possible?
I have yet to see someone do it, but yes it is possible; however, it would be easier to just plastidip/wrap it. I'm assuming it would need a sand, primer, paint, clear coat, and polish as opposed to a 1 step process. As for looks, to each his/her own.
Old 07-08-16, 07:38 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
I have yet to see someone do it, but yes it is possible; however, it would be easier to just plastidip/wrap it. I'm assuming it would need a sand, primer, paint, clear coat, and polish as opposed to a 1 step process. As for looks, to each his/her own.
Thanks for the reply. I keep looking at it and just think it would look amazing. I'm just going to have the shop plastidip since they know what they are doing. And it will already be off for the repair.
Old 07-08-16, 07:55 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as plastidipping it... You guys mean to take off the cover and go over it right? Since plastidip would usually just cover the entire thing? I just went with the light black tint and did it myself
Old 07-09-16, 06:49 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Phamkq
As far as plastidipping it... You guys mean to take off the cover and go over it right? Since plastidip would usually just cover the entire thing? I just went with the light black tint and did it myself
I'm confused. Can you please show a pic?
Old 07-09-16, 07:11 PM
kup125
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went to get a price to have mine vinyl wrapped(grill and window trim) Friday. There emailing the price first of the week. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-10-16, 12:40 AM
Phamkq
Driver

I'm confused. Can you please show a pic?
Plastidip like pretty much paint-like but peelable. So if you plastidip it more than 2 coats, it will be very dark and covers the entire emblem. One coat will leave a lot of spots. I think they have a. Smoked color plastidip but I have yet to try it
Old 07-10-16, 11:22 AM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Plastidip like pretty much paint-like but peelable. So if you plastidip it more than 2 coats, it will be very dark and covers the entire emblem. One coat will leave a lot of spots. I think they have a. Smoked color plastidip but I have yet to try it
Do you have any pics ???? Thank you
Old 07-10-16, 11:38 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Do you have any pics ???? Thank you
I do not unfortunately. Just go ahead and get a can of plastidip from Walmart ($6) and test it out. One coat will keep it very light and leave spray marks like little circles (even if you warm up the can and shake well). Also, keep note that one coat will be harder to take off (so have hydrogen peroxide, lacquer thinner or paint thinner ready). The heavier the coat, the easier it is to peel BUT It will blur out everything.

I would just recommend getting the emblem tinted light black for a steak dark grey look or dark black for a very dark look. You can go the cheap route and buy the wrap yourself off of eBay for like $5 (2 feet by 4 feet) and play with it using a squeegee and heat gun. But if you're a perfectionist, get it professionally done. Just note that it won't be cheap (but it will be perfect).

Or pay like $200 for the one already on eBay that is Pearl black (it doesn't have the clear
Plastic cover). I've also know two people with it complain how it started to come off after a year, just reglue it
Old 07-10-16, 01:04 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

I do not unfortunately. Just go ahead and get a can of plastidip from Walmart ($6) and test it out. One coat will keep it very light and leave spray marks like little circles (even if you warm up the can and shake well). Also, keep note that one coat will be harder to take off (so have hydrogen peroxide, lacquer thinner or paint thinner ready). The heavier the coat, the easier it is to peel BUT It will blur out everything.

I would just recommend getting the emblem tinted light black for a steak dark grey look or dark black for a very dark look. You can go the cheap route and buy the wrap yourself off of eBay for like $5 (2 feet by 4 feet) and play with it using a squeegee and heat gun. But if you're a perfectionist, get it professionally done. Just note that it won't be cheap (but it will be perfect).

Or pay like $200 for the one already on eBay that is Pearl black (it doesn't have the clear
Plastic cover). I've also know two people with it complain how it started to come off after a year, just reglue it
I think I will just have the bodyshop do the plastidip, since they said they would when it was already apart.

Just thought someone had done the black pearl thing.
Old 07-10-16, 07:42 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with buying the black pearl emblem on eBay. it may be $300 but it will be worth it, just make sure its for the 2014+ IS200t/250/300/350
Old 07-10-16, 08:08 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i agree with buying the black pearl emblem on eBay. it may be $300 but it will be worth it, just make sure its for the 2014+ IS200t/250/300/350
I got the black pearl emblems for the front and rear. Just the "L"

That was my point.

Quick Reply: Black pearl mod to grill chrome?