IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Black pearl mod to grill chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 06:20 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just used plastidip yesterday. Also put the glossifier to eliminate the matte finish. Don't know how it'll hold up when I wash because I use a pressure washer. Waiting until tomorrow to wash and see if it peels off.
Old 07-11-16, 06:39 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
Just used plastidip yesterday. Also put the glossifier to eliminate the matte finish. Don't know how it'll hold up when I wash because I use a pressure washer. Waiting until tomorrow to wash and see if it peels off.
Before I had my grille wrapped I had plasti-dipped it to make sure I liked the look. I had no problems when I washed it (even spraying it off at touchless car washes), just be careful.
Old 07-11-16, 06:41 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Before I had my grille wrapped I had plasti-dipped it to make sure I liked the look. I had no problems when I washed it (even spraying it off at touchless car washes), just be careful.
Does the wrap match better than the plastidip?
Old 07-11-16, 06:46 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i agree with buying the black pearl emblem on eBay. it may be $300 but it will be worth it, just make sure its for the 2014+ IS200t/250/300/350
When I had my chromed wrapped and rear logo painted I hadn't decided what I was going to do about the front emblem yet. The black pearl emblem price was/is too steep. When I picked my car up, the wrap folks had custom made a logo for my front emblem to cover the chrome. They had also painted my f sport emblems black which I didn't like. I'm fine with the front until I decide what I will do, if anything. But, the solid black f sport emblems had to go and I changed those.

Old 07-11-16, 07:18 AM
jhardy
Rookie

The wrap is a much deeper black. But not sure if I wanna pay a shop to do it for me. I like the emblems though
Old 07-11-16, 07:31 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhardy
The wrap is a much deeper black. But not sure if I wanna pay a shop to do it for me. I like the emblems though
The vinyl looks better, but......it will chip pretty easily, I already have one small spot that I notice every time I look at my grille. Once it chips bad enough to replace, I'll most likely plasti dip it again. It would be hard for me to justify the price for such a chip prone area again.
Old 07-11-16, 07:36 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Ahhh yea that would bother me so much. Didnt consider the chipping. Plastidipping is definitely the better option in that case. Can't keep sending it in to get wrapped again for every chip
Old 07-11-16, 01:41 PM
jeeper2269
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my chromed wrapped and rear logo painted I hadn't decided what I was going to do about the front emblem yet. The black pearl emblem price was/is too steep. When I picked my car up, the wrap folks had custom made a logo for my front emblem to cover the chrome. They had also painted my f sport emblems black which I didn't like. I'm fine with the front until I decide what I will do, if anything. But, the solid black f sport emblems had to go and I changed those.

What did you do the the fsport tag? Looks good
Old 07-11-16, 02:40 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeeper2269
What did you do the the fsport tag? Looks good
I bought new emblems to replace the ones that were on the car. Before I installed the new ones, I painted the white portion black
Old 07-11-16, 08:31 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought new emblems to replace the ones that were on the car. Before I installed the new ones, I painted the white portion black
What paint did you use?! Any links?
Old 07-12-16, 04:28 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

The paint that I used was Pen-Touch.
https://www.amazon.com/SAKURA-COLOR-.../dp/B0013DWXRQ

Since you have to press down on the pen to get the paint to flow (sometimes more comes out than you want), I would NOT suggest that this be tried with the emblem on the car.
The emblems are cheap to buy and removal and installation are a breeze.
Old 07-13-16, 10:53 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The paint that I used was Pen-Touch.
https://www.amazon.com/SAKURA-COLOR-.../dp/B0013DWXRQ

Since you have to press down on the pen to get the paint to flow (sometimes more comes out than you want), I would NOT suggest that this be tried with the emblem on the car.
The emblems are cheap to buy and removal and installation are a breeze.
Waterproof? What MM point did you get?
Old 07-13-16, 01:08 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phamkq
Waterproof? What MM point did you get?
Yes it is waterproof.
.7 mm
Old 10-17-16, 08:15 PM
Ksabz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I picked my car up, the wrap folks had custom made a logo for my front emblem to cover the chrome. - Can you explain what they did for this please? I was considering purchasing a black pearl front emblem but may like this idea more.
Old 10-18-16, 03:29 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ksabz
When I picked my car up, the wrap folks had custom made a logo for my front emblem to cover the chrome. - Can you explain what they did for this please? I was considering purchasing a black pearl front emblem but may like this idea more.
I didn't really discuss what they did at the time. Washing my car this weekend I noticed that I've taken a hit from a rock or something so, I was looking closely at it. It looks like the round background is just black vinyl and the "L" and circle is a paint matching gray overlay.