IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does aftermarket air intakes for 3IS actually produce any gains?

Old 06-30-16, 10:31 AM
ARK Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike200T
You can resort to name calling, I'll stick to facts ...

Based on your theory, i guess we can call ARK a liar and not believable with their dyno numbers correct? http://www.arkperformance.com/Produc...e=SM1500-0214G
Sorry ARK Performance based kolyan's theory we can't believe any of the results you post.
Haha no worries.

I wanted to come in and give an unbiased opinion on intakes and share the information that we have to the community. As you can see we don't make intakes.
Old 06-30-16, 11:24 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ARK Performance
Haha no worries.

I wanted to come in and give an unbiased opinion on intakes and share the information that we have to the community. As you can see we don't make intakes.
I have no issues with your information and dyno sheets ... I do have a problem when someone makes a blanket statement "Dyno from manufacture.....lol....what a naive person" which is essentially calling every manufacture who has made HP claims with dyno sheets a liar and fraud.

Time to move on ...

Last edited by Mike200T; 06-30-16 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 11:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 666 Likes on 589 Posts

Well.. I'll just throw this out there.. If anyone is local to socal. We can do a stock dyno run and then an after Takeda intake dyno run.. I have some in stock..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-30-16, 11:31 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

I have access to a Dyno by me and thought about doing a comparison with multiple intakes (drop in filters vs full intakes) ... but then I remembered I haven't hit the lotto yet and don't have enough slush funds to blow on a multiple intakes lol
The following users liked this post:
Veight (11-02-23)
Old 06-30-16, 11:37 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

I have access to a Dyno by me and thought about doing a comparison with multiple intakes (drop in filters vs full intakes) ... but then I remembered I haven't hit the lotto yet and don't have enough slush funds to blow on a multiple intakes lol
Hahah, luckily there are only two cold air intakes for your car then! :P

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 06-30-16, 11:42 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Well.. I'll just throw this out there.. If anyone is local to socal. We can do a stock dyno run and then an after Takeda intake dyno run.. I have some in stock..

-Josh
Thats a very good offer, this will verify the claims and will benefit the whole lexus community since the engines are shared between the platforms.
Old 06-30-16, 11:43 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by AMNss
Thats a very good offer, this will verify the claims and will benefit the whole lexus community since the engines are shared between the platforms.
I should clarify. Its not my dyno, its a local shops. But I can get a discounted rate haha.

-Josh.

Orange County, CA
Old 06-30-16, 12:19 PM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Hahah, luckily there are only two cold air intakes for your car then! :P

-Josh
Yeah, I'd like to do comparisons with the stock filter vs K&N drop in vs F-Sport drop in vs HKS drop in vs AEM drop in and then Burger Tuning intake vs Injen intake.
Old 06-30-16, 12:41 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Yeah, I'd like to do comparisons with the stock filter vs K&N drop in vs F-Sport drop in vs HKS drop in vs AEM drop in and then Burger Tuning intake vs Injen intake.
Thats too much lol, I would suggest going with drop in + burger tuning + injen when its out.
Old 06-30-16, 12:43 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

I should clarify. Its not my dyno, its a local shops. But I can get a discounted rate haha.

-Josh.
I would do it, but I don't live in the US. There should be some people willing to do it close by.
Old 06-30-16, 02:44 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my 2 cents about hp gains air intakes...

I don't proclaim to be an expert on them but I can attest that nearly all performance air intakes make very little gains on their own in modern performance cars. I've own many performance vehicles over the years and usually always upgraded to an aftermarket intake if there's one.

Only a aftermarket redesign over the factory airbox which directs, vectors or draws air to low pressure cool areas will usually net the most gains. Rarely do some of these aftermarket airbox achieve more than double digit gains by themselves unless you combine them with an exhaust mod and or tuning.

Some aftermarket air intakes or air filters don't play well with factory stock tunes either!

Companies that make these huge horsepower claims are based on optimal conditions. I relate their claims like those weight lost, get rich quick seminars or ***** enlargement ads which all have disclaimers... your results may vary!!!

Start with a decent priced brand aftermarket factory drop in filter and go from there.
Old 06-30-16, 06:15 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsportme

Companies that make these huge horsepower claims are based on optimal conditions. I relate their claims like those weight lost, get rich quick seminars or ***** enlargement ads which all have disclaimers... your results may vary!!!
Weight loss pills do have its benefit in hp-to-weight ratio might get similar results to intake
Old 07-01-16, 04:00 AM
2015Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsportme

Start with a decent priced brand aftermarket factory drop in filter and go from there.

I just saw a video from MightyCarMods on YouTube, where they dyno'd a stock air filter vs. performance filter. The result showed absolutely no gains.

And also based on where I live (Dubai), these performance filters and intakes could ruin my engine due to the amount of loose sand thats in the air. And, sometimes we get sandstorms and that just increases the chances of contaminants in the engine. This is my only car and I drive it a lot and intend to keep it for a little bit longer. So I plan very carefully before I make any modifications.
Old 07-01-16, 04:01 AM
2015Fsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-01-16, 06:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

This is among the most controversial topics in automotive forums. To the OP, buy it and try it for yourself since it's a relatively inexpensive cost. I did and noticed better responsiveness with my 250 with the Takeda intake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does aftermarket air intakes for 3IS actually produce any gains?