IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does aftermarket air intakes for 3IS actually produce any gains?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 10:33 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I thought the ECU adjusts over time even with aftermarket intake and exhausts to stock levels.
Old 06-29-16, 10:54 AM
ARK Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what we've seen and dyno'd, we haven't seen any double digit gains with just intake alone. It's more in the mid to low single digits, but it does gain just not alot.

Stock intake systems on cars these days are designed really well already.

In combination with exhaust, you'll gain more.

Last edited by ARK Performance; 06-29-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 10:58 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ARK Performance
From what we've seen and dyno'd, we haven't seen any double digit gains with just intake alone. It's more in the mid to low single digits, but it does gain just not alot.

Intake and exhaust in combination will.
If you don't mind sharing, what have you dyno'd?
Old 06-29-16, 11:19 AM
ARK Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike200T
If you don't mind sharing, what have you dyno'd?
For the IS we dyno'd Takeda/AFE intake (which seems to be one of the popular ones)

Which is a nice looking piece.
Old 06-29-16, 12:00 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Really? With people suing over too much ice in their Starbucks I highly doubt a company like K&N would lie and fake dyno results ... Seems like a good way to throw away millions of dollars and your reputation in the industry for someone calling them out on a $75 dyno pull ... BUT to each their own, believe or don't believe whatever you want ...
This product is for you....they claim 38+ hp gains

PS. Even car manufacturers don't exactly guarantee performance numbers. And you can't sue K&N they have a disclaimer, you have 30 days to return if you don't like the hp gain, after that you are on your own... Seriously are you like 16 years old lol?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Stage-1-Nano-Performance-Chip-ECU-Programmer-for-Lexus-IS250-IS350-2006-2016-Jet-/252417400480?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by kolyan; 06-29-16 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 02:00 PM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kolyan
This product is for you....they claim 38+ hp gains

PS. Even car manufacturers don't exactly guarantee performance numbers. And you can't sue K&N they have a disclaimer, you have 30 days to return if you don't like the hp gain, after that you are on your own... Seriously are you like 16 years old lol?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Stage-1-Nano-P...480?nav=SEARCH
You can resort to name calling, I'll stick to facts ...

Based on your theory, i guess we can call ARK a liar and not believable with their dyno numbers correct? http://www.arkperformance.com/Produc...e=SM1500-0214G
Sorry ARK Performance based kolyan's theory we can't believe any of the results you post.
Old 06-29-16, 02:05 PM
kolyan
Advanced

You can resort to name calling, I'll stick to facts ...

Based on your theory, i guess we can call ARK a liar and not believable with their dyno numbers correct? http://www.arkperformance.com/Produc...e=SM1500-0214G
Sorry ARK Performance based kolyan's theory we can't believe any of the results you post.
I strongly suggest you buy that chip from eBay
Old 06-29-16, 02:29 PM
Mike200T
Pole Position

I strongly suggest you buy that chip from eBay
Stop acting like a child ... I just want to be clear on this issue ... Do you or don't you believe ARK is tell the truth about their dyno numbers? You don't believe K&N which would only mean you don't believe ARK. Joe Z has dyno numbers, are they lying too? Don't open Pandora's box and then run and hide ...
Old 06-29-16, 02:45 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Stop acting like a child ... I just want to be clear on this issue ... Do you or don't you believe ARK is tell the truth about their dyno numbers? You don't believe K&N which would only mean you don't believe ARK. Joe Z has dyno numbers, are they lying too? Don't open Pandora's box and then run and hide ...
I am not going to comment on ARK products, simply because I don't really care. But you probably missed what ARK said:
"From what we've seen and dyno'd, we haven't seen any double digit gains with just intake alone. It's more in the mid to low single digits"

And on top of that, with many intakes you can gain 2-5hp on top end and loose same 5hp in low-mid end. That's if we don't take dyno inconsistency in consideration......

Last edited by kolyan; 06-29-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 03:03 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@Mike200T
I do not see any issue with the ARK dyno numbers as they are reasonable and dyno numbers by exhaust owners usually produce similar gain. However I have never seen an intake which gives 12-18 who. BTW Joe Z intake was advertised to produce 5 whp and thats actually reasonable for an intake.

@kolyan
Thats not a good way to discuss/argue with any one by calling him a 16 year old.
Old 06-29-16, 03:09 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by AMNss
@Mike200T
I do not see any issue with the ARK dyno numbers as they are reasonable and dyno numbers by exhaust owners usually produce similar gain. However I have never seen an intake which gives 12-18 who. BTW Joe Z intake was advertised to produce 5 whp and thats actually reasonable for an intake.

@kolyan
Thats not a good way to discuss/argue with any one by calling him a 16 year old.
I just remember those days, I was 16-17 back then, we all used to buy cheap intakes and think we gained 15-20hps.....because the sales guy in the shop said we did
Old 06-29-16, 07:21 PM
Mike200T
Pole Position

I am not going to comment on ARK products, simply because I don't really care. But you probably missed what ARK said:
"From what we've seen and dyno'd, we haven't seen any double digit gains with just intake alone. It's more in the mid to low single digits"

And on top of that, with many intakes you can gain 2-5hp on top end and loose same 5hp in low-mid end. That's if we don't take dyno inconsistency in consideration......
Originally Posted by AMNss
@Mike200T

@kolyan
I just remember those days, I was 16-17 back then, we all used to buy cheap intakes and think we gained 15-20hps.....because the sales guy in the shop said we did
Your comment kolyan was "Dyno from manufacture.....lol....what a naive person". ARK is a manufacture, Joe Z is a manufacture, K&N, HKS, the list goes on and on and on. You don't want to comment about ARK but when you make a blanked statement like you did, you're calling EVERY manufacture on the market, no matter what the dyne results read, a liar and fraud. If you don't agree with the numbers that someone like K&N listed, prove them wrong or have an ounce of maturity and say "I know K&N is a leader in the industry but I don't know if I can really believe the double digit numbers they claim." Instead, you would rather make a blanked statement about the whole industry and make fun of someone than actually come up with some facts.

And for the record, I'm 32 and have driven cars with 150 hp and 600 hp. I've driven and raced n/a, turbo, nitrous and supercharged cars. I've driven street cars over 150 mph on a race track and on drag strip with mid 10sec times. I worked on and strapped to dynos Honda Civics to Dodge Vipers ... Next time do some research before you try to come at a "16 year old" with bull crap and blanket statements.
The following users liked this post:
OFTRASH (08-26-20)
Old 06-29-16, 08:01 PM
kolyan
Advanced

We are talking about air filters and specifically K&N. The point is simple, they don't make those claimed performance number. Period. And if you are a racer, worked on cars and dynos and 32, you should kinda know that, no?
Old 06-30-16, 05:28 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

We are talking about air filters and specifically K&N. The point is simple, they don't make those claimed performance number. Period. And if you are a racer, worked on cars and dynos and 32, you should kinda know that, no?
Again, no facts ... Have you dyno tested the intake and can prove different results? I haven't ... Can anyone else present FACTS to say otherwise? I base information on FACTS and DATA that I have. Right now, I have no facts or data that go against K&N claims. Did K&N exaggerate? Did they make sure the conditions in the dyno room were perfect so they could get the highest numbers possible? I wasn't in the room and I didn't see the dyno pull, did you?

You like to talk (type) a lot but don't ever post facts. You just make blanket statements for the entire industry. You might not realize it, or care, but your statement labeled the entire industry as liars and frauds if they posted dyno results.

The end to this conversation is simple but I'm sure you won't agree with it ...

The claims on K&N's website were most likely done in a controlled environment with optimal conditions to help yield the best results possible. The "everyday driver" results will most likely be lower since driving conditions are constantly changing and are very rarely optimal.
Old 06-30-16, 06:27 AM
kolyan
Advanced

I am just going to agree with your nonsense here. Enjoy those 20 horses!

Last edited by kolyan; 06-30-16 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Does aftermarket air intakes for 3IS actually produce any gains?