IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Programming Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 10:44 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Programming in the garage is no problem.

It's a recommendation in case you get into a situation where you get a dead zone with the wireless signal where it may not work for being too close; gets a bit technical here. Need to imagine a wireless is like squashed doughnut where inner center area is like where the signal is weak and considered the dead zone.

A homelink there is a security risk if someones does get into the car if parked outside and presses the remote to gain free entry. One way to protect against this, is a garage door opener which is capable of remote control lockout. My garage door opener has this feature and it comes in handy as it will not respond to any remote control commands as long as it's engaged; so if your car happens to be parked outside and someone does get in, they can't access the garage. My car is normally parked inside anyways, but I use it for the extra security.
Old 06-20-16, 09:33 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Couldn't get my garage to pair with the remote but had no issues once I used the learn button on the actual motor.
Old 06-20-16, 09:06 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably the instructions listed are incorrect because I recall a good while ago and it didn't work using the remote control. I suspect it may of been due to the rolling codes.

With rolling codes, you want to use the learn button then you can program it with the car.
Old 06-24-16, 06:42 PM
crichnikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. My genie remote had a slider switch on the side. One position of the switch is 315mhz and the other 390. Homelink only works with one of these frequencies. I struggled for weeks trying to figure out what was going on. One genie rep couldnt figure it ou. But another one identified the switch issue and once i tried the other switch position it is worked.
Old 12-28-17, 10:47 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I got a new Liftmaster garage door opener tonight with a rolling code remote. I programmed the Homelink on the first attempt on both of my Lexus's using the garage remote control. I didn't even bother using the Learn button on the garage door opener.
Old 12-28-17, 11:08 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My garage door opener is over 25 years old and doesn't have a learn button anywhere. I've tried and tried and tried.........and failed.......and finally given up. My remote sits in the front cupholder!! Perhaps I should tape it to the back of the rear view mirror and pretend the button is part of the car!!
Old 12-28-17, 11:14 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
My garage door opener is over 25 years old and doesn't have a learn button anywhere. I've tried and tried and tried.........and failed.......and finally given up. My remote sits in the front cupholder!! Perhaps I should tape it to the back of the rear view mirror and pretend the button is part of the car!!

My garage opener was 25 years old as well. You need to follow the first set of instructions where you put the remote control directly up to the mirror...
Old 12-29-17, 08:40 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My opener is old also. I brought my remote to the dealer on the day of delivery, and the technician set it up for me.
One of my neighbors had a problem programming the homelink, and the same tech came out to the house and got it working.
Old 05-13-19, 05:24 AM
Nozzleman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FCC has re-allocated frequencies for garage door openers. Some of the older freq’s have been dropped off of the newer Homelinks so some people may not be able to program their older openers.

Also, I rewired my Homelink to be powered from the ignition circuit for security purposes. It only works with the key on.

For those having difficulty erasing existing codes, some people don’t understand that both outside buttons must be pressed SIMULTANEOUSLY, not press one then the other. Hold them down for 10 seconds.

I am a former Homelink tech advisor.
Old 05-14-19, 06:39 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-13-23, 02:07 PM
johnt3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The advice about possible interference helped me…… could not get homelink to recognize my remote opener, would blink but not turn green. Drove out of the driveway, to the cub de sac at the end of the street…. BAM! That did it! Then went back and completed the process of the opener learn button. I forget who wrote about the procedure, but THANK YOU !
Old 07-17-23, 01:52 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a new LiftMaster garage door opener and had to reprogram both vehicles. The Lincoln was a snap. My SC refuses to link no matter what I try - reset, remote close to buttons, learn mode.... Reading that some people had luck doing the connection outside their garage, I tried doing the connection with my SC parked 20 feet from the garage. It still did not work. I looked on YouTube and a guy says to buy a Homelink Compatibility Bridge. They cost about $40. Anybody else had to do this?
Old 07-17-23, 03:57 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
Got a new LiftMaster garage door opener and had to reprogram both vehicles. The Lincoln was a snap. My SC refuses to link no matter what I try - reset, remote close to buttons, learn mode.... Reading that some people had luck doing the connection outside their garage, I tried doing the connection with my SC parked 20 feet from the garage. It still did not work. I looked on YouTube and a guy says to buy a Homelink Compatibility Bridge. They cost about $40. Anybody else had to do this?
It’s a common problem, as not all manufacturers follow the Homelink spec exactly the same. I haven’t had the issue, but know others that have. Get the bridge.