IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Programming Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 04:23 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Homelink

Anyone having trouble programming their homelink? I've tried several times with no success. Here's what I am doing:

1. Press and hold homelink button until it blinks slowly
2. While still holding down homelink button, I bring the garage remote up next to the homelink and press and hold the button on the remote. At this point the light starts blinking rapidly
3. I go over to my garage opener motor, since my garage opener has a rolling code
4. I press the learn button on the garage opener motor
5. I go back to the car, within 30 seconds of pressing learn button, and press and hold for a couple of seconds and release. I repeat this several times

According to the directions I am using, the homelink should be programmed now. I've tried several times and it still does not work. Am I missing something? Any help/input is much appreciated, Thanks
Old 06-16-16, 07:48 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly how I did it. I didn't have any issues.

did you erase all of the stored codes and start fresh?
Old 06-16-16, 11:01 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rolling code garage. I remember pressing the learn button on the motor then going to home link. I didn't have to use the remote at all.
Old 06-16-16, 11:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
I have a rolling code garage. I remember pressing the learn button on the motor then going to home link. I didn't have to use the remote at all.
Me too. First I just pressed the learn button and then went into the car and presses the home link button for a couple seconds until it programmed. Then it worked.
Old 06-17-16, 08:13 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue with mine. Found a thread on here somewhere but I don't have the link. After you press the learn button, press and release the homelink button 3 times with 1 sec intervals (press and hold 1 sec, release 1 sec, repeat). On the 3rd press, hold until the door opens/closes.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-16, 10:06 AM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input! Gonna give it another go when I get home today.

Originally Posted by jhardy
I had the same issue with mine. Found a thread on here somewhere but I don't have the link. After you press the learn button, press and release the homelink button 3 times with 1 sec intervals (press and hold 1 sec, release 1 sec, repeat). On the 3rd press, hold until the door opens/closes.

Hope this helps.

After pressing the learn button, I pressed and released the homelink repeatedly with the 1 second intervals you mentioned, but never got it to program. I did not hold it down on the 3rd press though so hopefully that is what I am doing wrong. Will try that later today, thanks.
Old 06-17-16, 10:09 AM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vivid101
That's exactly how I did it. I didn't have any issues.

did you erase all of the stored codes and start fresh?

I did erase them. I tried programming on the first button, didn't work. Second and third also. Then I went back and erased the stored codes by holding down the homelink for what seems like 20 seconds until the slow blink returned. That is the correct way to erase right?
Old 06-17-16, 10:23 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Correct way to erase is to hold down 1st and 3rd button for about 20 sec. This erases all of them instead of just one. Try that to start fresh just in case something isn't working the way it should.
Old 06-17-16, 06:27 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't do it. homelink stays powered all the time, specially if you leave your car on the driveway regularly.
Old 06-17-16, 07:42 PM
jhardy
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
don't do it. homelink stays powered all the time, specially if you leave your car on the driveway regularly.
Don't do what?
Old 06-18-16, 02:16 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Tried it again last night. No luck. Reset all the homelink buttons, tried parking inside and outside the garage, but no success. According to the manual if the light blinks slowly then stays on continuously, I need to program the rolling code. I then go press the learn button then go back and press hold release the homelink. Repeat three times and it should be programmed. I even tried holding it down on the third time but still doesn't work.

Any other ideas? Does it have anything to do with the garage opener itself? At this point I'm settling on using the remote. I'll try again if anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-18-16, 02:21 PM
bulletpruf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Like jhardy asked don't do what? I understand someone can open the garage if they get in my car and press the homelink, but they can also press the remote as well if they're already in the car. Either way, I don't park in the driveway. Only in the garage.
Old 06-18-16, 03:35 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Is your car in the garage while you're doing this? I was having trouble programming mine while the car was in the garage. I read somewhere that you shouldn't be in the garage, so I parked in the driveway. It worked after that.
Old 06-18-16, 05:06 PM
jhardy
Rookie

I did mine outside my garage as well. If that's the case, I just got lucky because I tried to program it when I got home before parking in the garage. I had this picture of the forum I used
The following users liked this post:
LexoticJ (12-29-17)
Old 06-18-16, 08:11 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
Don't do what?
program the homelink. i carry a keychain size remote, that never stays in the car.

Quick Reply: Programming Homelink