IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why do car review critics dislike the IS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 12:47 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do car review critics dislike the IS?

What is it about the IS that reviewers hate? I rarely see CR not recommend a Lexus sedan yet they don't recommend the IS. It seems like it can't compete with the BMW 3, MB C, or Audi A4.
One thing I know for sure is I'd rather own one long term rather than the above 3.
Old 06-11-16, 01:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's not universal by any means.

In this comparison by Car and Driver, they compared the '14 IS350 RWD F Sport against the BMW 335i M Sport and Cadillac ATS 3.6. The IS won.

We didn’t see it coming because, on any other type of road, the IS clearly exhibits Lexus’s traditional top priority: serenity. On typical highway surfaces, minute twitches in the steering wheel and nearly imperceptible shifts of the body offer only the slightest hint of what lurks within. But charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn-in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance. More important, the Lexus is utterly imperturbable. Bumps that send other cars skittering off-line or scrambling to maintain their course are absorbed and dispatched, but not kept completely hidden from the driver.

It used to be that, in this class, there was a clear divide in terms of refinement between the BMW inline-six and the engines offered by competitors. That gap is rapidly shrinking. Both the Cadillac’s and the Lexus’s Vs are surprisingly close to the BMW straight-six, but the IS’s is smoother than the ATS’s. And its eight-speed automatic is quicker and more seamless than the Caddy’s six-speed though basically on par with BMW’s transmission.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...f-sport-page-4

And in this Road and Track comparison, they compared the IS350 F Sport to the BMW 335i, Cadillac ATS 3.6, and Infiniti Q50. The IS won this one too.

Press the start button, spin the drive-mode selector to Sport Plus, and commit; the Lexus will let you drive the LCDs right off it. All those techy sporting hints in the cockpit are backed up and then some. The IS has, as another editor observed, the feel and responses of a less heavily styled car. The Infiniti has gadgets to "help" you, the BMW has motor and hereditary manners, and the Caddy is a milled ingot of doubly refined handling. But the Lexus puts it all together better and lets you enjoy it more, for less money—even optioned to the gills—than anything else here.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-65-3-roa1013/
Old 06-11-16, 01:07 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ That and I believe the one consumer reports review you reference is based on the entry level IS and not an F-sport or the IS 350. Ohh, and I love my IS 350. No complaints whatsoever.
Old 06-11-16, 01:09 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Machine13
^ That and I believe the one consumer reports review you reference is based on the entry level IS and not an F-sport or the IS 350. Ohh, and I love my IS 350. No complaints whatsoever.
they even said the IS 350 is underwhelming to drive.
Old 06-11-16, 01:10 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
they even said the IS 350 is underwhelming to drive.
Have you driven one yourself?
Old 06-11-16, 01:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't want to get into a big CR thread, as we have plenty of those, but my personal opinion is that CR needs to stick to reliability ratings, and leave the test reviews to others.
Old 06-11-16, 01:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

because it isn't german.
Old 06-11-16, 01:49 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Machine13
Have you driven one yourself?
No, not yet. I've had a 92 ES, 98 GS, and an 06 SC. None were fun driving cars. Currently have a 12 BMW X3 and 13 MB E350 Cab. I purchase my cars, not lease. While the X3 is actually a great driving vehicle and I've only had 1 thing go wrong in 40k miles, it just ended its warranty period.
I don't plan to keep it for more than 2 more years or 50k.
I don't put much miles on these days.
So, my next car will probably be my last "upscale" car that I will be keeping for probably 10 years. Lexus is the only brand that is reliable enough that I could get away with doing that. I find the 3 German brands much more appealing these days. I'm not wild about the Lexus exterior whereby the cars look like they're going to turn into robots. The GS has received much better reviews than the IS. I just don't think it's worth the money and I guess many feel the same because it's a dog in terms of sales.
So, I started thinking about the 17 IS that is sort of a reboot, I guess.
Old 06-11-16, 01:52 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't want to get into a big CR thread, as we have plenty of those, but my personal opinion is that CR needs to stick to reliability ratings, and leave the test reviews to others.
Why? Do you think they're incapable of testing and reviewing cars?
Old 06-11-16, 02:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Usually they are different from the more established mags. I agree with the established mags way more often than CR. CR folks just can't drive.
Old 06-11-16, 02:57 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

They are simply not know as competent car reviewers. They know much more about refrigerators, TV sets and vacuum cleaners than cars. Fortunately these days you have so many sources that one doesn't have to bother with their point of view. So when someone says 'IS reviewers' CR doesn't even cross my mind.
Old 06-11-16, 03:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Generally, the Is250 hasn't had good reviews. The IS350 has been the class winner more often than not due to its handling. The 350 F-Sport handles better than all the other versions of the IS due to AVS.
Old 06-11-16, 03:57 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Apart from some of the above sources I generally love reviews on Youtube by Alex on Autos, they are exceptionally well and in-depth made. He covers IS 350 in-out including comparison with BMW, very honest reviews but require a bit more than 5 min to watch them.
Old 06-11-16, 03:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Olasek
Apart from some of the above sources I generally love reviews on Youtube by Alex on Autos, they are exceptionally well and in-depth made. He covers IS 350 in-out including comparison with BMW, very honest reviews but require a bit more than 5 min to watch them.
He is alright. I think Everydaydriver is much better though. Also Smoking Tire is also much better in terms of the actual driving experience.
Old 06-11-16, 04:18 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
He is alright. I think Everydaydriver is much better though.
I like them and watch them too, however these guys are strictly about handling, handling is not the only factor when I buy a car, Alex gives me a much broader view of a car, these guys are more like 'cowboys' whereas Alex is more of a 'professor'.

Quick Reply: Why do car review critics dislike the IS?