IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying a used 2014 IS 250 F sport. What to look for before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 07:24 AM
likeits07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 2014 IS 250 F sport. What to look for before buying?

Im buying a used 2014 F sport from a private dealership in the Houston area. Ive dealt with the absolute worst used car salesmen and want to make sure I have my bases covered before purchasing.
I want to have the car thoroughly inspected and diagnosed before buying, but my local Lexus dealership said they cannot do that before I purchase because they don't want to be held liable for any mishaps.
So, I need yall's help. Taking it to a mechanic (that works on foreign cars), what are somethings I should have them look for specifically. I've heard to check if the brake pads for the car are aftermarket because they usually dont last after 23k miles
. What are somethings you would check specifically before buying a non-certified pre-owned f sport before buying?

Thanks
Old 06-06-16, 07:39 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery drain issue.
Old 06-06-16, 08:18 AM
likeits07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin350
Battery drain issue.
Funny you say that. The first time I went to test drive it, the car wouldnt start because the battery was dead. I figured because the car had been on the lot for a while.
Is this something that is a red flag for me to stay away from, or could I find a quick fix to this (and also use this for price negotiation)?
Old 06-06-16, 08:41 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by likeits07
Funny you say that. The first time I went to test drive it, the car wouldnt start because the battery was dead. I figured because the car had been on the lot for a while.
Is this something that is a red flag for me to stay away from, or could I find a quick fix to this (and also use this for price negotiation)?
It's an easy fix. Just make sure all the service bulletins/recalls have been performed. They are solid cars.
Old 06-06-16, 12:07 PM
KYLESTONES
Driver

And make sure you're sure you want a 250 and not a 350, jumped into a 250 because I got a good price, and am counting down the days until I can get my hands on a 350.
250 AWD (is what I have) is pretty quick off the line, but has trouble picking up speed on the highway.
Old 06-06-16, 12:27 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure to pull a Carfax.
Old 06-06-16, 01:08 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLESTONES
And make sure you're sure you want a 250 and not a 350, jumped into a 250 because I got a good price, and am counting down the days until I can get my hands on a 350.
250 AWD (is what I have) is pretty quick off the line, but has trouble picking up speed on the highway.
im with you on that. its great just for city driving but then i cant pass anyone on the highway
Old 06-06-16, 03:45 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Also, make sure you fully examine the windshield for any cracks, rock chips preferbly in a sunny day because when i bought my pre owned certified IS I didnt realize there was a small rock chip on the windshield and by the time i realized it i already driven out the lot and ended up paying 400$ for a new glass. It was my fault because i shouldnt had been so eager to pull the trigger on the purchase and the week i purchased the car the weather was overcasted and raining so seeing imperfection on the windshield was difficult but I really wanted the car and had the finances at the time.
Old 06-06-16, 05:25 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't do it get an IS350 instead. IS250 have carbon build up engine issue.
Old 06-06-16, 10:26 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by likeits07
Im buying a used 2014 F sport from a private dealership in the Houston area. Ive dealt with the absolute worst used car salesmen and want to make sure I have my bases covered before purchasing.
I want to have the car thoroughly inspected and diagnosed before buying, but my local Lexus dealership said they cannot do that before I purchase because they don't want to be held liable for any mishaps.
So, I need yall's help. Taking it to a mechanic (that works on foreign cars), what are somethings I should have them look for specifically. I've heard to check if the brake pads for the car are aftermarket because they usually dont last after 23k miles
. What are somethings you would check specifically before buying a non-certified pre-owned f sport before buying?

Thanks
I've got 41k on my is350 and the brakes are still in the "green"

I also would suggest the is350. You'll quickly adjust to the extra power and be wanting more.

Also have the battery issue. That won't be any easy thing to spot. You'll find out if you have it soon enough though and then get to join the rest of us poor souls.
Old 06-06-16, 10:41 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
I've got 41k on my is350 and the brakes are still in the "green"

I also would suggest the is350. You'll quickly adjust to the extra power and be wanting more.

Also have the battery issue. That won't be any easy thing to spot. You'll find out if you have it soon enough though and then get to join the rest of us poor souls.
I too agreed on getting the 350. Moar power
Old 06-07-16, 11:04 AM
TorontoR
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used get a 350 for sure, fuel economy is virtually the same yet you get an extra hundred horses to play with. Bigger brakes, plus it will be 8 speed if you get the RWD.
Old 06-07-16, 01:09 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Fourrrrrrget abouuuuuuutttt itttt
Get a 2015
I think the 2014 have issues with the nulux seats cracking and you don't get the cooled seats
Dead battery issue
No Lexus enform app
The center console looks greasy lol
People change the front brakes because of the dust
The mouse is different lol
And last get a 350!!
Old 06-07-16, 01:24 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What to look for before buying a used IS250? A used IS350!

Or at least make sure you thoroughly test drive both! I was driving with one of the technicians at my local dealership following my first service, and during our small talk, the tech said that in his opinion, the engine/transmission combo in the newest IS350 RWD is one of the best that Lexus has ever made, in all aspects. I agree!
Old 06-08-16, 12:04 AM
tkeirin
Driver School Candidate

Instead of the used IS250, I would also suggest getting the IS350, new or used.

Quick Reply: Buying a used 2014 IS 250 F sport. What to look for before buying?