IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Window Trim Chrome Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 06:25 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window Trim Chrome Delete

Hey guys, just wanted to share my chrome delete of the window trim that I did myself over the long weekend. I'd like to get some feedback of how it looks and if you can tell that it wasn't done professionally. I think if you went up close then you will see that it wasn't done by a pro. Haha but I got estimated a $200 price quote for a chrome delete. This was definitely a cheaper option by a longshot. This was a DIY shown by the 2IS owners and is where I found out about it.

Chrome delete complete

Comparison of chrome on door trim and chrome deleted
Old 05-31-16, 07:56 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks good! Im not patient with the vinyl so i went with the plastidip chrome delete around the trims and it looks great as well (in pictures and far away) but up close, it looks like crap.

The quotes i got from shops were crazy, ranging between $150-400 for just the window chrome deletes using vinyl
Old 05-31-16, 09:18 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Silveon
It looks good! Im not patient with the vinyl so i went with the plastidip chrome delete around the trims and it looks great as well (in pictures and far away) but up close, it looks like crap.

The quotes i got from shops were crazy, ranging between $150-400 for just the window chrome deletes using vinyl
Thanks. Yea it did take alot of time using the vinyl and patience. I had to split into two days cause I got so tired of doing the tedious job. I feel like the plastidip would look alot better and easier to do.

I didn't understand the crazy prices all the shops I went to get a quote for the chrome delete. A roof wrap is $300 and that would use alot more vinyl but they want $200 for some small pieces around the window trim.
Old 05-31-16, 09:57 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Thanks. Yea it did take alot of time using the vinyl and patience. I had to split into two days cause I got so tired of doing the tedious job. I feel like the plastidip would look alot better and easier to do.

I didn't understand the crazy prices all the shops I went to get a quote for the chrome delete. A roof wrap is $300 and that would use alot more vinyl but they want $200 for some small pieces around the window trim.

the window trim is alot more tedious because the roof is just one huge piece. I just plastidipped my window trim because itll be alot easier to remove (because sometimes it does look good). For roof, for sure ill be using vinyl since its more direct sunlight and rain
Old 06-01-16, 09:00 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Even if it is more tedious they can't expect to get paid $400 for something that is probably alot more easier for a professional. If an idiot like me can do it then a pro can definitely do it in a cake walk. I know they need to make a living but at least make reasonable prices. If a shop said $90-$100 then I probably would've let them do it.

Got any pictures of your chrome delete using plastidip?
Old 06-01-16, 09:09 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wraps go for that much these days? Got my roof wrapped + stock spoiler for $180, chrome trim for $100.
Old 06-01-16, 09:15 AM
devinkato
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a link to the DIy you followed?
Old 06-01-16, 12:25 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Plastidip window chrome delete. Not the greatest looking compared to vinyl but much cheaper. Easier to touch am up as well.

Old 06-01-16, 12:50 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Plastidip window chrome delete. Not the greatest looking compared to vinyl but much cheaper. Easier to touch am up as well.
I don't think that looks bad. It looks like a pretty good job to me. It's plasti-dip, it has it's limits. When my vinyl wrapped grill surround gets eat up by rocks I'll probably just plasti-dip it instead of getting it re-wrapped.
Old 06-01-16, 01:17 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I don't think that looks bad. It looks like a pretty good job to me. It's plasti-dip, it has it's limits. When my vinyl wrapped grill surround gets eat up by rocks I'll probably just plasti-dip it instead of getting it re-wrapped.
awhs, thank you . Its time consuming from the prep mainly (covering windows and surrounding spaces. I just go over the trim and did 10 coats, with ten minutes wait in between. When the can starts shooting pieces, its time to stop using it. Used about two cans for both sides of window trim (total $12).

I can honestly say it does work and protects against day to day drive because i also dipped my grill and lower end of my front bumper, drove through Freeway 5 through Fresno where all the flies are and wiped them off (or just peel it off and redo it). Only thing I would for sure stick to vinyl would be the roof since its more direct sunlight.

Overspray can easily be taken off with alcohol or peels right off. Ive heard cleaning it with just soap and water is good or SIMPLE GREEN.
Old 06-01-16, 01:21 PM
Silveon
Rookie

oh! and big thing, PLASTIDIP DOES NOT STICK WELL TO RUBBER. the window trims have rubber parts and it just wouldnt stick well. SO when you trim off the excess and get to where the rubber part is, be very careful not to let the dry plastidip roll up - it will cause a domino effect and everything peels off.

"Professional plasti dip" charge on window chrome delete: $100-$120 (from about 6 quotes)
D-I-Y: $20 for masking tape and three plasti dip cans.
Old 06-01-16, 02:38 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Nice! Damn that corner looks so much better than mine with the plastidip. Did you use the glossifier too? I'll post a picture later of how my DIY upclose looks. Its not as uniform as yours when it comes to the corner.

Also devinkato, it wasn't really a step by step guide but more of a thread on the 2IS forum that just talked about it. Essentially I bought the gloss black beltline kit from outmotoring.com for the 1Gen Mini Cooper that is also for blacking out the chrome on their car. But this beltline kit is $10 and all you need to do is clean the chrome and stick it on. The tricky part is the corners on the passenger door since you gotta cut and use multiple pieces to make it uniform-ish. While the bottom chrome on the window requires a top piece for the top lip of the chrome nearest to the window then a side piece that runs along the door near the paint of the car. I can live with how the corners look upclose but for some people it may bother them too much. I'll post a pic of how it looks upclose later. Also the reason 2IS owners recommend the beltline kit is because the vinyl is already cut to be the exact width of our chrome trim except for the passenger corners.
Old 06-01-16, 02:48 PM
Silveon
Rookie

No glossifier! I dont like the look of the glossifier especially since i do not have the most steady hands. It can go really bad very quick if not applied right. I just sticked to the regular black (matte).

If you want to plastidip you wheels and make it gloss, I prefer the metalizer over the glossifer, much better.
Old 06-01-16, 06:52 PM
BostonIS
Pole Position

No glossifier! I dont like the look of the glossifier especially since i do not have the most steady hands. It can go really bad very quick if not applied right. I just sticked to the regular black (matte).

If you want to plastidip you wheels and make it gloss, I prefer the metalizer over the glossifer, much better.
What can happen if you don't apply the glossifier correctly? The only reason I like the gloss is to match the cars black gloss around the window. Haha
Old 06-01-16, 07:04 PM
Silveon
Rookie

Originally Posted by BostonIS
What can happen if you don't apply the glossifier correctly? The only reason I like the gloss is to match the cars black gloss around the window. Haha
maybe im doing it wrong. But it looks really cheap with the glossifier - it leaves like this texture, really hard to explain. From what i seen on youtube, some guy painted his friends BMW wheels and the gloss black turned out really nice, he used 4 coats of black then two/three coats of gloss.

Quick Reply: Window Trim Chrome Delete