IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wiring aftermarket AMP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 10:06 AM
cscott621
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring aftermarket AMP

I have a question for some of you pros out there...would it even be worth it to wire an aftermarket amp to the stock speaker system (non ML)? I am looking into getting a little more out of the stock speakers but I personally do not want to get a sub...and the Lexus stock speakers are "alright" so I was wondering if it even worth it and if so then where would you tap in in order to hook up the amp? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-31-16, 01:29 PM
Aleriance
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cscott621
I have a question for some of you pros out there...would it even be worth it to wire an aftermarket amp to the stock speaker system (non ML)? I am looking into getting a little more out of the stock speakers but I personally do not want to get a sub...and the Lexus stock speakers are "alright" so I was wondering if it even worth it and if so then where would you tap in in order to hook up the amp? Any help would be appreciated!
If you're going to hook-up just an amp and not get new speakers or sub then don't even bother. That's not going to do anything for the sound quality, and you'll likely just end up blowing the factory speakers. Now... in order to tap into the factory amp to connect it to an aftermarket amp, you have the get a Line Out Converter and tap into the wires on the factory amp (located under the trunk floor beneath the First Aid Kit) then connect the RCA cables comes from your aftermarket amp to the line out converter. Again, there's no benefit to doing this if you're not going to be getting all new speakers or adding a subwoofer. You would be surprised much more clear your entire factory system would sound by adding even a light subwoofer. Our factory sub in the car is horrendous and does nothing but rattle when you turn up the bass. Good luck!