IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 11:36 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
People think correctly that BMWs are money pits and I will only gladly support them in this conviction. After my 13 years of ownership of 528iT I can attest that the car needs much more than regular preventive maintenance. It needed transmission replacement twice (!) within the first 100K miles, door ***** break down, hatchback locking mechanism fail, etc, etc. completely unexpected thing break down - in my case the metal support for the battery collapsed (mechanics could not believe it) and had to be re-welded. The main drive shaft failed and had to be replaced ($3000), traction computer failed ($1000), list is very long and I never tried to add it all up - I could get a heart attack. What in other cars lasts for life and you don't even know it is there - the odds are in BMW it will fail, very under-engineered cars. BMW can be the ultimate driving machine but with ultimate break-down statistics.
5-series are actually known to have issues and also have very poor resale value. None of my cars ever had any problems like that. Ive had my M3 for 8 years/~100K miles and only normal stuff has gone wrong. Stuff like rear bushings, breaks, rear differential, VANOS exhaust hub, valve cover gasket leak, thermostat, water pump. Very standard stuff that fails over time.

I'm still on the original transmission and clutch at 157k miles. M3's arn't even known for their reliability and mine has not been bad. I think you may have just gotten a lemon or the car was previously abused and/or kept outside in harsh weather. The stuff you're describing sounds like a reconditioned water damaged vehicle to me.
Old 06-10-16, 08:25 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@Olasek - "What in other cars lasts for life and you don't even know it is there - the odds are in BMW it will fail," - beautifully put.
Old 06-10-16, 09:44 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, the fact that the engine was pushed in on the E-class was a good indicator, that a smaller car, the same impact would of been different on a smaller car, considering his height. I remember what my friend replaced his E class with; it's a GLK250.

As for clock, apparently there are two of them.

http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/lexus-...l?keyword=lock
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/lexus-...m-clock-type-f

Last edited by Sango; 06-10-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 10:23 AM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
For safety AMG G-Wagon for the win! Those things are a brute.I am sure that I would opt for a larger car if something like that ever happened to me. Traumatic events can very quickly change your priorities.

To be honest I don't think your friend could go from a Mercedes to a Lexus and be happy. The interior of Mercedes is decadent. Lexus is nice but I don't think anyone is on Mercedes level when it comes to that.

The m235i that I tested also seemed to have higher quality materials than the IS 350. Although the IS didn't have any luxury packages or anything like that. It was basically a run of the mill F-Sport.
No doubt the interior is far nicer in the current C class. It's become a mini-S and pretty much blows all other competitors in its class in that aspect, IMO.

Guess it depends on what you want. For me, my eyes are on the road and a minimum of instrumentation. I need to be comfortable. And I want it all to be nice, maintain it's good condition and be squeak free. Whether it be the interior of a 5 star resort hotel or a clean 4 star might not be worth the TCO difference and other pros/cons.

In other words I can go from BMW, Porsche, Audi, or M-B to Infiniti or Lexus and be happy depending upon what my overall priorities are and have no trouble understanding how others do as well.

If you are looking at M235i and M2, consider also the Dinan M235i in addition to the C43 I mentioned earlier.
Old 06-10-16, 11:47 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you may have just gotten a lemon or the car was previously abused and/or kept outside in harsh weather. The stuff you're describing sounds like a reconditioned water damaged vehicle to me.
The car was not abused, was owned by a businessman on the West Coast, hardly a climate that would classify as 'harsh'. The car was 'certified' by the dealer. This is the problem with BMW - too many are 'lemons'.
Old 06-10-16, 01:27 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I have two friends that lemoned their 335 due to issues...one electrical and one fuel pump. My other friend bought a 335 in the same month I bought my IS350. Its been over a year now for both our cars and his has rattles and creaks all over while my car is completely silent. So many quality issues with BMW right now...kinda sad
Old 06-10-16, 02:59 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have two friends that lemoned their 335 due to issues...one electrical and one fuel pump. My other friend bought a 335 in the same month I bought my IS350. Its been over a year now for both our cars and his has rattles and creaks all over while my car is completely silent. So many quality issues with BMW right now...kinda sad
Yep, the 335i is currently on record as the least reliable BMW in existence. It started out with tons of problems because BMW hadn't done FI for decades. Then there were other issues with the car that were not related to FI.

The later years are supposedly much better but I would never touch a 335i with a 10 foot pole. One reason I have been in my e46 M3 for 8 years now. Issues with their best 3-series and an e92 M3 that had become bloated and heavy.
Old 06-10-16, 05:21 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5-series are actually known to have issues and also have very poor resale value. None of my cars ever had any problems like that. Ive had my M3 for 8 years/~100K miles and only normal stuff has gone wrong. Stuff like rear bushings, breaks, rear differential, VANOS exhaust hub, valve cover gasket leak, thermostat, water pump. Very standard stuff that fails over time.

I'm still on the original transmission and clutch at 157k miles. M3's arn't even known for their reliability and mine has not been bad. I think you may have just gotten a lemon or the car was previously abused and/or kept outside in harsh weather. The stuff you're describing sounds like a reconditioned water damaged vehicle to me.
Things like bushings,brake änd such are mostly wear items as they take a beating during driving. Things like thermostats, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, VANOS and various electronic sensors have been issues carried over since the e36 chassis.They don't fail as often and at that rate with other manufacturers. For my non-dealer serviced e46, I had spare parts, ordered online ready to go knowing they will be needed. It's nice not have a parts store in the garage and be able to use it for its intended purpose: parking the car.
Old 06-10-16, 05:39 PM
stressed
Driver School Candidate

Seems like the IS is not meant for you based on your descriptions. No right or wrong here but instead of beating this brand/model like no tomorrow, my suggestion is to move on.

Different walks of life has different wants and that is fine. A Lexus/IS is not for everyone.
Old 06-10-16, 06:48 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by stressed
Seems like the IS is not meant for you based on your descriptions. No right or wrong here but instead of beating this brand/model like no tomorrow, my suggestion is to move on.

Different walks of life has different wants and that is fine. A Lexus/IS is not for everyone.
Yeah, I already decided I'm most likely going for an M2. But I may give the IS another test drive. I have not been beating the brand or car, on the contrary others have been flaming me and BMW throughout the thread while I have been very open minded and rational appreciating cars across brands.

There seems to be a lot of Lexus fan boy behavior going on in here with no rational thought. Just unjustified loyalty to a marquee and unjustified prejudice towards others.

No brand is perfect, each one has its strengths and weaknesses. It's all about priorities. This has taught me that my priorities seem to lean towards very sporty and very fun to drive, small, agile cars. Sadly those are not common these days.

Some one suggested the C43 AMG and that is good looking enough to overlook some lack of agility and handling. I will take a closer look at that car this weekend as well.
Old 06-10-16, 06:54 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Things like bushings,brake änd such are mostly wear items as they take a beating during driving. Things like thermostats, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, VANOS and various electronic sensors have been issues carried over since the e36 chassis.They don't fail as often and at that rate with other manufacturers. For my non-dealer serviced e46, I had spare parts, ordered online ready to go knowing they will be needed. It's nice not have a parts store in the garage and be able to use it for its intended purpose: parking the car.
That's pretty cool. It would be nice to have some spare parts on hand whenever needed. I feel like a lot of stuff on it just has a clock ticking with it rounding 16 years of age pretty soon. For me there is something incredibly enjoyable about the car that allows you to forgive these failures from time to time.

I have test drove all sorts of cars and brands looking for something newer that makes me feel the same way. So far the m235i seems to hit the spot so I think the M2 would really be something to my liking.
Old 06-10-16, 08:38 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Some one suggested the C43 AMG and that is good looking enough to overlook some lack of agility and handling. I will take a closer look at that car this weekend as well.
I doubt you'll be disappointed in the dynamics of the C43. Most reviews say they've out BMW'd BMW. It's not the traditional all engine heavy dynamics of the old AMG.

If it's this weekend you'll have to drive the C450 AMG since the C43 isn't at dealers yet but basically same car. While you are there check out the CLA45 AMG also.

Interested in your thoughts of both if you do drive them.
Old 06-11-16, 01:03 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdiver68
I doubt you'll be disappointed in the dynamics of the C43. Most reviews say they've out BMW'd BMW. It's not the traditional all engine heavy dynamics of the old AMG.

If it's this weekend you'll have to drive the C450 AMG since the C43 isn't at dealers yet but basically same car. While you are there check out the CLA45 AMG also.

Interested in your thoughts of both if you do drive them.
Well, that's lame. I thought it was available at the dealership already. The C450 appears to be a 4-door when I google it. That would make it quite a bit different.
Old 06-11-16, 05:58 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the CLA a FWD platform? That would make the driving dynamics quite a bit different than the C43 and the ///M2 or the 235iM-Sport. Note that the BMW ///M2 is quite a bit different than the 235i M-Sport too. pick carefully. bimmerforum awaits you, say hi for us.
Old 06-11-16, 06:43 AM
sdiver68
Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Isn't the CLA a FWD platform? That would make the driving dynamics quite a bit different than the C43 and the ///M2 or the 235iM-Sport. Note that the BMW ///M2 is quite a bit different than the 235i M-Sport too. pick carefully. bimmerforum awaits you, say hi for us.
Yes but AWD. Supposedly the CLA45 and even more so the GLA45 are very capable and fun to drive. Was just saying why not check it out if already at MB dealership to see the C43? But since OP doesn't know cars as evidenced by many things in this thread including not knowing what a C43 is ...the point is moot. Cross shopping 2 dr cars open a whole world of possibilities many with superior dynamics to anything in the 4 dr sport luxury sedan class.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Test Drive