IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 04:21 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Te blinker is fine when test driving the new IS. It's almost identical to my Camry Hybrid which has the same kind of blinker the Lexus has.

As per the clock, maybe Lexus should have put in the F-Sport premium clock in for the F-Sport!
http://lexusboutique.net/?pid=1391424
Old 06-08-16, 06:19 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Alex
Hate to break it to you, but any new BMW will most likely give you the exact same impression. I had an e46 325Ci, whose turn signal stalk acted in a traditional fashion, but on my e90 335i, and all BMWs from then on, to my knowledge, the turn signal behaves in almost exactly the same way as my new IS350's. I'll admit that the tactile "click" sensation is slightly less, but only by a very, very slight margin. Otherwise, it feels exactly the same as any newer BMW.
Not true, I test drove an e9X 330I and the stock acted as I expected. I just test drove an m235i and it's stock behaved even better than my e46 M3. If anything BMW has made it even better with even more obvious indications that you are in the signalling position with tactile resistance and a noticeable click.

I feel like a lot of people on this forum went from econo-box Toyotas to Lexus and have no idea how other brands behave.
Old 06-08-16, 06:27 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Olasek
You can see how human perception can be different - I love this analog clock precisely because it is such a juxtaposition to the technology in the car plus it is really well integrated (IMHO). I am heavily into art and saw zero tackiness in this case. I would be very disappointed without this clock. My sporty BMW Z3 also has an analog clock, I completely reject the notion that an analog clock has no place in a sporty car.

You see this is another point of disagreement, if you drove F-sport this was a faux leather, I personally didn't like it and opted for full leather in the luxury package.
I did not say that the analog clock had no place in a sporty car. I said it had no place in a car with an interior that looks technologically advanced. The IS had carbon fiber trim.

Your Z3 was made a bijillion years ago and had all kinds of circular ***** and read-outs that actually complimented the analog clock.

The clock however, is the least of concerns.
Old 06-08-16, 06:41 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
Not true, I test drove an e9X 330I and the stock acted as I expected. I just test drove an m235i and it's stock behaved even better than my e46 M3. If anything BMW has made it even better with even more obvious indications that you are in the signalling position with tactile resistance and a noticeable click.

I feel like a lot of people on this forum went from econo-box Toyotas to Lexus and have no idea how other brands behave.
Back when I had an e90 it took a little getting used to as well. It really just boils down muscle memory and subconscious. If your body is used to having something work a certain way with a certain range of motion and suddenly it changes it takes a little time to adapt and relearn. Infiniti's and other luxury brands are not setup like lexus / bmw. It has nothing to do with econo box toyota's...

Last edited by gregerst; 06-08-16 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 06:47 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
As per the clock, maybe Lexus should have put in the F-Sport premium clock in for the F-Sport!
But our clocks look a lot better than the Q50's.

Old 06-08-16, 07:09 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I said it had no place in a car with an interior that looks technologically advanced.
Your opinion only, there are many cars which are "technologically advanced", have carbon fiber details, etc. and still have analog clocks including Bugatti Veyron. By the way my IS350 has no carbon fiber at all but this is completely irrelevant here.
Old 06-08-16, 10:06 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by gregerst
But our clocks look a lot better than the Q50's.

Wow, that looks like an 8-bit NES is running the graphics for that clock/console..

Lexus is miles ahead of these guys when it comes to interior design.
Old 06-08-16, 10:13 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sango
Te blinker is fine when test driving the new IS. It's almost identical to my Camry Hybrid which has the same kind of blinker the Lexus has.

Holy molly that clock is a massive rip off. At $1,500 it better be mechanical and have a movement made by Rolex, Jeager LeCoultre, Vacheron, Patek Philippe or some other premium company.
Old 06-08-16, 11:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerRain
Plus I cannot even put my phone in the cup holder! I am using iPhone 6S Plus.
Sarcasm, of course. That belongs in a laptop bag.

I think it's kind of amusing seeing BMW owners complain about turn signals because most in SoCal don't bother to use them anyway. I was able to go from a 1994 GS300 with left and right signals that you would have to cancel after a lane change, to slight up or slight down or all up or all down, which does self cancel if you use it for making a turn.

It's really not too hard to figure out in my opinion. Press up before detente, three blinks, Press up after detente and you are turning. Self-canceling steps in.

I don't know how BMW deals with that in cabin, but most drivers don't seem to bother with them.
Old 06-08-16, 11:54 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Holy molly that clock is a massive rip off.
Really? What do you know about watches? If this was a Patek or Vacheron you would have to add not one but 2 zeros to the price. Even Ralph Lauren (hardly a watch company) charges around the same for their standing quartz 'table' watch. Any half-decent Seiko watch costs nearly the same.
Old 06-09-16, 11:00 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

Really? What do you know about watches? If this was a Patek or Vacheron you would have to add not one but 2 zeros to the price. Even Ralph Lauren (hardly a watch company) charges around the same for their standing quartz 'table' watch. Any half-decent Seiko watch costs nearly the same.
I know a lot about watches, more than 99.999% of the population easily. When a high end company make just the movement and it's not a complete piece the price is not that high compared to an actual watch made by that company. Quartz watches in general are a complete rip off since you are only paying for the case/dial when it's a quartz because the movement is nothing more than a little motherboard.

For example, if you purchase a quartz Patek you are paying for only the case, dial and name brand recognition because the movement is nothing more than a microchip. What makes a Patek expensive is the quality of the MECHANICAL movement. Essentially you are a sucker for believing that you are buying anything of value. The 2nd hand market reflects that as quartz watches plummet in value massively compared to mechanical ones in most cases.

Patek and Vacheron have made plenty of movements for other companies in the past and those watches and clocks are not valued anywhere near a triple signed piece with the company name on the movement, case and dial nor did they cost anywhere near what a true piece would cost made by that company.

If that clock is made by a Japanese watch/clock company it's absolutely of no value close to $1,500 as no company in Japan makes watches that can compare to Swiss time pieces. Usually just quartz junk or pseudo mechanical stuff.

I know this news probably comes as a surprise to all of those who love their quartz Movado, TAG Heuer, and what nots. Those quartz watches cost a ton of money because people are complete suckers and buy basically items of little value compared to their mechanical counter parts for thousands of dollars.

Microchip vs hand crafted piece of engineering. It's common sense when you think about it rationally.
Old 06-09-16, 11:58 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Again, your own interpretation what rip off is. People are buying quartz watches daily and see the perceived 'value' there, there is a bit more to quartz watches than just a 'microchip'. I suggest you start looking into rip-offs in other areas of life, this includes prices on BMW vehicles (my opinion only).
Old 06-09-16, 12:59 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so basically, we have BMW shill, posting about how bad a test drive he had on an entry level Lexus on a Lexus forum, and then bragging about his horology knowledge by throwing up Swiss brand names of watch makers and putting down "Japanese movements" as cr4p? Classy, very classy

as one senior member on a watch forum said: Those who speak do not know, and those who know do not speak.
Old 06-09-16, 03:27 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Originally Posted by My0gr81
so basically, we have BMW shill, posting about how bad a test drive he had on an entry level Lexus on a Lexus forum, and then bragging about his horology knowledge by throwing up Swiss brand names of watch makers and putting down "Japanese movements" as cr4p? Classy, very classy

as one senior member on a watch forum said: Those who speak do not know, and those who know do not speak.
I did not speak badly about the car. I noted things which bothered me in particular. I compared it to a BMW because that's all I know. I have driven only BMW except during high school and college when I was too young to afford one.

The guy bated me into a watch conversation by claiming I probably don't know anything about watches or clocks. I was merely calling him out on a stupid comment.

Quartz are very bad purchases because you are basically paying for a piece of jewelry that is not a precious metal in most cases.

Purchase mechanical and it will depreciate less or possibly appreciate.

Get something that's already aged a bit like a 1990's Submariner or GMT etc.. and it will actually go up in value. Quartz will never go up in value. They are merely a piece of apparel.

Ask your supposed senior forum member buddy and he will 100% agree. Quartz are basically disposable time pieces regardless of the brand. $1,500 for a quartz anything not made of precious metals is a waste of money.
Old 06-09-16, 03:36 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Again, your own interpretation what rip off is. People are buying quartz watches daily and see the perceived 'value' there, there is a bit more to quartz watches than just a 'microchip'. I suggest you start looking into rip-offs in other areas of life, this includes prices on BMW vehicles (my opinion only).
I will rephrase it as a waste of money instead of a ripoff. You pay thousands of dollars and it is worth only hundreds in the 2nd hand market.

I will agree that most BMW's are not that great anymore. BMW has lost its way in the past 15 years which is why I was testing a Lexus in the first place. Nothing BMW offers currently is as fun or enjoyable as a 15 year old e46 M3. It's very sad.

If i had kids to lug around and needed 4-doors I would certainly choose the IS 350 over a 3-series.

My sites are now set on a 2-door, most likely M2.

Quick Reply: IS 350 Test Drive