IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 Test Drive

Old 05-31-16, 03:19 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by nocxx2
**Should have complained about the cup holders, their placement, their build quality and their impracticality. Everything about that is wrong and bad.
I agree, the cup holders brings the interior down in my opinion. They spent so much time on making the cabin look really cool and then those cup holders are such an eye sore and worse than that the passenger can't even lay their arm on the armrest instead it lines up their elbow with the hole, bad bad design. I'd expect this from Hyundai but not Lexus.
Old 05-31-16, 03:21 PM
SummerRain
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I agree, the cup holders brings the interior down in my opinion. They spent so much time on making the cabin look really cool and then those cup holders are such an eye sore and worse than that the passenger can't even lay their arm on the armrest instead it lines up their elbow with the hole, bad bad design.
Plus I cannot even put my phone in the cup holder! I am using iPhone 6S Plus.
Old 05-31-16, 03:52 PM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

I would move on to the next car on your list if I was in your situation. You shouldn't have to get ppl to force you to overlook the things you dislike or convince you to like a car.
Old 05-31-16, 06:27 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigMak
Since the RC-F is around $70K I didn't test drive it. I merely sat in an RC-350. $70K is crazy money IMO. That's full blown M4 territory.
Can get a used RC-F for $55k.
Old 05-31-16, 07:57 PM
Lex2133
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
I would move on to the next car on your list if I was in your situation. You shouldn't have to get ppl to force you to overlook the things you dislike or convince you to like a car.
Yes, best advice.
Old 06-01-16, 03:04 PM
tkeirin
Driver School Candidate

OP, based on your test drive review, I think the IS350 F Sport is not the right car for you. I just recently got my 2016 IS350 F Sport and I love it. I did come from another car that I just traded in and also own a 2016 Honda Fit EX. So to me, I like everything the IS350 F Sport offers.
Old 06-01-16, 04:38 PM
jetboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes is mainly for older retired people. Their cars are luxury yachts made for straight line performance. BMW's are made for the track. MB is not and does not try to be a track car. They are nice but not as fun to drive IMO.

The Lexus absolutely rides smoother than any BMW I have stepped foot in. This is because most BMW's are made to have a bit stiffer suspension for taking turns and providing feedback to the driver. The Lexus felt great cruising down the highway.

The BMW m235i seat had adjustable side bolsters and an inflatable lower lumbar support. This made the seat fit you like a glove no matter what. The sportiness and handling was also a huge night and day difference. This of course is not fair though since one is a 2-door and the other a 4-door.

If Lexus had a better seat in the IS 350 F-sport, fixed the blinker situation, improved the handling a bit, provided a manual option and made the tach a physical dial, I would be pretty pleased with it. The clock is whatever...
IMO they're kind apples and oranges. Put them both on a rack and take a look at the actual suspension and drive train. Put a wheel bearing from each beside each other, or a ball joint. It's very obvious why the IS is so durable as compared to a BMW or Mercedes. But you do sacrifice some other things like top end performance. It's not that Lexus can't - the LFA is of course the example. It's just that it's a different design criteria and different product.

Lexus doesn't chase the 1%. It's a car built for the biggest segment of the market. My wife loved her 2IS - now has an RX. For me it was just okay. But our 2 other cars are a Land Cruiser and a 4runner, so I'm kinda in a different field all together.

It sounds like maybe it's just not the right "fit" for what you're looking for. Also - if you can't see the dash, it's probably because you were wearing polarized sun glasses and they were the wrong polarized angle to see the screen well. The dash is quite bright. Brighter than any iphone. Not all polarized sun glasses are the same angle of polar filter. I would try other sunglasses.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-16, 05:50 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish I can put my MK3 Supra driver seat in the IS. That seat is much nicer and better support than the one in the IS.
Old 06-01-16, 08:06 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need a better salesman or test drive a different car. I agree the stalks take a little getting used to at first but once I did I like it more than a traditional setup. They function with minimal effort.
Old 06-01-16, 08:54 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't get the complaint on the signal stalk. seemed normal to me since day 1
Old 06-06-16, 12:46 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboy
IMO they're kind apples and oranges. Put them both on a rack and take a look at the actual suspension and drive train. Put a wheel bearing from each beside each other, or a ball joint. It's very obvious why the IS is so durable as compared to a BMW or Mercedes. But you do sacrifice some other things like top end performance. It's not that Lexus can't - the LFA is of course the example. It's just that it's a different design criteria and different product.

Lexus doesn't chase the 1%. It's a car built for the biggest segment of the market. My wife loved her 2IS - now has an RX. For me it was just okay. But our 2 other cars are a Land Cruiser and a 4runner, so I'm kinda in a different field all together.

It sounds like maybe it's just not the right "fit" for what you're looking for. Also - if you can't see the dash, it's probably because you were wearing polarized sun glasses and they were the wrong polarized angle to see the screen well. The dash is quite bright. Brighter than any iphone. Not all polarized sun glasses are the same angle of polar filter. I would try other sunglasses.

Good luck.
You are correct. I was wearing polarized Maui Jim sun glasses. I actually got to thinking that my sunglasses might have been the issue.

I believe that a 4-door car just isn't for me at the moment. This made me realize that sportiness and handling are more important to me than the utility of a 4-door vehicle. After test driving several cars I now have my sites set on an M2. Since it's considerably more expensive I'm going to wait a couple of years for used ones to come onto the market a bit cheaper. I was hoping this was going to be the year I found something I would enjoy but it's real hard to like anything after driving an e46 M3 for 8 years straight. If I had a couple of kids to lug around I could definitely see myself getting the IS.
Old 06-06-16, 12:53 AM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i don't get the complaint on the signal stalk. seemed normal to me since day 1
It doesn't click in place to tell you that it is signalling left, right or not at all. If you're used to the turn signal giving you very obvious cues and tactile input the indicator is very annoying to deal with. In a BMW it's like using a stick shift. It clicks into place, makes a clicking sound and stays there until you turn. If you only change lanes you flick it and it goes back into the neutral position. It can't flop past the neutral position like it does in the Lexus. There's resistance akin to changing gears on a shifter when going from neutral position to left or right signalling.

The Lexus stock just seemed to flop around like a wet noodle and even more annoyingly did not stop blinking even after you had made the turn.
Old 06-06-16, 09:39 AM
kyoungjook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't click in place to tell you that it is signalling left, right or not at all. If you're used to the turn signal giving you very obvious cues and tactile input the indicator is very annoying to deal with. In a BMW it's like using a stick shift. It clicks into place, makes a clicking sound and stays there until you turn. If you only change lanes you flick it and it goes back into the neutral position. It can't flop past the neutral position like it does in the Lexus. There's resistance akin to changing gears on a shifter when going from neutral position to left or right signalling.

The Lexus stock just seemed to flop around like a wet noodle and even more annoyingly did not stop blinking even after you had made the turn.
Sorry, I saw this comment from a BMW driver, and I kind of just had to Kidding, of course...

Old 06-06-16, 05:51 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The analog clock in the dash looked very tacky and out of place for a car that is modern and technologically advanced.
You can see how human perception can be different - I love this analog clock precisely because it is such a juxtaposition to the technology in the car plus it is really well integrated (IMHO). I am heavily into art and saw zero tackiness in this case. I would be very disappointed without this clock. My sporty BMW Z3 also has an analog clock, I completely reject the notion that an analog clock has no place in a sporty car.

The leather was nice and good quality.
You see this is another point of disagreement, if you drove F-sport this was a faux leather, I personally didn't like it and opted for full leather in the luxury package.

Last edited by Olasek; 06-06-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 02:24 PM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to break it to you, but any new BMW will most likely give you the exact same impression. I had an e46 325Ci, whose turn signal stalk acted in a traditional fashion, but on my e90 335i, and all BMWs from then on, to my knowledge, the turn signal behaves in almost exactly the same way as my new IS350's. I'll admit that the tactile "click" sensation is slightly less, but only by a very, very slight margin. Otherwise, it feels exactly the same as any newer BMW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS 350 Test Drive