IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2IS v. 3IS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 08:00 PM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
i came from a 2004 G35 coupe. I have a 2015 350 F-sport and the car murders the G in handling in sport+ mode. Its also way faster but, there is no sound so you don't get that visceral experience as you get on the G35. I've driven the 2IS and hated it...felt so soft and mushy. I would go test drive the new Q50 Red Sport as it will be much faster than the 3IS.
Well yeah, the F-Sport is a 5.0 liter V8 -- never driven one, but too bad you can't hear it : / And my G was only the sedan, lol, not the coupe. But yeah, starting to look harder at another Infiniti -- apparently the hybrid Q50 is the quickest one of all?!?!
Old 05-26-16, 10:07 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Common mistake, the F Sport is a trim only designation, not the alternate V8 engine, that's the F. The 350 F Sport and non-F Sport have the same 3.5 liter V6 engine, the F has the 5.0 liter V8.
Current IS model does not have 5.0 V8 engine.
Old 05-26-16, 10:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Digmymojo
Well yeah, the F-Sport is a 5.0 liter V8 -- never driven one, but too bad you can't hear it : / And my G was only the sedan, lol, not the coupe. But yeah, starting to look harder at another Infiniti -- apparently the hybrid Q50 is the quickest one of all?!?!
The Red Sport is much faster. It seems like it will run away from a BMW 340. It is 400hp after all
Old 05-27-16, 08:11 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
the main difference is that the 3IS looks WAY BETTER
the 2IS is a handsome car, though, with classic, timeless lines. it has aged well.
Old 05-27-16, 08:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the 2IS is a handsome car, though, with classic, timeless lines. it has aged well.
I think i read that 70-80% of the 2IS were female owned. I think it was a chic car...waaay too pretty looking The 3IS is definitely uglier which is why i bought it...i wonder what the male:female ratio is for the 3IS.
Old 05-27-16, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a really neat video about the design of the current IS:

Old 05-29-16, 11:59 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

First, thanks for the great posts so far -- appreciate your experience.

I just drove two 2014s today, both RWD, and was underwhelmed. They just didn't feel as ballsy as I might've liked -- no wonder everybody favors the F-Sport. They were quick in sport mode, sure, but even when they start up they sound like 4-cylinders. I guess that's the price you pay for higher MPG -- the newer trannies tune the power right out. To be fair, I'm coming from a 2004 G35, which sounds all *****, digs in with power, and, imo, feel more powerful than the newer, bigger G37s.

Didn't like the body re-do of the 2014s at first, but once I stood by one and noticed how the rear flare ties right in with the taillights in that nice organic line, I was kind of in love.

I totally understand what you mean about sitting IN it -- felt like sport seats, for sure. Which may have added to the underwhelm...if I'm sitting that low and tight in the cockpit, I want the thing to growl and almost get air when I step on it. And the suspension felt sporty -- I wasn't on the right road to do it justice, but it seemed to sit down and grip fairly well when I hit that U-turn that made the salesman grab the Jesus bar.

Did the interior go from leather to pleather 2013>2014? Someone mentioned the 2014 felt more plasticy. I see it. I've heard people gripe about wrinkles in leather, but I think leather improves with age...as long as it doesn't tear. Give me leather over Nuluxe or whatever any day.

More thoughts?
My old 85 Corolla "felt" like it was the fastest thing ever. Even my 05 STI "felt" super fast. But these are just feelings. The 3IS would destroy the corolla and easily beat the sti on a roll.The problem or if there is any, is that new 3IS design to be smooth, smooth gearing with low engine and exhaust noise. Like you said, in Sport + mode the car "felt" faster, but it is not. You could probably solve this by installing louder exhaust.

Last edited by jkonquer; 05-29-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 06:01 AM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Common mistake, the F Sport is a trim only designation, not the alternate V8 engine, that's the F. The 350 F Sport and non-F Sport have the same 3.5 liter V6 engine, the F has the 5.0 liter V8.
Ohhh, thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-30-16, 06:23 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think i read that 70-80% of the 2IS were female owned. I think it was a chic car...waaay too pretty looking The 3IS is definitely uglier which is why i bought it...i wonder what the male:female ratio is for the 3IS.
Chick love to drive IS250.
Old 05-31-16, 04:30 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
This is a really neat video about the design of the current IS:

Reinventing the Lexus IS! - The Downshift Episode 48 - YouTube
Nice video.
Old 06-04-16, 10:36 AM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

Okay, it's official -- I hate fake leather.

I don't care what you call it -- leatherette, SynsaTec, whatever -- it all feels like cheap vinyl to me. It doesn't breathe, isn't soft like leather, doesn't sound like leather, and just makes my back sweat. And I don't care if it's easier to clean -- it's like someone put a vinyl condom on the seats.

One Toyota dealer said they could do a factory leather install on a 2013, to switch it from black to ivory. Wonder if they could do this on a 2014? Or if anyone has had it done?
Old 06-05-16, 06:09 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Okay, it's official -- I hate fake leather.

I don't care what you call it -- leatherette, SynsaTec, whatever -- it all feels like cheap vinyl to me. It doesn't breathe, isn't soft like leather, doesn't sound like leather, and just makes my back sweat. And I don't care if it's easier to clean -- it's like someone put a vinyl condom on the seats.

One Toyota dealer said they could do a factory leather install on a 2013, to switch it from black to ivory. Wonder if they could do this on a 2014? Or if anyone has had it done?
you can get leather on the 3IS, although you have to forgo the f-sport package in lieu of the luxury package.
Old 06-05-16, 06:22 AM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

you can get leather on the 3IS, although you have to forgo the f-sport package in lieu of the luxury package.
You mean leather comes with luxury package but not with F-Sport?
Old 06-05-16, 06:32 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

You mean leather comes with luxury package but not with F-Sport?
yeah, i stated that incorrectly earlier, but yeah. i have the luxury package and have leather seats.
Old 06-05-16, 06:41 AM
Digmymojo
Driver School Candidate

yeah, i stated that incorrectly earlier, but yeah. i have the luxury package and have leather seats.
Can you post the invoice? I've seen some with "leather-trimmed" seats, but not with straight "leather seats." Kind of like "juice drink," with is not fruit juice, but sugar water and food coloring : )

Te gusta Juan Gelman, eh? Hay traducciones ricas por Lisa Bradford.

Quick Reply: 2IS v. 3IS Help!