IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

200t-should I pull the trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 08:24 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
For those recommending the 350 vs the 200t just wondering what the pros are to justify the cost. I do care a lot about long term reliability and worry about maintenance costs. Thanks everyone in advance for your comments appreciate them!
advantage - power, known reliability (engine's been around for 10 years), refinement
disadvantage - very marginal fuel penalty vs 250 and 200t that you're not going to notice when you're enjoying that beautiful engine.

The toyota prius is a great car for what it is but it's not in the same category as a compact sport sedan. Handling and NVH just can't compete. If you want better fuel economy with good refinement and handling, you should really test drive the current generation accord hybrid. its a much better put together package than the prius if you ask me. I only suggested the CT200H because you seem to be shopping for a nice car that has good handling characteristics. If you want good handling characteristics and hybrid fuel efficiency my answer would be the accord hybrid.

Last edited by evident; 05-24-16 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 08:39 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip. It doesn't have to be luxury the IS is nice but I'm looking to driving my next car into the ground so thinking practical too. This decision would probably be easier if I had a little more focus. Only thing holding me back from the hybrids is that it's just unfamiliar and I don't drive more than 30 miles a day so wasn't sure how much I needed one

Originally Posted by evident
advantage - power, known reliability (engine's been around for 10 years), refinement
disadvantage - very marginal fuel penalty vs 250 and 200t that you're not going to notice when you're enjoying that beautiful engine.

The toyota prius is a great car for what it is but it's not in the same category as a compact sport sedan. Handling and NVH just can't compete. If you want better fuel economy with good refinement and handling, you should really test drive the current generation accord hybrid. its a much better put together package than the prius if you ask me. I only suggested the CT200H because you seem to be shopping for a nice car that has good handling characteristics. If you want good handling characteristics and hybrid fuel efficiency my answer would be the accord hybrid.

Last edited by prosgal73; 05-24-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 10:04 PM
evident
Racer

Thanks for the tip. It doesn't have to be luxury the IS is nice but I'm looking to driving my next car into the ground so thinking practical too. This decision would probably be easier if I had a little more focus. Only thing holding me back from the hybrids is that it's just unfamiliar and I don't drive more than 30 miles a day so wasn't sure how much I needed one
Ok, well here's some questions to focus on:

What's your Price Range?
Ok buying slightly used?
How do you rate handling?
Power?
Fuel economy?
Rear Passenger Comfort?
Storage?

FYI, i drive about 60 miles a day and can live with my 22MPG . I came from a 30MPG 4 Cyl 2007 Accord that I would have kept for much longer if the paint didnt start to fade and also rust prematurely.

I would definitely say the IS is one of the more "practical" of the sport sedans out there with the best reliability of all of them. I can see myself keeping this car for 10 years or longer even when i have kids. the fold down seats make it much more practical than any other lexus sedans out there, even though it's a bit smaller inside.

As for unfamiliarity with hybrids, unless you're going for the pure prius, you won't be compromising much if you go with a sedan hybrid, like the accord hybrid or camry hybrid (yuck). there might be a battery pack placed somewhere but they don't take up that much space ( in my opinion). your best bet is to go out and test drive ,and see what you really want
Old 05-25-16, 08:29 AM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll look into it and ck the price difference but what do u think is better about it to justify the price just wondering would appreciate the insight thank you!
Prosgal, the running cost (gas+maintenance+insurance) for the IS250 and IS350 are very similar, if not the same. The difference in power is quite significant. I've driven both (and own the 350). You don't want to be in a situation a year or two down the line thinking "I wish I'd gotten the 350 instead" after having spent ~ $40K. You will have a higher resale value for the 350. I would think the 350 is a more solid car - the 350 engine has been perfected - it is bullet-proof.

The Prius is an awesome car. There is NOTHING wrong with cross-shopping the IS with the Prius. They are just different driving feel and as someone mentioned the NVH is a bit higher on the Prius. I've been in Prius cars that have been used as cabs / Uber cars that have more than 200K miles on them - and they looked and held up like near new. If I were in the market for a hybrid, the Prius would be the first on that list. And given that current prices are competitive owing to low gas prices, it is a good time to shop for the Prius.

PS: On the topic of hybrid technology, Nissan has gone on record saying that their competition, especially Toyota has gotten so far ahead, that Nissan would *never* be able to catch up. As a result, Nissan is pursuing other 'alternative' technologies.

Last edited by Lex2133; 05-25-16 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 10:11 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you should look into ES300H if you want hybrid. When I bought the Camry Hybrid (2012), I also test drive the CT200H. IMHO, You get a better value on the TCH vs the CT. The TCH has better gas millage, bigger, faster and more comfortable vs the CT. I try to like the CT because I do like station wagon (I did own the Matrix before), but can't. The ESH, TCH and TAH are all share the same drive-train. I would of wait and get the ESH if I know if coming out instead of the TCH. Simply because you won't be treated like 2nd class citizen at Toyota dealer. My bro bought the ESH. Although on paper the ESH get better mileage than the TCH, but my TCH get better mileage than my bro ESH (40 vs 39 on real world). So if you really want the Prius, look into the CT200H. You get better customer service at Lexus dealer vs Toyota.

I also currently own a 89 Supra Turbo for 20 years and it dam reliable car giving it has a known BHG (Blown Head Gasket) problem, but I never need a town truck in 20 years of ownership. All I need was just regular maintenance and most the those are done by me. Every time It broke down, it just happen right before I pull into the drive way or before leaving the drive way. One reason for that is because I have the car too long. So any unusual sound coming from the car will get my attention to check it before it be come bigger problem.
I would expect the IS200T also has similar or better reliability. Currently gas mileage on the IS200T isn't what I expected.
Interesting, but base on 3 cars I have right now (actually 4), the Supra, TCH then the IS is on the order of what car I want to drive today. The Supra is more fun because it stick. The TCH because better mileage, the IS because it a nice cruiser. The Sienna is when we on road trip.
BTW, most folks on this board will steer you toward the 350 . Dam, that a long post LOL
Old 05-25-16, 10:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

People say the 350 F sport is the way to go and they are completely right. Its also not just for the engine. Frankly, the normal mode on the IS350 is a decent handler but soft and not that exciting. The Sport+ mode makes it feel like a completely different animal...the throttle response, steering, handling all just feels way better. They didn't bless the 200t this way so test drive the IS350 F-sport in sport+ mode and if that doesn't do it for you, maybe paying a premium for a sports sedan isn't right for you. God know that the F-sport options kinda suck (no memory seats, no leather, no auto wipers, no fog lights, etc...)
Old 05-25-16, 11:13 AM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Man, I love my 200t. I mean, I recently just got it. F Sport 200t. I didn't bother spending more for a 350. While we don't know if it's going to be a reliable engine.. The turbo makes it fun. I mean hell, I came from a 250. What a difference. Either way, it's definitely more fuel efficient. I leased the car but honestly I can see myself keeping this car over the 3 years.
Old 05-25-16, 07:41 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks! Yes gotta get to the test driving

Ok, well here's some questions to focus on:

What's your Price Range?
Ok buying slightly used?
How do you rate handling?
Power?
Fuel economy?
Rear Passenger Comfort?
Storage?

FYI, i drive about 60 miles a day and can live with my 22MPG . I came from a 30MPG 4 Cyl 2007 Accord that I would have kept for much longer if the paint didnt start to fade and also rust prematurely.

I would definitely say the IS is one of the more "practical" of the sport sedans out there with the best reliability of all of them. I can see myself keeping this car for 10 years or longer even when i have kids. the fold down seats make it much more practical than any other lexus sedans out there, even though it's a bit smaller inside.

As for unfamiliarity with hybrids, unless you're going for the pure prius, you won't be compromising much if you go with a sedan hybrid, like the accord hybrid or camry hybrid (yuck). there might be a battery pack placed somewhere but they don't take up that much space ( in my opinion). your best bet is to go out and test drive ,and see what you really want
Old 05-25-16, 07:44 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I've heard the supras were fun! Nice that you have that classic

Originally Posted by MatrixPC
Maybe you should look into ES300H if you want hybrid. When I bought the Camry Hybrid (2012), I also test drive the CT200H. IMHO, You get a better value on the TCH vs the CT. The TCH has better gas millage, bigger, faster and more comfortable vs the CT. I try to like the CT because I do like station wagon (I did own the Matrix before), but can't. The ESH, TCH and TAH are all share the same drive-train. I would of wait and get the ESH if I know if coming out instead of the TCH. Simply because you won't be treated like 2nd class citizen at Toyota dealer. My bro bought the ESH. Although on paper the ESH get better mileage than the TCH, but my TCH get better mileage than my bro ESH (40 vs 39 on real world). So if you really want the Prius, look into the CT200H. You get better customer service at Lexus dealer vs Toyota.

I also currently own a 89 Supra Turbo for 20 years and it dam reliable car giving it has a known BHG (Blown Head Gasket) problem, but I never need a town truck in 20 years of ownership. All I need was just regular maintenance and most the those are done by me. Every time It broke down, it just happen right before I pull into the drive way or before leaving the drive way. One reason for that is because I have the car too long. So any unusual sound coming from the car will get my attention to check it before it be come bigger problem.
I would expect the IS200T also has similar or better reliability. Currently gas mileage on the IS200T isn't what I expected.
Interesting, but base on 3 cars I have right now (actually 4), the Supra, TCH then the IS is on the order of what car I want to drive today. The Supra is more fun because it stick. The TCH because better mileage, the IS because it a nice cruiser. The Sienna is when we on road trip.
BTW, most folks on this board will steer you toward the 350 . Dam, that a long post LOL
Old 05-25-16, 08:13 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Any thoughts on new 2016 Prius versus the previous model if I decide to go this route?

Originally Posted by Lex2133
Prosgal, the running cost (gas+maintenance+insurance) for the IS250 and IS350 are very similar, if not the same. The difference in power is quite significant. I've driven both (and own the 350). You don't want to be in a situation a year or two down the line thinking "I wish I'd gotten the 350 instead" after having spent ~ $40K. You will have a higher resale value for the 350. I would think the 350 is a more solid car - the 350 engine has been perfected - it is bullet-proof.

The Prius is an awesome car. There is NOTHING wrong with cross-shopping the IS with the Prius. They are just different driving feel and as someone mentioned the NVH is a bit higher on the Prius. I've been in Prius cars that have been used as cabs / Uber cars that have more than 200K miles on them - and they looked and held up like near new. If I were in the market for a hybrid, the Prius would be the first on that list. And given that current prices are competitive owing to low gas prices, it is a good time to shop for the Prius.

PS: On the topic of hybrid technology, Nissan has gone on record saying that their competition, especially Toyota has gotten so far ahead, that Nissan would *never* be able to catch up. As a result, Nissan is pursuing other 'alternative' technologies.
Old 05-25-16, 11:01 PM
tkeirin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently just bought the IS350 F Sport. Initially, I was planning to get the IS200t F Sport, as it was cheaper and had better fuel economy. After 3 separate trips to the dealership and 3 test drives of both cars, I finally went with the IS350 F Sport. The steering feel and feedback was better, suspension was better, and the power was better. Fuel economy wasn't my concern anymore as the IS350 fuel economy is better than my previous car.
Old 05-26-16, 06:30 AM
evident
Racer

Any thoughts on new 2016 Prius versus the previous model if I decide to go this route?
if you can live with the hideous styling, its a marked improvement over the previous generation according to most of the reviews.

Last edited by evident; 05-26-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 07:47 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for sharing your experience so what is your MPG? Curious I currently have 20mpg on my car so that's why I'm not happy because my previous car was better

Originally Posted by tkeirin
I recently just bought the IS350 F Sport. Initially, I was planning to get the IS200t F Sport, as it was cheaper and had better fuel economy. After 3 separate trips to the dealership and 3 test drives of both cars, I finally went with the IS350 F Sport. The steering feel and feedback was better, suspension was better, and the power was better. Fuel economy wasn't my concern anymore as the IS350 fuel economy is better than my previous car.
Old 05-26-16, 07:48 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Yup the styling definitely is a problem haha thanks!

if you can live with the hideous styling, its a marked improvement over the previous generation according to most of the reviews.
Old 05-26-16, 10:24 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience so what is your MPG? Curious I currently have 20mpg on my car so that's why I'm not happy because my previous car was better
MPG depend greatly on where and how you drive the car.
My TCH get good mileage because I use it mostly on city and congested SoCal freeway. The IST get poor mileage due to same driving environment. It get good mileage when travel on flat and normal freeway speed (from LA to San Diego with no traffic).

Quick Reply: 200t-should I pull the trigger?