IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Importing 3rd gen IS into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 08:05 AM
dutchie350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing 3rd gen IS into Canada

I may be looking at this a little down the road (maybe when the dollar improves a bit . The price difference on slightly used IS models is large and worth looking into importing. I thought of considering BMW or AUdi, but I hit myself in the head and got myself back on track to sticking with Lexus. My current car has been good to me.
Has anyone done this with this model, and what was your experience? I would be looking at the 2014, 2015 IS350 f sport awd. I drive an 07 is350 sport now.

The main issues used to be:

-DRLs: which new US models now have, correct? so a non-issue?
-odometer : F sport is digital and I assume can easily change from miles to KM
-bumpers: not sure about this, but assume there aren't changes needed here
-duty: Is the new IS, f sport etc made in North America? I believe the RX was made in Canada for example.

Warrenty is good for all of North America so that is a non-issue as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-16, 08:25 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DRL: Both Canada and US have the same LED DRL
Odometer: You can easily change between km and miles
Bumpers: You might have to double check on this but I think they're the same
Duty: AFAIK the IS is made in Japan
Old 05-12-16, 08:28 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would advise you to buy it from Canada since the US spec 3IS is lacking many features.
Old 05-12-16, 09:52 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
I would advise you to buy it from Canada since the US spec 3IS is lacking many features.
Where do you get that info from? Canadian spec lacks Enform, Traffic from HD Radio and only has the single HID projector headlights, with halogen high beams. Canadian spec has the cold weather package across Canada, where as it is only included in the North East region for US Spec. Considering the price difference, US Spec is the better buy.
Old 05-12-16, 11:15 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.riv.ca

Make sure it's OK to import.

Understand that, I think, the warranty won't apply in Canada.
Old 05-12-16, 01:28 PM
dutchie350
Driver School Candidate

I believe the riv says all 2009-2016 Lexus are good to import. I would make a couple calls to confirm that. And I know the lexus website indicated somewhere warrenty is good for anywhere in north america.
It makes sense. Should you take a roadtrip down to the states and vice versa, and need repairs...it is covered under warrenty should warrenty still exist.

Originally Posted by rld14
www.riv.ca

Make sure it's OK to import.

Understand that, I think, the warranty won't apply in Canada.
Old 05-12-16, 01:31 PM
dutchie350
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I am looking at a 2014 f-sport with 17k miles on it in the US, priced 10k less than same cdn with more miles (25k). There is of course the current currency exchange and duty etc to factor. I would only do this if the dollar levels out with the US $

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Where do you get that info from? Canadian spec lacks Enform, Traffic from HD Radio and only has the single HID projector headlights, with halogen high beams. Canadian spec has the cold weather package across Canada, where as it is only included in the North East region for US Spec. Considering the price difference, US Spec is the better buy.
Old 05-12-16, 01:55 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchie350
-DRLs: which new US models now have, correct? so a non-issue?
-odometer : F sport is digital and I assume can easily change from miles to KM
-bumpers: not sure about this, but assume there aren't changes needed here
-duty: Is the new IS, f sport etc made in North America? I believe the RX was made in Canada for example.

Warrenty is good for all of North America so that is a non-issue as well.

Thanks!
DRL's are fine in both US in Canada. The US cars can turn the DRLs on or off on the stalk while the Canadians do not as per regulation.

Odometer, you can can change to km/h, however the ODO itself remains in miles. For 2016 cars, the ODO shows in the appropriate (km/h or miles) depending on unit selection. Temperature unit will be in Fahrenheit and cannot be changed to Celsius; I wish they allowed this.

Warranty, if you have to pay Lexus USA can re-reimburse you.
Old 05-12-16, 02:14 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Odometer, you can can change to km/h, however the ODO itself remains in miles. For 2016 cars, the ODO shows in the appropriate (km/h or miles) depending on unit selection.
My 2015 IS350 F Sport changes the odometer when I change from km to miles.
Old 05-12-16, 02:34 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

www.riv.com is what your going to want to spend your time on reading.

I can tell you this for sure, if you buy the car, your going to have to get the ownership faxed to the CCRA BEFORE you go and pay for it. You can't just show up at the border and try and bring it across. CCRA will do a background check on the car to make sure it isn't stolen and such.

As for bringing it over, if you intend to drive it across, you can go to the local DMV in the state where you purchase it, and get a temporary permit (similar to our 10 day permit) and use that to bring it across.. Also, CCRA will expect you to be honest about what you payed, so if they think your low balling them, you can expect them to call the previous owner and ask what you payed, and for gods sake, don't be like my idiot friend, went and bought a Corvette in Detroit and tried cheating the customs agent a bit, so they searched his car, and found the AutoTrader which he used to locate the car, and charge him taxes based on the listed price, never mind the lower negotiated price..

They can seize your stuff and not give it back, so just be sure you do it all above board. There are awesome deals to be had buy used from the US.
Old 05-12-16, 02:44 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about memory seats and heated ventilated seats?
Old 05-12-16, 02:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
My 2015 IS350 F Sport changes the odometer when I change from km to miles.
Most likely 2014 cars because I tested this on both a US and Canadian car switching each other and noticed the ODO did not change. They must of changed for 2015 and on.

Last edited by Sango; 05-12-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 05:36 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
What about memory seats and heated ventilated seats?
same specs in US and Canada. 2014 f-sport had heated but not ventilated, 2015 had both. cold weather package had heated steering wheel too.
Old 05-16-16, 09:39 AM
dutchie350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendanf
www.riv.com is what your going to want to spend your time on reading.

I can tell you this for sure, if you buy the car, your going to have to get the ownership faxed to the CCRA BEFORE you go and pay for it. You can't just show up at the border and try and bring it across. CCRA will do a background check on the car to make sure it isn't stolen and such.

As for bringing it over, if you intend to drive it across, you can go to the local DMV in the state where you purchase it, and get a temporary permit (similar to our 10 day permit) and use that to bring it across.. Also, CCRA will expect you to be honest about what you payed, so if they think your low balling them, you can expect them to call the previous owner and ask what you payed, and for gods sake, don't be like my idiot friend, went and bought a Corvette in Detroit and tried cheating the customs agent a bit, so they searched his car, and found the AutoTrader which he used to locate the car, and charge him taxes based on the listed price, never mind the lower negotiated price..

They can seize your stuff and not give it back, so just be sure you do it all above board. There are awesome deals to be had buy used from the US.
lol...yes. i have heard stories. I've done a lot of car part runs and claimed everything (almost). So i have never had any issues. They are pretty strict with the taxes though. I have a feeling i will be buying from a reputable dealer and possibly have an importer help with all the paperwork. I don't mind doing a bit of work, but it would be a big purchase and I know I will forget something.

My wife's friend lied to customs about some clothes once. My wife was with her but didn't purchase or claim anything. Because of her friends lie, my wife was flagged and we were often pulled aside for years.
Old 05-16-16, 09:40 AM
dutchie350
Driver School Candidate

same specs in US and Canada. 2014 f-sport had heated but not ventilated, 2015 had both. cold weather package had heated steering wheel too.
Thanks, that is good to know as well.

Quick Reply: Importing 3rd gen IS into Canada