IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Stock tires rubbing when hard turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 11:22 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Have someone actually look at the tires while you're backing out, and at which point it starts to rub (if indeed it is rubbing).
This would validate if the tires are rubbing or not.
Old 02-02-17, 12:36 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

+1, mine make somewhat of a noise when at full lock. Same thing happened in pretty much every car I have owned, so I chalked it up to the tires not making even contact with the ground (skipping I guess). Hopefully that's it.

When people say "rub" they usually mean the tire is contacting the inside of the wheel well. Is that what you mean? Ref: http://www.tsw.com/explore-tsw-custo...re-rubbing.php
Old 02-02-17, 02:08 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Next time you hear the rub at full lock turn . Get out of the car and grab a flashlight and take a look and see if anything is rubbing.
All you need are eyes to check instead of speculating what may be happening.
Old 02-02-17, 02:34 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Next time you hear the rub at full lock turn . Get out of the car and grab a flashlight and take a look and see if anything is rubbing.
All you need are eyes to check instead of speculating what may be happening.
lol. yes! especially at stock height it should be pretty easy to look in the wheel well to examine, but i doubt you're rubbing on anything, listen to spec!
Old 02-03-17, 11:45 AM
RiojaRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue on two AWD F-Sport IS350's I've Driven

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
Hi everyone,

as the title says, I got some very noticeable tire rub when I'm reversing out of my driveway.
If i turn the steering wheel almost all the way in either direction, it starts happening.

I have a 2015 is350 f-sport, just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I looked up other threads but they were mostly dealing with non-stock tires. Just for reference, my car has 12k km on it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Hi there,

I have a 2016 IS350 AWD F-Sport with 2,000 km on it. I've noticed exactly the same type of rubbing noise when I turn the wheel far enough while moving at low speeds. For example, turning into or out of a parking stall on level ground, backing out of an inclined driveway, tight maneuvers in a parking lot, etc. I hear the rubbing noise and feel a slight vibration like the wheels are skipping on the pavement. It also feels like the car is dealing with increased friction. You have to turn the steering wheel far enough for it to happen. You don't even have to go to lock, it happens well before that.

I detected exactly the same issue on an identical AWD IS350 F-Sport that had 4,000 km on it during a test drive. I feel like this may be a limitation of the AWD system. I've only encountered this issue on an old Lincoln Navigator, when its AWD is engaged manually or automatically (it operates in RWD until slip is detected).

I can do tight turns (to lock) in a Civic, Altima, Corolla and 2014 BMW 335i XDrive without any rubbing noise, vibration, skipping on the pavement or increased resistance.

I'll be taking my car into Lexus for the 1,600 km inspection and I'll mention it to them. I'll report back what they tell me.

If anyone has any expert information, please let me know as well.
Old 02-04-17, 10:02 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Front what other's have said in the past on the F-sport it's the way the tires are contacting the ground when turning so far. You end up on the outer tread and you feel some vibration. I definitely have this same feeling you are describing in my 2014 AWD F-sport. While it isn't pleasant it also doesn't seem like an issue.
Old 06-18-17, 04:22 PM
RiojaRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RiojaRed
Hi there,

I have a 2016 IS350 AWD F-Sport with 2,000 km on it. I've noticed exactly the same type of rubbing noise when I turn the wheel far enough while moving at low speeds. For example, turning into or out of a parking stall on level ground, backing out of an inclined driveway, tight maneuvers in a parking lot, etc. I hear the rubbing noise and feel a slight vibration like the wheels are skipping on the pavement. It also feels like the car is dealing with increased friction. You have to turn the steering wheel far enough for it to happen. You don't even have to go to lock, it happens well before that.

I detected exactly the same issue on an identical AWD IS350 F-Sport that had 4,000 km on it during a test drive. I feel like this may be a limitation of the AWD system. I've only encountered this issue on an old Lincoln Navigator, when its AWD is engaged manually or automatically (it operates in RWD until slip is detected).

I can do tight turns (to lock) in a Civic, Altima, Corolla and 2014 BMW 335i XDrive without any rubbing noise, vibration, skipping on the pavement or increased resistance.

I'll be taking my car into Lexus for the 1,600 km inspection and I'll mention it to them. I'll report back what they tell me.

If anyone has any expert information, please let me know as well.
Hey everyone,

I forgot to come back with an update. According to the shop foreman at my local Lexus dealer, the rubbing/skipping is to be expected on this car due to the way the tires are aligned. The inside wheel turns out more, causing the rubbing/skipping. It has nothing to do with the AWD system.

It's a mild annoyance, and I'm sure it wears that tire out more if you do a lot of tight turns, but it's by design.