Lexus IS Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 07:31 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lexus IS Sway Bar

Hello Guys,

I have been searching for Sway bar for the 3rd Gen IS.

I've read super pro have released sway bar for the 3rd Gen IS, but can't find any information over the internet beside a member on here have fitted them.
And I heard from another member he had fitted the RC350 rear sway bar onto the 3rd Gen IS.

Does anyone have more information to share?

Old 05-05-16, 01:20 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. It was me. I fitted the RC350 Fsport rear sway bar to my IS. 3mm difference in diameter compared to the bar the same with my car, and also has a more sophisticated bushing.

Really worthwhile mod. Transforms turn in and moves balance from slightly nose heavy to neutral.
Old 05-05-16, 02:58 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by webra
Yes. It was me. I fitted the RC350 Fsport rear sway bar to my IS. 3mm difference in diameter compared to the bar the same with my car, and also has a more sophisticated bushing.

Really worthwhile mod. Transforms turn in and moves balance from slightly nose heavy to neutral.

Do you know if the Front Sway Bar will also fit on the 3IS?

SARD Racing Japan have developed the front and rear sway bar for the Lexus RC.

Front is 45% more stiff, Rear is 30% more stiff than the stock RC Sway Bar.

Do you have more pictures and details regarding the stock 3 IS F Sport or Non F Sport Sway compare with the RC?
Old 05-05-16, 05:14 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts
Do you know if the Front Sway Bar will also fit on the 3IS?

SARD Racing Japan have developed the front and rear sway bar for the Lexus RC.

Front is 45% more stiff, Rear is 30% more stiff than the stock RC Sway Bar.

Do you have more pictures and details regarding the stock 3 IS F Sport or Non F Sport Sway compare with the RC?
I did not try but I believe it should fit as I recall the brackets are the same. It's good that even stiffer bars are now available....when I was doing this I didn't have other options. I wanted more roll control but not differ or lower springs as I needed the ground clearance.

I did also fit to my 2014 IS the TRD door stabilisers, body braces and performance dampers...definitely worthwhile.

Was going to post some pictures but somehow they didn't upload properly.
Old 05-05-16, 08:31 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

I did not try but I believe it should fit as I recall the brackets are the same. It's good that even stiffer bars are now available....when I was doing this I didn't have other options. I wanted more roll control but not differ or lower springs as I needed the ground clearance.

I did also fit to my 2014 IS the TRD door stabilisers, body braces and performance dampers...definitely worthwhile.

Was going to post some pictures but somehow they didn't upload properly.
Do you have a RC front sway bar available, and you can try?
If you want to control the body roll, sway bar is the right way.
I wonder why do you only need a thicker rear bar, and not the front as well?

Yes, those TRD goodies are designed for the IS and it will improve what it need to be improve.
Those what TRD does, because they've all the DATA from Lexus Japan and they know exactly what need to be improve.
Old 05-05-16, 12:28 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

generally, modern cars are set up to be under steer. this is safer in cases when you lose control of the car.

most enthusiasts HATE under steer. for every day driving, stiffening up the rear of cars promotes more over steering, and therefore promote more fun.

stiffening up the front promotes more under steer.

if you need IS owners to test fit, i'd be game!

Last edited by dnasians; 05-05-16 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 12:38 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dnasians
generally, modern cars are set up to be under steer. this is safer in cases when you lose control of the car.

most enthusiasts HATE under steer. for every day driving, stiffening up the rear of cars promotes more over steering, and therefore promote more fun.

stiffening up the front promotes more under steer.

if you need IS owners to test fit, i'd be game!
Want to control the body roll more than the under steer…..
Old 05-06-16, 07:25 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Want to control the body roll more than the under steer…..
body roll is tied directly to when the front or the rear of the car loses traction. one step in controlling body roll are swaybars.

the front sway bars in most cars is sufficient for lateral load exchange (for most people). the rear sways are less stiff to let the body roll a little more, while the front is stiff, therefore promoting understeer (front wheels losing traction before the rear). it's all about achieving the correct balance. for car manufacturers, a little understeer is desired for safety purposes, for most road enthusiasts, increasing the rear is sufficient in adjusting how much the car will roll and getting rid of some understeer.

for race applications, you'd want body roll to be at an absolute minimum, therefore you'd want to stiffen both the front and the rear sways, BUT you should want to achieve a balance that's close to zero understeer, or with a little preference to oversteer (rear wheels losing traction before the front). oversteer let's experienced drivers turn into corners better, more efficient at carrying momentum, etc...

therefore if you stiffen the front, you REALLY need to stiffen up the rear.

Last edited by dnasians; 05-06-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 12:58 AM
webra
Pole Position

Do you have a RC front sway bar available, and you can try?
If you want to control the body roll, sway bar is the right way.
I wonder why do you only need a thicker rear bar, and not the front as well?

Yes, those TRD goodies are designed for the IS and it will improve what it need to be improve.
Those what TRD does, because they've all the DATA from Lexus Japan and they know exactly what need to be improve.
In my case, with the IS300h, the weight of the hybrid battery pack gives the car a 50/50 weight distribution. But I suspected the rear Spring rates and sway bar stiffness are the same as the other IS models, and thus all I needed was a little more roll stillness in the rear to compensate for the added weight. The result is a really well balanced car for its power...plus 900-1000km per tankful.

The balance is really superb. My guess would be that aftermarket springs would have adjusted the rear rates for a similar effect.

One of my favourite mods is the TRD door stabilisers. Helps the car feel all of one piece over bumpy corners at very high speeds. The other is the front lower arm bush from the RCF.

What's next? Something to increase front camber.....
Old 05-07-16, 04:52 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dnasians
body roll is tied directly to when the front or the rear of the car loses traction. one step in controlling body roll are swaybars.

the front sway bars in most cars is sufficient for lateral load exchange (for most people). the rear sways are less stiff to let the body roll a little more, while the front is stiff, therefore promoting understeer (front wheels losing traction before the rear). it's all about achieving the correct balance. for car manufacturers, a little understeer is desired for safety purposes, for most road enthusiasts, increasing the rear is sufficient in adjusting how much the car will roll and getting rid of some understeer.

for race applications, you'd want body roll to be at an absolute minimum, therefore you'd want to stiffen both the front and the rear sways, BUT you should want to achieve a balance that's close to zero understeer, or with a little preference to oversteer (rear wheels losing traction before the front). oversteer let's experienced drivers turn into corners better, more efficient at carrying momentum, etc...

therefore if you stiffen the front, you REALLY need to stiffen up the rear.
I want to change front and rear, that's why I am searching what's available for the front and not only rear.
Old 05-07-16, 04:53 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

In my case, with the IS300h, the weight of the hybrid battery pack gives the car a 50/50 weight distribution. But I suspected the rear Spring rates and sway bar stiffness are the same as the other IS models, and thus all I needed was a little more roll stillness in the rear to compensate for the added weight. The result is a really well balanced car for its power...plus 900-1000km per tankful.

The balance is really superb. My guess would be that aftermarket springs would have adjusted the rear rates for a similar effect.

One of my favourite mods is the TRD door stabilisers. Helps the car feel all of one piece over bumpy corners at very high speeds. The other is the front lower arm bush from the RCF.

What's next? Something to increase front camber.....
Excellent share!! :thumb up:
Did you find out if the RCF front and rear sway will also fit the IS?
Old 05-08-16, 05:52 AM
webra
Pole Position

Excellent share!! :thumb up:
Did you find out if the RCF front and rear sway will also fit the IS?
I believe the mountings are not the same, though the bolt holes might be, but I am not sure.
Old 05-08-16, 01:07 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Make sure to upgrade endlinks too
Old 05-11-16, 01:50 PM
kyoungjook
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Do the end links from the RC350 swap right over into the IS350 as well?

Also, does anyone have part numbers for the RC350 rear sway bar and end links?
Old 05-16-16, 08:52 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jkonquer
What endlinks is available?

Originally Posted by kyoungjook
Do the end links from the RC350 swap right over into the IS350 as well?

Also, does anyone have part numbers for the RC350 rear sway bar and end links?
Might as well upgrade to aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Sway Bar