IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Any recommendations on tires specifically for my driving style?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 12:49 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations on tires specifically for my driving style?

Hi guys!

I have a 2014 lexus is250 with the f sport package. I need new tires, like desperately lol, but I didn't want to go out and buy them without researching and getting opinions from those who have the same car.

I drive "city" more than the highway and I live in Orange County, Ca, near Disneyland. I mainly go on the freeway when going and leaving work, so that's 5 days a week. The other times, I'm mainly driving locally on the streets. I don't special racing ones. I don't technically speed.. I do have my moments where I speed a little too much lol. But I am pretty calm, most of the time. I have my crazy moments, but let's just say I am more calm than crazy lol
Old 04-25-16, 03:15 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

You can just buy the same tires as stock or comparable. If you want a tire that lasts a bit longer than stock, find one in a similar category that has a slightly higher treadwear rating. Wet performance isn't a big deal since it doesn't rain here, so you should be fine with any passenger tire that tire rack says fits the car. Tire Rack doesn't really sell any really crappy brands.
Old 04-25-16, 11:19 PM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. Costco usually have a promotion or rebates on these. Otherwise I would just stick to these brands Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Continental. Pirellis are great, but they don't last that long based on my past experience with them.
Old 04-26-16, 01:09 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Continental DWS
Old 04-26-16, 04:37 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Michelin pilot sport AS3+, and they have been fantastic. Had the Continental DWS 06+, and they felt like I was riding on a turkey sandwich. A bit too much on the soft, comfortable side for my liking. I got rid of them after 800 miles. If you intend to stay in California, I suppose you wouldn't need the All Season version, so you should be fine with the Michelin pilot super aports.
Old 05-18-16, 09:46 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

What about this one ? What do you guys think?

SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED)
Ultra High Performance All-Season
Old 05-18-16, 09:47 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

I think I am in need of tires ASAP! I hear a funny , maybe clunking type of noise from the front hood when I am turning into a parking spot or specifically tight turns.
Old 05-18-16, 10:38 AM
Taideee
Rookie

Originally Posted by gymjenkie
Hi guys!

I have a 2014 lexus is250 with the f sport package. I need new tires, like desperately lol, but I didn't want to go out and buy them without researching and getting opinions from those who have the same car.

I drive "city" more than the highway and I live in Orange County, Ca, near Disneyland. I mainly go on the freeway when going and leaving work, so that's 5 days a week. The other times, I'm mainly driving locally on the streets. I don't special racing ones. I don't technically speed.. I do have my moments where I speed a little too much lol. But I am pretty calm, most of the time. I have my crazy moments, but let's just say I am more calm than crazy lol
I recommend getting some pirelli Pzeros for just average driving
Continental DWS is a great tire but since you live in So-Cal, I don't think you need them.
Michelin Pilot Super sport should be good since its summer all around
Old 05-18-16, 10:45 AM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about this one ? What do you guys think?

SUMITOMO HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED)
Ultra High Performance All-Season
You drive a Lexus so if I were you I would invest in brand name tires. Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli and Goodyear. Anything else is garbage and the ride quality is horrible. Trust me don't buy cheap tires because you're endangering yourself more than you may think. Usually, Costco have great deals on tires and you get a rebate. I recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport.
Old 05-18-16, 12:49 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Oh, so all season is more for like places where it may rain a lot or snow? -.-
Old 05-18-16, 01:37 PM
evident
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Oh, so all season is more for like places where it may rain a lot or snow? -.-
All season is for a larger range of temperatures. It's for people who are willing to sacrifice performance, handling and ride quality so they don't have to swap tires out when it regularly gets to below freezing.

As others have said, you live in southern CA so the weather should be above freezing and within summer tire specifications all year round. summer tires also work great in the rain and will have the best performance.
Summer tires shouldn't be used in any temperatures below 40 and can be outright dangerous in those conditions.
Old 05-18-16, 02:22 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm from the Sacramento area and I never use All-Seasons. You definitely do not need them either.

For the best tire, I would see the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. However, if you aren't racing it or driving all that aggressively, you could go for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. They will give prolly give you a quieter ride while lasting longer.
Old 05-18-16, 02:36 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

That's why I'm confused now because a customer service rep from tirerack.com recommended me the all season tires -.- which made me look into the Continental DWS06
Old 05-18-16, 02:37 PM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely don't need AS for the weather.

If you drive enthusiastically, I would get the PSS (this is what I will do).
If you want them to last longer, get the AS3+.
Old 05-18-16, 02:49 PM
shadykev
Driver School Candidate

+1 Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Last edited by shadykev; 05-18-16 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Michelin

Quick Reply: Any recommendations on tires specifically for my driving style?