IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 03:47 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

NO, it is much SLOWER, multiple times slower.
I have SD in my PC, I have no HD anymore, my Windows boot up in 5-10 sec comparing to a typical HD boot of close to a minute. Plus SD doesn't suffer from defragmentation problems. People who buy PCs these days with HD are those who can't afford an SD or they have monumental storage requirements and SD would be economically impossible.
Old 06-14-16, 10:39 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
NO, it is much SLOWER, multiple times slower.
I have SD in my PC, I have no HD anymore, my Windows boot up in 5-10 sec comparing to a typical HD boot of close to a minute. Plus SD doesn't suffer from defragmentation problems. People who buy PCs these days with HD are those who can't afford an SD or they have monumental storage requirements and SD would be economically impossible.
SD is not SSD. SD = Secure Digital, SSD = Solid State Drive. Even though an SD card is solid state memory, it is in fact quite a bit slower than most hard drives or SSD's.

The cards used in the Lexus Navigation systems are SD speed class 4, which is approximately 4 MB/sec. The fastest SD cards are UHS Class 3, which is 30 MB/sec.

Compare that to a standard-type 5400rpm or 7200rpm laptop hard drive which will average somewhere around 100-125 MB/sec. or something like the SSD in a computer which can hit over 500 MB/sec.

tl;dr: SD cards are way slower than hard drives and way way slower than SSD's.

Jeff
Old 06-14-16, 10:55 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
SD is not SSD. SD = Secure Digital, SSD = Solid State Drive. Even though an SD card is solid state memory, it is in fact quite a bit slower than most hard drives or SSD's.

The cards used in the Lexus Navigation systems are SD speed class 4, which is approximately 4 MB/sec. The fastest SD cards are UHS Class 3, which is 30 MB/sec.

Compare that to a standard-type 5400rpm or 7200rpm laptop hard drive which will average somewhere around 100-125 MB/sec. or something like the SSD in a computer which can hit over 500 MB/sec.

Jeff

Adequate for the intended use, with the advantage of improved "security" through device ID and once locked, they cannot be modified without invalidating the Device ID.
Old 06-14-16, 12:49 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Correct, even if I were wrong about the speed of the particular device in question the fact remains that hard drive in a car these days is a relic because of its size and moving parts. How many hard drives did NASA ever put on their Mars landers or interplanetary probes - zero.
Old 06-14-16, 01:30 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Even with slower transfer rates, generally you aren't transferring very much. What SD cards have that are advantageous is faster access times to the data as hard drives take longer to access the data due to the need to seek.
Old 06-22-16, 09:14 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't like that the non-F Sport seems to have lost its fog lights, though.
Do we know that for fact or perhaps the imagery is at such angle that the lights aren't visible?
Old 06-24-16, 01:27 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
They use SD cards for nav/maps? That seems more archaic than the DVD disc that was in my 06 SC 430.
My BMW & MB use Hard Drives.
Actually you got it backward. When nav system first came out it was on dvd. Then it was moved to hard disk. Now it's in much smaller form like SD or SSD.
Old 06-25-16, 10:06 AM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange

Jeff
You are right Jeff except the automotive drives are 4200 rpm. We categorize them as industrial grade drives due to their higher extreme temperature and vibration tolerance than the regular consumer drives. Even with 4200rpm spin speed they are still faster than SD cards but SSD is the future of automotive drives...
Old 06-25-16, 10:09 AM
MoodyHank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alvinklee
Even with slower transfer rates, generally you aren't transferring very much. What SD cards have that are advantageous is faster access times to the data as hard drives take longer to access the data due to the need to seek.
Well, the automotive HDDs generally have very small capacities (40GB, 60GB and 80GB) so only a small portion of the disc gets used so the head does not have to search long to read.
Old 06-27-16, 06:24 AM
CrackerJac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wish they would integrate the turn signal into the DRL, similarly to the NX and the new LX.
Old 06-27-16, 06:19 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackerJac
I really wish they would integrate the turn signal into the DRL, similarly to the NX and the new LX.
The new RX has this also. I think it looks nicer and clean. How do we know it's not in the making for 2017?
Old 06-28-16, 07:28 AM
mangoman75
Driver School Candidate

saw the new 2017 IS on the road over the weekend. white f-sport with NY tags.. i was behind it on the highway in traffic and i was confused for a minute since the rear lights looked like a hybrid between 2014-16 IS and the new GS. looked pretty nice though. they changed the front DRL so it lights up like a bar, not dots. one thing i noticed is that the headlights were located horizontally in the middle of DRL instead of at the ends like the pre-refresh IS (unless the person had high beams on which i doubt). don't know why but for some reason it didn't look good.. oh well..
Old 06-28-16, 07:47 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mangoman75
saw the new 2017 IS on the road over the weekend. white f-sport with NY tags.. i was behind it on the highway in traffic and i was confused for a minute since the rear lights looked like a hybrid between 2014-16 IS and the new GS. looked pretty nice though. they changed the front DRL so it lights up like a bar, not dots. one thing i noticed is that the headlights were located horizontally in the middle of DRL instead of at the ends like the pre-refresh IS (unless the person had high beams on which i doubt). don't know why but for some reason it didn't look good.. oh well..
I always wanted my IS DRL to be one solid beam of light instead of those dots lol.
Old 06-28-16, 08:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

If I could give a grade for this mid model refresh, i'd give it a solid Fail. It got uglier and its just as slow while the competitors amped up their lineup (335-->340; Q50 RS with 400hp). Complete FAIL Lexus...
Old 07-03-16, 06:39 PM
Cake
Rookie

Anyone know when these will go into production?

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS